2015 Baseball Thread

AKRISONER

Wouldnt it be nice if we all were just nice little civilized robots...use common sense, you have 50,000 people drinking and emotionally charged...I know for a fact that if that game ended 3-2 on that fixed call people were going to lose their cool.

I play hockey in mens league twice a week. Every hockey team of 15 guys has a hot head that loses their cool and lets their emotions get the best of them. THIS IS IN MENS LEAGUE! USE SOME COMMON SENSE LADY!

the baby wouldnt be able to tell the difference from a mid June weeknight game and a Game 5 elimination game.

Regarding the fix....let me point out that the umpire clearly called for timeout and a dead ball as soon as the play happened. The Jays players did not react due to the umpire calling time...at this point no run was scored...the player then reached home plate while the umpires hands were in the air clearly indicating time out. The fact that they put him back on the bag, and then let him score, is quite literally no different than a player stealing second...being called safe...asking for timeout...the umpire calling timeout...The player stepping off the bag to undo their gaurd etc...and then the player subsequently being tagged, and the umpire calling the player out. its literally the exact same situation.

If they would have called a double play on that pompey slide, all hell would have broken lose.

I heard an interview with the Tim Langton, the jays PA announcer...if play continued to be interrupted, the next message they had prepped for the board was a forfeit warning that would have stated that if the play continued to be interrupted the jays would be forced to forfeit...unreal.

Also the tulo butt slap...in a regular season game dyson was getting knocked out...no ifs and or buts about it.

Edited by AKRISONER

It's interesting, I believe in 'the right call' and then the 'right call for the situation'.

Did the umps make the right call on the Martin error? Oh for sure. 100%. But do you make that call in game 5 of the ALDS when the game is tied in the top of the 7th? I have a hard time saying yes. I've always been of the mentality that you let the players determine the game and you don't try to take the game out of their hands.

It was already mentioned but should Pompey have been called for Catcher interference and the double play enforced? In terms of the rules I agree 100%. It should have been a double play. But imagine if that call was made. The game changes. Jays score 1 off of the Tulo single and Revere gets thrown out at second. The game is going to extras and anything can happen. We may be talking different today.

You obviously can't let players get away with murder in the post season but I have always been of the impression that you let a few more calls go that may be game changers unless you absolutely have to. Let the best team win.

End rant.

I agree and disagree with the kids. Firstly, when they're small enough that they wouldn't need to buy a seat, maybe it's best to leave them at home. They'll gain nothing from the experience and won't remember it at all. But you're right, people shouldn't get a free pass because they've had a couple already.

Not to mention poor kids hearing is likely screwed for life LOL

Wouldnt it be nice if we all were just nice little civilized robots...use common sense, you have 50,000 people drinking and emotionally charged...I know for a fact that if that game ended 3-2 on that fixed call people were going to lose their cool.

I play hockey in mens league twice a week. Every hockey team of 15 guys has a hot head that loses their cool and lets their emotions get the best of them. THIS IS IN MENS LEAGUE! USE SOME COMMON SENSE LADY!

the baby wouldnt be able to tell the difference from a mid June weeknight game and a Game 5 elimination game.

I never mentioned emotions, I clearly stated behaviour/conduct. It's completely understandable to let your emotions run during the moment, but letting it dictate your conduct/behaviour afterwards is not and should not be condoned. The two should be mutually exclusive from one another and by all accounts, common sense should be used to prevent beers from being tossed from above.

The same example can be said when there were some Jays fans in the Texas crowd. I'm sure emotions were running high, but I have not heard of any of them being assaulted by any way. If you're a Rangers fan, sure, you might be pissed off that the Jays won, but in no way is it right for them to be assaulted. Again, emotions and conduct/behaviour are mutually exclusive. I hope you can see the difference now.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

I have a lot more respect for the guy now after watching this video. The guy tried to end his life, and almost died on another time, not to mention the abuse as a kid

http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/ra-dickey/

Read his book. It's even more in depth, he's probably one of the more interesting current ball players

I never mentioned emotions, I clearly stated behaviour/conduct. It's completely understandable to let your emotions run during the moment, but letting it dictate your conduct/behaviour afterwards is not and should not be condoned. The two should be mutually exclusive from one another and by all accounts, common sense should be used to prevent beers from being tossed from above.

The same example can be said when there were some Jays fans in the Texas crowd. I'm sure emotions were running high, but I have not heard of any of them being assaulted by any way. If you're a Rangers fan, sure, you might be pissed off that the Jays won, but in no way is it right for them to be assaulted. Again, emotions and conduct/behaviour are mutually exclusive. I hope you can see the difference now.

Then you get a mets fan beaten unconscious by dodger fans on Monday.

It's everywhere in every sport

Now, to be fair (no one should ever be beaten unconscious) but I remember years ago I was in Vancouver with a friend. We went to a Nucks vs Leafs game and wore our Jearsys. We got heckled lots and kept our mouths shut or laughed it off. It's kind of an unwritten rule when you are in enemy territory. We made a few friends who were Nucks fans and they stood up for us.

After the second Intermission we heard that a guy in a leafs Jearsy had a few too many adult beverages, mouthed off to some locals and had to be taken to a hospital. I'm not saying he deserved it, but there are certian unwritten rules.

Sadly, with dark instances like these there is usually alcohol involved.

lmao Dyson's butthurt level just went off the charts

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?The%2bRangers%2bwere%2bpretty%2benraged%2bby%2bBautista%27s%2bbat%2bflip&id=563207

its ok for him to slap tulo on the butt after he pops out tho right? see you in the minors dyson!

Hahah talk about poor sportsmanship.

If it had gone the other way...

For real, when you are the face of baseball for an entire country's team in your barn, please do as you like haha, if that was in Texas probably not but at home definitely

you hit the second biggest homerun in franchise history, he could have ran off the field, did a full lap of the 500's high fiving everyone in the crowd like dickey did after the game...came back out touched all of the bases and it still would have been ok.

For real, when you are the face of baseball for an entire country's team in your barn, please do as you like haha, if that was in Texas probably not but at home definitely

Nah, if it was me I woulda done the same in texas.

Why not?

He never took it to extremes.

He flipped his bat, big deal.

Its happened thousands of times

...I was pretty sure there was going to be a riot if the game ended 3-2 and I was a little uncertain how I was going to escape TO...

what you may not have realised cuz you were inside, was that extra Toronto police were called down to the Dome. they were prepared for a possible shitestorm. which fortunately didn't happen.

I scared the dog when Bautista hit that homerun. I have honestly not felt that nervous excitement since I stopped playing ball competatively, I miss that feeling to be honest.

The ruling was correct on the Martin throw though, they originally had the rule confused, but they got it right, doesn't matter that the ump called time, the runner would have scored if he hadn't, and that was the ruling, Donaldson had no shot at throwing him out, even if he had reacted right away. it sucks, but thats the way it is.

I commend the umpires in this game, they did a great job given the circumstances and high stakes, the throw out at third, the foul ball down the left field line, the non intentional interference, and the slide by pompey, which was a legal slide, he was well within reach of the base, did not even leave the running lane. The strikezone was tight, but consistant.

I feel sorry for Andrus though, he was part of all 3 errors in that inning, thats a horrible feeling on its own, but to then have it lead to you losing the series, is worse

what you may not have realised cuz you were inside, was that extra Toronto police were called down to the Dome. they were prepared for a possible shitestorm. which fortunately didn't happen.

No, it was pretty obvious there were additional police called inside too. Yellow jackets and bike helmets of all things. I actually spoke to a pair of officers outside my section after the game and they were VERY happy the Jays won. For many reasons. lol

Oddly enough though, as you mention police outside, after the game walking to our car I only saw one police officer. I actually ran into as many x-NHLers (Jeff O'Neil) than I did officers outside. I was expecting to see the mounted police and at least a smattering of riot gear, but nothing.

I'm glad I recorded the replay of the game once I got home because there was a lot going on that I didn't know about. TV didn't really do it justice, because the emotion in there was INTENSE. Down, then up, then WAY down then THROUGH THE ROOF. I don't want to say the antics were called for, but I almost want to say it was justifiable. The only thing that could have done the bat flip justice with all that built up emotion was if it exploded mid air. I actually forgot about those random bench clearings. As soon as I sat down to catch my breath everything got going again. I've been to rock concerts where I was crowd surfing and moshing, and I was just as exhausted after watching that game.

That's hilarious drifter!!!! The whining Rangers players who said its not in the spirit of baseball are just angry they booted the ball 3 times that even allowed him to blast one out of there.

I think it's funny that MLB.com has been saying how epic it was. If it wasn't in the best interest of baseball, why would their official website say this? And every other sportscaster I've seen from the US is saying it was an amazing thing as well. Lol