sturgeon lake water levels

ecmilley

Stupid low. Pigeon is way low too.

They have allowed for huge spring runoff that is not going to happen this year.

How will this affect the walleye spawn?

i am the optimist, i figure they cant lower it anymore to expose the eggs

It was too muddy to take a picture at the launch, of the lagoon where we park our boats...seemed strange to see the docks high and dry with no water underneath...

Where is the water that they are holding back ?

This is at the dam in bobcaygeon where the walleyes will be in a week or so !!!! Eggs high & dry as usual !!! They are 1 inch away from historic low level !!!! I have fired off emails to parks canada and Trent Severn water goons !!!!! Same crap all the time !!!! I have been the only one who noticed it all winter long it's ridiculous

You can walk right up to the base of the dam and touch it ???? It's bad for sure !!!!! Never ever seen it this low !!!!!! Every year they get worse at water management that's for sure !!! It just kept dropping all winter more & more & more !!!! :((

Edited by fishindevil

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Tax dollars hard at work. Just think. hiring monkeys would only cost us Bananas.

Well at least there wont be a repeat of flooding in other years. We all know how people living in flood prone areas get when they have to deal with flooding.

Edited by moxie

Good news is that the walleye haven't started their spring spawning yet, most years they drop the water levels after the walleye spawn and leave the eggs high and dry. Sturgeon Lake is just starting to show some signs of open water in the current areas, I'm thinking ice out here in about another 2-3 weeks at least. There is still plenty of ice on the Scugog River as of yesterday and only a small area of open water down by Lunge Haven for those that know the area.

Many of those that draw water from the lake are having problems, with the water level so low, many of the water lines have frozen solid. Friends of ours down the road have been without running water for the last two months!

I would guess though that the water management job must be a really tough one, you just aren't going to please everyone no matter what you do. Keep the water levels high and run the risk of flooding out a lot of people and causing millions in damages. Drop it too low and people are running out of water and you are affecting wildlife.... Tough job, glad I don't have to do it!

Good news is that the walleye haven't started their spring spawning yet, most years they drop the water levels after the walleye spawn and leave the eggs high and dry. Sturgeon Lake is just starting to show some signs of open water in the current areas, I'm thinking ice out here in about another 2-3 weeks at least. There is still plenty of ice on the Scugog River as of yesterday and only a small area of open water down by Lunge Haven for those that know the area.

Many of those that draw water from the lake are having problems, with the water level so low, many of the water lines have frozen solid. Friends of ours down the road have been without running water for the last two months!

I would guess though that the water management job must be a really tough one, you just aren't going to please everyone no matter what you do. Keep the water levels high and run the risk of flooding out a lot of people and causing millions in damages. Drop it too low and people are running out of water and you are affecting wildlife.... Tough job, glad I don't have to do it!

Thanks Cliff. Trying to plan what weekend to put the dock in and your reports help.

And I agree water level management can't be an easy job.

I took a couple pictures at Burliegh Falls this morning to show how low the water is compared to the same place last spring.

Last year...

018.jpg

021.jpg

012.jpg

Same place this morning...

010_1.jpg

009.jpg

008_2.jpg

Nice shots Lew !!! I have some from last year too but it's the lowest I have ever seen it and I was arguing with parks canada about it !!!! They have no clue ..... I call them the Trent Severn water goons !!!! Controlled by a switch and a key board click in Toronto !!!!! They dropped it all winter continuously and yes peoples water lines are frozen and dry as well as damage from low water it will rise yes but not in the way it should and not natural man has screwed it up again !!! Everyear they make it worse & worse !!!!!

Thanks Cliff. Trying to plan what weekend to put the dock in and your reports help.

And I agree water level management can't be an easy job.

Paul, anytime you need detailed information, pictures, anything, just let me know and when the time comes to do the dock thing, I would be more than happy to lend a hand!

Got the float from Sinker, I would think it will be a lot of help and I am going over to Patric's Tire on Tuesday to get some tubes. I also have some VERY heavy duty ratchet straps and I am going to be buying a barn jack this week. If I have it and you need it, it's yours! (that goes for anything but the dog and the wife and the wife is negotiatable :whistling: ) (don't tell the dog, it will go to her head).

Edited by Big Cliff

Paul, anytime you need detailed information, pictures, anything, just let me know and when the time comes to do the dock thing, I would be more than happy to lend a hand!

Got the float from Sinker, I would think it will be a lot of help and I am going over to Patric's Tire on Tuesday to get some tubes. I also have some VERY heavy duty ratchet straps and I am going to be buying a barn jack this week. If I have it and you need it, it's yours! (that goes for anything but the dog and the wife and the wife is negotiatable :whistling: ) (don't tell the dog, it will go to her head).

Lol. I'll call you soon for the tire tubes. Thanks.