Separate gps fishfinder units vs combination

tomkat

I bought a HDS-5 when I got my new boat 4 years ago and I love it! I really like having both the sonar and GPS on the screen at the same time and it takes up a lot less dash space than having two seperate units. If I want, I can switch easily between sonar or GPS, or have both and adjust their size on the screen.

It also means less wiring harnesses and things to connect which made the install easier. Upgrades are simple to install when they do come out because they usually apply to both so one quick update and you have it.

The downside is that if the unit does go down, you loose both, that isn't a big deal for me and in 4 years it hasn't happened (touch wood). I also think that sometimes dedicated units do give you a little better quality although I have no complaints about the quality of my unit!

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other I guess but if doing it again I would go with what I have.

I have a Humminbird combo unit and love it. Less wiring, less clutter, less cost (maybe), and some extra functionality like the iPilot link stuff where the GPS enabled sonar unit can basically drive my boat for me.

I'm not concerned about it breaking. I've never had a fish finder break while I was out fishing, and if it did it would only be a small inconvenience for a few days.

I'm also not concerned about the GPS breaking .... I don't fish anywhere where I truly NEED GPS anyway. It's just a 'nice to have'.

Only my opinion, but I've always found images too small when you split a 5" screen for both sonar & GPS.

I've got a 7" GPS on the dash in front of me and a 5" sonar on the left side consol and then another 5" up on the bow.

The one on the left side is close enough to be able to see it with no problem and it still gives me a full 7" screen for GPS.

Everybodies gonna have their own opinion though.

Cnv11071.jpg

Think I might just go with what I have for now I can always upgrade it if I feel the need thanks for the input. Got a lund rebel 1650 walkthrough I think the max might be a 7 inch screen due to space. I'll see when I pick it up. Thanks for the input

Got a 164 PrinceCraft walk through so similar in size. It is really going to depend on what you need. I use the GPS when I want to go to a specific spot then the sonar to work the area.

From my experience, get what you want now, the resale value on anything used is not going to be anything close to it's value even if you haven't used it.

The boat comes with lowrance x3 and I have the elite 5 gps I was thinking of going to elite 7 but I can always add my gps which won't cost any extra. Already spent more than I planned anyways.

You should be able to opt out of the unit that comes with the boat for a credit that can then be used to actually purchase what you really want.

I have a new boat on order and it would of came with a Lowrance X4 fish finder only. However, I already have 2 Lowrance LMS 520c units that are networked together on my old boat that I will be taking off and re-installing on the new fishing machine. I am getting $145 off the boat price by not getting the factory fish finder they offer.

Good Luck and enjoy the new boat. I'm sure you can't wait to get it. I hope mine will be built and arrive by late April as the dealer promised me.

I knew I should not have gone to the boat show.......LOL....those free tickets cost me over 27K .... :)

Big fan of the multiple units here. I have 2 HDS 8 at the bow and a 12 and a 9 at the console. Love the extra detail with the full size screens. There are some excellent deals on the HDS gen 2 out there . I am a big believer in buying once even if itt means a small sacrifice to get it done....(somebody goes without food for a while)..also I never remove my units