Any meat smokers out there?

Rattletrap2

for fish I use the blend like I posted on page 1 (black cherry and apple). when I make my brine for the fish I keep some for a spray bottle too. keeps the fish nice and moist... ;) a great brine makes a huge diff too.

Im guessing searching for a fresh source of wood is better then store bought?

Or not much difference

Bigger chips and chunks for smoking. You also know how old they are. Some packaged stuff has been sitting on the store shelves 4 and 5 years or more.

Great posts guys! I am always on the lookout for anyone with apple or cherry trees that they want taken down. Pretty much any fruit or nut wood is good to use. Like already mentioned, you can over do it with some of the stronger woods. The result could be biterness in the meat.

My home built reverse flow unit will still be my main unit for when I have time to tend to it. There is something about the satisfaction of cooking on something you built yourself. I hope to use the WSM for longer smokes such as overnight. From what I have read, they are very simple to use and very fuel efficient. The 18.5" model usually sells for $340 to $360 here. I found mine at HD just before Christmas with a sticker on it for $170 and could not pass it up. I am also in the process of building a mini WSM that is 14" dia. There are tons of plans online to do this. i have read that the WSM's run hot for the first few smokes and it helps to use the water pan during this time only. Filling the pan with play sand and wrapping with heavy duty foil seems lie an option for later. Once you have things heated up, the sand acts as thermal mass to maintain an even temp.

Friends have the fancy pellet burners with electronic control, but that is not my style. The advantage to them is being able to set them up to cook and being able to leave and do other stuff without worrying about your fire dying down.

Lowes seems to be a pretty good source for a good selection of wood chunks and different types of charcoal.

200x200px-ZC-3f82638e_2014-09-1418.04.50

Here is a shot of my home built unit in operation!

Cook Chamber is 12" dia x 32" long and made from an old refrigerant cylinder. The firebox is actually over sized for the CC but I like it to hold extra fuel. I have a single stainless steel grate inside. The chimney is sch.10 stainless steel as well. On second thought, i wish I had used the 100# propane cylinder in the background!

There are adjustable air intakes under the fire and over the fire to control temps. The stack damper is only used to snuff out the fire when I'm done or to keep rain out when not in use. Controlling the fire is where the fun comes in providing you have the time to tend to it!

Edited by Rattletrap2

Interesting, I like the idea of the electric for the set it and forget it idea but the pucks would add up quick

Much cheaper from Bradley direct though I see, $10.99 for 48 and there's some YouTube on how to diy pucks

Edited by Lucas F

I smoked some salmon with home made wood chips and chunks. Turned out awesome... I have some maple, cherry and apple from the firewood pile. My next project is to try making my own charcoal..

Im guessing searching for a fresh source of wood is better then store bought?

Or not much difference

Since I use wood to heat I always have a lot lying around. I use mostly hickory and or maple....any kind of maple is very mild. I have never had a problem with hickory being to over powering.......I start off with a small charcoal fire and actually add small logs that have been soaking overnight in a 5 gallon bucket.

I have had this monster smoker/grill for over 15 years and have never seen another one like it. It's VERY heavy gauge steel and must weigh over 150 lbs. The bottom box is where you make the fire if your smoking. The top box can be used for the meat/fish being smoked or as a BBQ with either wood or charcoal. My sons have been looking for one like this for a few years with no luck.

GrillsontheDeck003.jpg

I built this propane smoker out of an old steel interior fridge and have used it to cook everything from cookies (no smoke) to veggies to 30lb chunks of pork. The double wall construction and insulation makes it hold heat very well so winter smoking isn't an issue and it'll easily maintain 400 f.

SDC10129_zpsa18fb371.jpg

I have a ton of aged apple wood so I use it for everything, including salmon this weekend.

I have a 4 lb slab of pork belly that has been curing in the fridge for a week now, it should be ready to go into the smoker tomorrow and homemade bacon is on the menu for Sunday brunch!!

You forgot to post that Sunday Brunch time or is this for Easter Brunch and again when should we arrive.... :)

You forgot to post that Sunday Brunch time or is this for Easter Brunch and again when should we arrive.... :)

I don't think a 4 lb slab would go far with this crew LOL, we've been known to go through 10 lbs here on a weekend and that was with only a few members droping by.

You don't know me very well LOL. Our door is always open and we can always find room for one more at the table. The soup might get watered down a little more and the bread sliced a little thinner, you might get handed an apron or a towel (or a hammer depending on what is going on at the time) but friends and family are what we enjoy the most. :)