Any meat smokers out there?

Rattletrap2

I just read the long thread on "cooking" and got to thinking that there might be others out there with an interest in smoking meats low and slow?

I see Cliff does some bacon and Lucas F is into pulled pork in the oven. I built myself a reverse flow stick burner last year and really got into this as a hobby. I also picked up a Weber Smoky Mountain vertical cooker and can't wait to get going on that when things warm up a bit more. I have a huge packer brisket in the freezer just waiting!

Anyone else into doing pork shoulders, ribs, brisket, etc.?

I have done some beef jerky in the smoker, but find the oven does a great job on this.

I smoke meat on a Weber Smoky Mountain regularly. I love it, especially on a Sunday during football season. Fire it up and smoke away while having a few pops and watching the games.

My favorite meats are ribs (4-6 hrs), pulled pork shoulders (8-10 hrs), salmon(2-2.5 hrs), brisket (about 6-8 hrs), and steak (about 30 minutes then finish on BBQ).

There are lots of great rub recipes online, most fairly similar and most featuring common spices you already have on hand.

My favorite woods so far are cherry, pecan and maple. I only use a couple of decent sized pieces of wood.

I prefer versions of the 3-2-1 method. I usually start with the meat unwrapped for 2 hrs while the wood is really smoking, then wrap in foil until about 1/2 hr to 1 hr before done at which time I unwrap the meat for little firmer bark.

I don't use water in the WSM. I have a clay flower pot base that I wrap in foil and slide into the bowl. I then cover the boil with foil so that is has a bit of a hollow in it. This catches the grease dripping from the meat. When you are done, you simply pull off the top layer of foil and the bowl stays clean. Easier to keep the temp up when the weather is cold too because you are not heating up any water.

Don't hesitate to wrap potatoes and carrots in foil with a little butter, salt, pepper and whatever else you like. Put the potatoes on for the last 2 hrs or so and the carrots for the last 1 1/2 or so. They are amazing and you have done everything on the smoker. (rutabaga, beets, any firm veg will work great)

Have fun. Andy

Edited by Andy

I smoke fish often but for some reason I didn't last year... Cliff, Will (the former young_one) have sampled my cooking and said it was great so I'll take their word for it because I think its great too. It's funny when I do smoke salmon, trout or even walleye it's gone in a few minutes when anyone's around; my kids included. They eat it like it's candy... I get the best flavours from a mix of black cherry and maple wood. The leftover water in the bucket I use to soak the wood chunks (it smells like a wine) so I tend to put some of that in the drip bowl too. Not sure if it helps the flavour or not but might as well put it to use...

A friend down the road does all the smoking for us, not the stuff Justin T. smokes, his brines are a family secret. He says it's all in the brine. I really love smoked brisket best but not a steady diet of any smoked meat or fish. When in Finland we lived on smoked fish and Reindeer. I never had another piece of smoked anything for a few years. Reindeer is kinda hard to find around here, as well as Tar soup.

Rick, what kind of smoker are you after? There is a decent propane unit at TSC that I used for a few seasons that worked great. I made one many years ago out of wood and used an electric hotplate as well. It really all depends on how you want to use it and how often and no matter what; you will not get the same feedback either way... lol I'm on my 4th smoker unit now...

PS, I had the $199 1 door master chef unit and I would rather of had the 2 door for the extra $50 based on what I had just seen on the CTC site. *hence the edit*

Edited by GBW

Rick, what kind of smoker are you after? There is a decent propane unit at TSC that I used for a few seasons that worked great. I made one many years ago out of wood and used an electric hotplate as well. It really all depends on how you want to use it and how often and no matter what; you will not get the same feedback either way... lol I'm on my 4th smoker unit now...

PS, I had the $199 1 door master chef unit and I would rather of had the 2 door for the extra $50 based on what I had just seen on the CTC site. *hence the edit*

Honestly it was awhile back Geoff I cant recall?

Thanks for the info Ill go take a look tomorrow.

I dont need anything fancy I just wanna be able to smoke meat thats edible lol.

Maybe later on as I learn and experiment Id look at other options

I started 2 years ago and went electric last year and also have an amaze-n pellet smoker for cold smokes. Meats are great, lots of info online for that. My favourite stuff is cold smoking cheese and spices. Super easy but the flavours you can get are amazing.

If your are interested in just set it and forget it a well insulated electric or propane is best. If you like to tinker and get the more classical open fire flavours a charcoal is needed. Or both!

I have a charcoal side smoker aka the rusty box. It's allot of work but the results are fantastic. I also have an electric from tsc. The electric is nice I can throw some meat on in the am go play a round of golf come home to a delicious meal.

Im sold.

I love food and golf?

I've had a Big Chief smoker for around 20 years. Best $120 I ever spent. Holds plenty for me. I bought an extra one at a garage sale for $15 two years ago. I've probably used it mostly for fish, from store bought trout, whitefish, pink salmon etc, to fresh caught Lakers and my favorite, Arctic Char from up north when I had the connection and worked for First Air. I've also done lots of spiced pork chops when they go on sale and then frozen for future use.

Two more benefits I get from my smoker. I buy old bread loafs cheap and then dry it out totally. Cut it chunks and smoke till golden. Process, and you have the best bread crumbs ever. So versatile. If you have an extra shelf take a pie plate with some quality salt on it and smoke it till golden. Amazing the difference a sprinkle of that can add to a meal.

Cheers

Be careful with mesquite and hickory. You can over smoke real easy.

I like cherry personally . I usually only use wood hips for the first 2-3 hours of a smoke.

A nice mop is ness carry also I like red wine apple juice and shallots. Bring to a boil on the stove then let cool I keep it in a spray bottle.

Be careful with mesquite and hickory. You can over smoke real easy.

I like cherry personally . I usually only use wood hips for the first 2-3 hours of a smoke.

A nice mop is ness carry also I like red wine apple juice and shallots. Bring to a boil on the stove then let cool I keep it in a spray bottle.

I like the spray idea, im sure lotsa stuff would be good for that.

When you say oversmoke, does that just mean its too intense of a flavor?