First time building a garden

LostAnotherOne

Great advice guys. It sounds to me it's probably going to take me a few seasons to get it down right. I live in Paris, ON and have noticed there's lots of small rocks buried all over my property. They are everywhere so it's probably best to build on top cause those rocks may interfere will the growth of the vegetable. Don't have any connections when it comes to getting manure so I will probably just by top soil at the store. Seems that weeds may be my biggest problem by what everybody is saying. Any other supplies I may need to buy besides seeds?

Great advice guys. It sounds to me it's probably going to take me a few seasons to get it down right. I live in Paris, ON and have noticed there's lots of small rocks buried all over my property. They are everywhere so it's probably best to build on top cause those rocks may interfere will the growth of the vegetable. Don't have any connections when it comes to getting manure so I will probably just by top soil at the store. Seems that weeds may be my biggest problem by what everybody is saying. Any other supplies I may need to buy besides seeds?

You should use 5-10-5 fertilizer in that garden.......especially if you skip the manure....skipping the manure will also keep the weeds down as there is a lot of weed seed in there. I only use 5-10-5 myself.

Asparagus, is a perennial root best worked on in the fall. On the existing bed, a generous manuring is good, but the bed will grow old, less productive. Start another new bed. Dig up some of the root, and start in anther well fertilized trench. It takes about 3 years before you see any real result, but the old bed will have also been given a little natural kick in the meantime as it grows to recover from what you disturbed.

Thank you. I've no idea how old this bed (it's actually a row in the garden) is or how to guesstimate its age. I guess the best plan would be to fertilize and see how it compares to last, then in the fall decide to start a new bed?

Start small and increase it next year if you wish. I would go with a raised bed if I were you. My garden is 8x20 and its perfect for me I can weed it in an hour and 20 minutes a day for everything else. With decent yields for the wife and I. Then you will have to get into canning in the fall or give most of your stuff away. I did that the first year but have been canning ever since. Lots of fun.

I'm not one for gardening but happened to find this on You Tube a while ago.

The great information on various topics, funny commentary and the passion in the host has made me watch almost every episode.

I think they are well worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPDuE_dvHU&list=PLTYPv_2bX-iudNkjQ-ujjob1ZNim9wBYH

Meely

Edited by Meely

When pop had his gardens,it was full of, sweet corn,tomatoes,potatoes,carrots,swiss chard,radish,peas,beans and peppers, leaf lettuce,cucumbers, beets and yes, we ate the tops. The list goes on.

I can still remember the days of shoveling up the garden in the spring.Pop always did it when we were wee fellas,but eventually we got into the act as well. Dig (jump on the spade),lift,turn and chop the dirt.This was a work out that we really didnt look forward to,but me bothers and I, knew it was a bonding thing. Years later,our sis got into the game. Girl or boys,you did your share. For years we all took care of it. Watering,pulling weeds, pruning. We learned how to.

Today there are nice machines to do all that pre hard work. My pop uses a tiller now and still gardens.He,s trying different things these days. One that stands out it Russian potatoes. Not bad. When you need it done, and theres now child labor around,you do what needed. LOL

A growers tip for tomatoes. If you want sturdy healthy plants you have to plant them deep. Buy a taller plant. Does not matter if it is a little spindly. When you dig your hole, depth of pot is too shallow. Bury the plant right up to the first branch. That entire section of stem will sprout root, making for a sturdier, healthier, heat tolerant plant.

Yes, what we are doing:
In the fall we cut off a couple tips of the tomato (tomato: brandy wine) plants.
Planting these tips in a flower pot and with a bit luck you have tomatoes at christmas at your window sill.
Plant it back into the garden in the spring.
We have now 3 year old brandy wine tomato plants. Brandy wine is an heirloom beefsteak tomato
Furthermore we have chili plants like hot banana peppers, cherry peppers and loco peppers in flower pots in the garden. During the winter they are in the house and give us fresh hot hot chilies. Very productive is the loco chili, we got way more than 150 fruit per plant during the sommer.

Well, as an alternative for a rocky garden, how about flower pots?

Here are some from our garden

IMG_1840_k_zpslrshagtg.jpg

IMG_1834_k_zpsm5zev6vc.jpg

IMG_1830_k_zpszhtvzp8p.jpg

IMG_1829_k_zpsnx6reyeh.jpg

06082014_loco_zpsxepny4gd.jpg

Here's my advice. :)

When you start your bed, double dig it if your soil depth allows. This will set you up for a long time. Basically it involves digging down a shovel depth and then after setting that aside dig down another shovel depth, break it up and amend it with compost or other organic matter and nutrients, then backfill with what you originally dug up and amend. This gives much more nice soil for the root to grow into as well as giving better drainage for years. Or build a raised bed to get soil depth like bigugli recommended. I had to. I'm in Lanark lol. We grow good rock. I built 20" high boxes.

If you can stay organic with your fertilizing, so much the better. Compost is your gardens best friend, It's the best thing you can feed your garden as it's full of organic matter and all the friendly bacteria that you need to feed the soil. "Feed your soil and it feeds your plants" should be your mantra. Hardwood ashes, lime, bone and blood meal etc are the way to go along with your organic. Chemical based ferts are a downward spiral as they kill all the natural bacteria that make up a healthy soil and cause the build up a salt deposits. If you can make your own compost piles so much the better. Also check out compost tea, specially the aerated ones you make yourself, which can really give your plants a boost. This is a good site to start with. http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/organic-fertilizers?page=0,1

Rotate your crops. Specially important with certain ones like tomatoes et al. Planting legumes like beans is great for your soil, as they fix nitrogen in the soil and make it available for your next crop.

Companion planting was mentioned. That's good for sure to learn, but just as important is what not to plant together, like carrots and dill for example.

Don't forget repellent flowers like marigolds and nasturtiums to keeps bad insects like aphids away. Herbs can also be excellent for this as well as giving you a steady harvest. Nothing beats cutting some fresh herbs from your garden for cooking.

Lime is great for adjusting your ph. Many soils need it and if you add any peat moss to your beds you should add it as ph is quite important. Things may grow, but not as good as they could.

Are you a garlic fan? I really love my garlic. Use a lot lol. I haven't bought any from a store since I started growing my own over a dozen years ago. There is absolutely no comparison in the quality and taste of home grown garlic compared to the grocery store cheap, lousy, crappy stuff from China. yecchh!!

Here's the good news!! It's simple to grow, gives you a 400% return on your investment in the first year, and you get to replant your own garlic every year for free. And by going to any farmers market or garlic fest in July you can have the choice of 15-20 different varieties, depending on your taste preferences. Can't beat that IMO. I plant hard neck porcelain type, which keeps until May for me, and also produce "scapes", which must be removed mid season. This is an added bonus, as they are great eating in many ways.

I plant 150 garlic cloves in November. 3 inches deep, pointy end up hehe. I then mulch heavily with dead leaves. In July I get 150 bulbs of varying size, depending on the size of the clove. Plant 6 inches apart. That takes a 4'x12' bed. So if you only want to have 50 plants you only need a 4'x4' bed. Can't beat that. It's actually my most valued harvest. It raises the quality standard of anything I use it with, including my pickles and sausages.

Hope this helps. Even my garlic spiel hehe. I just started with the double dig and then I couldn't just stop there lol. I just happened to notice your thread. Gardening is good for mind, body and soul in so many ways, including the work and maintenance. You'll enjoy it.

Cheers

As long as your not planting or digging on the septic bed, and as long as you get the proper breakdown of matter, you are fine. When younger, one of our gardens was downhill from the septic bed. Was the richest piece of ground, had the best yields of tomato, huge pears, and almost never needed watering

As long as your not planting or digging on the septic bed, and as long as you get the proper breakdown of matter, you are fine. When younger, one of our gardens was downhill from the septic bed. Was the richest piece of ground, had the best yields of tomato, huge pears, and almost never needed watering

Ok thanks. This location would actually be slightly uphill from the septic, but it seems to be the only logical area to garden.

Much of the yard is heavily shaded with apple and plum trees.

The space is limited with all the trees, we can maybe do 30×30

Edited by manitoubass2

Ok thanks. This location would actually be slightly uphill from the septic, but it seems to be the only logical area to garden.

Much of the yard is heavily shaded with apple and plum trees.

The space is limited with all the trees, we can maybe do 30×30

Heavy shade would be a bigger problem. 90% of your foodstuffs need full sun

Heavy shade would be a bigger problem. 90% of your foodstuffs need full sun

Yeah thats why im limited to the spot im talking about. Its the only spot that would receive sun. Its sort of off the side of the yard.

Its not a perfect spot but it would receive sun all day but the area is fairly small. Id like to go bigger its just not possible.

Edited by manitoubass2

Regarding the question of gardens & septic systems,one fall while chicken hunting I came across an area that contained a pit used for dumping septic tank contents.

Around the edges were lots of tomato plants & there were some of the biggest tomatoes I have ever!

I considered taking some to work to share with an annoying co-worker :whistling:

It was mentioned that herbs were easy to grow & I couldn't agree more,plus they add so much to the taste of home cooking.

I just started growing them last year,but will be planting lots more this year.

photo 10349003_10202383778346707_6935314675189537569_n_zps8120rxrh.jpg

Over the years I have had many gardens, everything from 50 X 200’ when I lived in French River which with canning and freezing helped keep our food cost down, to where I am today.

I learned a lot of things over the years but some of the key points were; potatoes and carrots take up a lot of space for the value you get from them, the work and space required to grow and harvest 50 pounds of potatoes which you can go and buy for about $15.00 isn’t good value. That said however as others have mentioned don’t do it to save money, do it for the pleasure it gives you.

I am now down to a little asparagus patch 2’ X 14’ a horseradish patch 2’ X 8’ and a mint patch of about the same (nothing better than homemade mint sauce with lamb or venison) and a few small pots of herbs.

The asparagus patch is about 8 years old now but healthy as ever, I over seed it each spring with a package of fresh seed and add about 2” of new compost and that little patch produces way more than we can eat, I usually end up pickling some, freezing some, and giving the rest to neighbors.

Unless you are willing to can or freeze stuff don’t plant much of any one thing unless you are willing to stager the start times of different batches. If you don’t you’ll have bunches of the same thing ready all at the same time. A nice handful of fresh beans are great but when you end up with ½ a bushel all ready to be harvested at the same time you are either going to be giving them away or preserving them.

I never use any chemical fertilizers for any of my vegetables, we compost everything we can; all our food waste (excluding meat and bones)leaves, and best of all even weeds from the lake (let them dry before you compost them though). I get probably close to ½ a yard of really good compost for free every year just from doing that (mostly from the lake weeds).

Edited by Big Cliff

Our small garden is mostly a hobby & that we hope it is teaching our kids hard work pays off. We are fans of picking lettuce each night for dinner and our annual batch of tomato salsa is thoroughly enjoyed.

1.jpg

...We are fans of picking lettuce each night for dinner...

Same here.

Maybe you like to boost your lettuce with a real healthy chicory. One of the best for mixed lettuce, earliest in the spring and it's coming back after winter.

A hit for cooking the whole year, 3 weeks after planting the seed until frost.

http://westonseeds.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_35&products_id=214

Edited by Bluegill

Good soil, sunshine and elbow grease is a great start.

Start mulching everything from your kitchen except meat and dairy. Bury fish remains, great potassium.

Don't let weeds take over.

Soil with too much clay can be loosened up by tilling in manure, sand and loam. Soil should be well drained but able to retain moisture.

Do lots of reading.

I personally find gardening therapeutic and satisfying.

Lots of the stuff I grow never seems to make it to the house, gets eaten right in the patch.

Bernie, are you talking about "gets eaten right in the patch" by you, or by critters? lol My biggest fear about making a garden here at our place is that the rabbits will be the ones to benefit! I'm sure I would do all the work, but just be feeding the critters!

there's some great information in this thread and hopefully it will help me with my asparagus and garlic this year !

Asparagus is one of the neat things we do have in our flower garden! It just comes up "wild" every year. We don't harvest it. It grows into a small tree that adds lots of greanery and looks really cool!