How many snowfalls

lew

Been lotsa talk around here lately about how February has been much more like winter than December & January.

End of January we didn't have much snow in my little corner of the Kawarthas but we've had quite a bit in the last month or so. I took this picture a few minutes ago and it clearly shows each individual snowfall on my garage roof in the last little while.

The thick top layer is 4-5 inches we got a few days ago and hasn't been compacted yet.

Or maybe I'm the only one that thinks it's interesting :lol:

002_1.jpg

Well, I am running out of places to put it. Our deck is down to a pathway now and the snow is piled higher than the railings. First time in the 15 years that we have been here. It seems that this year if it isn't snowing, it's drifting and all too often, both.

The temperature, it's just nuts this year. The furnace has no down time, even at night. Usually when it goes to the the night time temperature setting, it runs maybe 3-4 times a night, hell it's still going 3-4 times an hour. Even the 14 day long range doesn't see anything above zero. I'm betting it's going to throw a real nut into the maple syrup production. If it warms up too fast, it will be over in no time rather than a regular minus 5 at night and just above in the day lasting for a few weeks. Even the rivers that I usually see open pockets are completely frozen over this year.

This winter is not as bad as last winter here on the Erie north shore. I can't shovel much any longer so I get the guy to use his little tractor and snow blower do it. By this time last year I had him out 12 times, twice this year. We haven't gotten as many lake effect storms or snow squalls as they are called in Canada. The wind turbines are almost always facing NW. There are still 15 plus foot drifts here and February is much colder than 2014. Last year the township had to truck away snow from Lakeshore Rd because the plows couldn't get the snow up high enough. They buried a few small 3 season cottages and they flooded after the thaw. Nice work eh?

Heck they are calling for 2 days of 0C this weekend and 2 days nest week at plus 3 and plus 4. I will believe it when I see it so I'm not running out to buy Sunscreen just yet.

By looking out the window this year there has to be 20 plus foot high mounds of ice and snow a few miles offshore now. I haven't seen 1 snow machine out on the lake this year. Last year it was like the 403 some weekends with machines buzzing by.

With my luck an Iceberg is going to wash up on shore this June.

The snow and cold are just part of winter. The front of the house is piled pretty high with snow, and I've had to dig a path in the backyard for the dogs to run.

The toughest part of this winter is keeping my 10 year old clunker running. It seems every trip to the cancer clinic either coincides with snow or a bitter cold alert.

If I have to stay indoors, not so bad. Don't have much time for ice fishing. Been too busy casting jigs on the warmer days outside, and tying and painting when it's colder. Lots of orders to fill and 2 upcoming fishing shows are keeping me very busy.

I have taken snow off my roof about 6 times this winter to be safe and yes here in caygeon it snowed a fair amount in febuary but still nowhere near what we had last year !!! This year it's been the cold for sure !!! Lots of broken and frozen pipes here in the kawarthas that's for sure

We haven't gotten a lot of snow - at least in one shot. But, there for a while it seems like we were getting a few inches or so every other day. Getting tired of getting up for work and shovelling the walks and drive-way. Wy can't mother nature just dup it on us - once and done - and get it over with. LOL