Independent Fishing Stores

LostAnotherOne

How it going guys. So hopefully I'm not the only guy here who supports those fishing stores down the street without that popular sign above there store like Canadian Tire and Walmart. When fishing for tackle and other stuff I always head to my nearest fishing store not to just grab stuff, but to talk to the guys there. They have a ton of knowledge that I'm sure CT and Walmart can't even compare too. Imagine heading to CT and asking some kid where the fish are hitting. Just my two cents.

CT moved in to Minden, and Jack sold Minden Live Bait and Tackle.

I remember walking in there one winter morning, there was the owner Jack, Brent Coltman, Rocky Crawford, Jack Prentice and myself. We all chatted. Priceless conversation! These guys are Haliburton back lake living legends. You don't get that at CT or Wally.

CT moved in to Minden, and Jack sold Minden Live Bait and Tackle.

What!!! He close up, or just sold to someone else?

I remember when he first opened up in the early 80's on top the intersection.

That would leave no shop from the 48 on up along the 35?

That was John (slim, soft spoken guy) in the 80's at the corner. Another great guy. He sold to Jack and he moved it south of Highland Supply beside Boatwerks. Jack recently bailed and a younger couple bought it, it's still open, new owners, nice people, hopefully they do well.

That was John (slim, soft spoken guy) in the 80's at the corner. Another great guy. He sold to Jack and he moved it south of Highland Supply beside Boatwerks. Jack recently bailed and a younger couple bought it, it's still open, new owners, nice people, hopefully they do well.

I do hope they do well. It was the only shop left once Norland closed up. I trapped frogs for them long time back

Count me in for shopping at the smaller local tackle shops. Saturday morning on the way to our daughter & son in laws for a visit. Lo & behold we were near Grimsby tackle - my truck suddenly took a hard left right into their parking lot! Pheew, it was close! So of course I go in chat with the boys - my wife elected to stay in the truck to do some urgently needed texting? 1/2 hour late I return with only 3 small lures. Wife says "they must be out of stock". So that's my funny for Saturday. What did I purchase? I knew you would want to know! 2 slab grabbers, 1 with a white bead, the other a red bead, & a small silver Williams, cause my other 2 are badly tarnished. Oh the reason we headed in that direction was a garbage dump run - but she found her way to the truck!! LOL!

I get all my gear from the small guys. Ive been to bass pro 4 times. Left with nothing 3 times. The 4th time they replaced my worn out redhead socks lol

I go to BJ's bait and tackle for almost all my stuff. If he doesnt have it, he'll get it. Even boat parts, engine repairs, you name it.

On top of all that, its family run, and they treat me like a friend, not a customer. Its worth it for that alone.

S.

Most guys would love to support the smaller independent if they have them....problem is fishermen are wicked cheap for the most part. We have a good Canadian Tire here in Kingston ran by a good guy, and they are good corporate citizen ...always helping out the local fishing clubs etc. If I can get it local I will and pay the price but we all know someone who will drive to the states to save $10 and then ask CT to sponsor their kids hockey team!!!!!

Most guys would love to support the smaller independent if they have them....problem is fishermen are wicked cheap for the most part. We have a good Canadian Tire here in Kingston ran by a good guy, and they are good corporate citizen ...always helping out the local fishing clubs etc. If I can get it local I will and pay the price but we all know someone who will drive to the states to save $10 and then ask CT to sponsor their kids hockey team!!!!!

I will second Kingstons CT.... What an awesome store compared to other CT's I have been in. I like shopping for stabby things while viewing thier aquarium....

G

isn't that the truth!!!

I support my local Canadian Tire, I'm always treated good there. I do not go there for fishing gear though! I don't think to many serious anglers are shopping for gear at a Canadian Tire.

It depends on the CTC store,our store in Belleville is well stocked with fishing ,last year alone they had 72x6ft of rubber products alone.High end rods and reels

It depends on the CTC store,our store in Belleville is well stocked with fishing ,last year alone they had 72x6ft of rubber products alone.High end rods and reels

My cousin manages that department, I was astounded to wander in there and see their stock compared to most of the CT's in Toronto!

There are a number of smaller shops in my area of Scarborough and I drop in to see what they have in their clearance bins and to talk fishing/find out what's working. That kind of resource right on my doorstep is invaluable!

True, Belleville does have a great CT as well with a huge outdoor dept. I wander around in there for hours.... No fish tank though lol

GP having any luck on the ice this year? Seems everywhere is slow.... I have tried most of the usual haunts including Bain last weekend..... Thinking up heading up to Glen Ross this weekend to give it a go..

G

I always try to support the local guy. But if they don't have what I'm looking for Sail, BPS,CT and mail order no problem.

The CT in Kingston,Bellville,Coburg and Lindsay are all a cut above And the Wal Mart in North Bay.

Edited by Garnet

This was discussed a while back. Regardless we should always support our local guys, it's tough to make a living for any small Mom and Pop business. It is a more personal shopping experience. I always go to Bills Bait on Upper James in Hamilton, then Fishing World on Barton St. East second for sales, both an hours drive. I probably pass 3 CT and Wally Worlds to get there. The good folks at Bills will meet most sale prices if they have it in stock. If they don't have something they will order it for you. Try asking CT or Wally to do that? No one to ask anyway. I doubt the lady stocking shelves at those places has an opinion on fishing anyway. Most don't know the difference between a line counter and a line up at the counter. Support the little guy, please.

Mr G,

As does Bill's Bait, no questions asked. I lost a Reef Runner when the knot on the flouro/leadcore came apart that they tied for me when I bought the line there. I couldn't prove they tied it and I didn't even get the lure there and they retied the line and asked me to pick out any Reef Runner or any other comparable lure, no questions asked. Would Cabela's do that for you? I'm not sure. The one and only time I went to Bass Pro on my way to Newmarket I went online and found a good deal on a reel, when I asked for it they tell me that price is in USD, what a waste of time.

Mr G,

As does Bill's Bait, no questions asked. I lost a Reef Runner when the knot on the flouro/leadcore came apart that they tied for me when I bought the line there. I couldn't prove they tied it and I didn't even get the lure there and they retied the line and asked me to pick out any Reef Runner or any other comparable lure, no questions asked. Would Cabela's do that for you? I'm not sure. The one and only time I went to Bass Pro on my way to Newmarket I went online and found a good deal on a reel, when I asked for it they tell me that price is in USD, what a waste of time.

I am not sure if Cabela's would do that for me but here's a few times they stood up to the plate and hit it out of the park IMHO.

A 4.5 year old on-board charger with their name on it failed to work. Cabela's replaced it free of charge.

A 1.5 year old pair of THEIR waterproof low cut hiking shoes (I use them as my winter sneakers) a seem started to open up. Cabela's replaced them free of charge.

A 3 year old spinning rod broke. Cabela's replaced it free of charge.

A 5+ year old pair of mittens, expensive ones that are Gortex, plus have glove inserts and zippers so you can get a trigger finger out to make a important shot. Well the stitching was giving away right where the zipper was attached. Cabela's replaced them free of charge.

A LONG time ago my wife purchased me a expensive electronic trolling speed indicator for Christmas and it sat all winter until late spring to install it. I then tested it and found it was actually defective. Glad I didn't cut a hole in my dash and then find out it didn't work. I called Cabela's and explained it to them. No problem they said and refunded the full amount including the shipping cost.

The last time I visited their store I read a sign near the customer service desk that said their clothing with THEIR NAME on it has a lifetime warranty.

It don't get no better then this IMHO.