roof shingles replacement

icefisherman

Maybe a bit early but starting my home work ahead of time can't hurt too much.

Most of the neighbors have already replaced the shingles on their roofs. Few including me haven't done it yet. All houses on the street were built about the same time withing a year (11 years ago).

I've read some old posts here (Big Cliff the latest) but can use more specific information pretending to my particular house...house is over 3300 sq. feet including finished basement. Asume about 1100 sq. feet per floor. House is in North West GTA/North Halton.

As I said 11.5 years old. No leaks but wife says she has noticed some shingles curling on the garage roof. So it maybe getting close to the time of replacement. Question is with WHAT?

Simplest and cheapest I assume will be to put shingles again. But curious to see how much more would be to use metal/aluminum roof instead? Not sure how long we'll stay in the house...not planing any moves at this time but who knows what happens few years from now.

Roof is fairly steep, not sure of exact pitch. There must be roof experts who are members here and can hopefully shed some light on the issue. Even offer a quote?

Below is Google space shot of the roof if it helps.

roof_zpshicmdkfe.jpg

Would appreciate any advice and input you may have...I understand there are different varieties of metal roof, different thickness, but all more of less with life time warranty?

Trying to figure out if it is worth paying bit extra not to have it to repeat this exercise again in future.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Go Steel! In the long run it cost me about $500.00 more (about 8%) to go with steel than have my roof stripped and re shingled. I know that when the time comes that I do sell my house that I will get that money back no problem.

In the meantime, I have enjoyed lower cooling bills in the summer time (the house stays much cooler now in the summer) and I have the piece of mind knowing that I will never have to worry about my roof again!

In general terms a metal (standing seam or aluminum shingles) will cost 2 to 3 times that of standard shingles. I am no expert but this is based on 4 year old quotes. I went with 30 year architectural shingles, about half as much again as standard. Cedar shakes or shingles would be similar 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 times. Concrete tiles can look nice depending on the style of the house but I would make sure I got a structural engineer to take a look at the roof construction to see if it could bear the extra weight,

If the existing roof needs to be stripped count on another $1000+.

There are MANY "weekend cowboy" roofers out there, particularly trolling new (ish) subdivisions, get some references and recommendations from friends and neighbours.

Go Steel! In the long run it cost me about $500.00 more (about 8%) to go with steel than have my roof stripped and re shingled. I know that when the time comes that I do sell my house that I will get that money back no problem.

In the meantime, I have enjoyed lower cooling bills in the summer time (the house stays much cooler now in the summer) and I have the piece of mind knowing that I will never have to worry about my roof again!

curious does the reverse happen in the winter...does it cost more to keep your house warm?

IF you can afford it, put metal on it. Period.

Done deal, never have to deal with it again, and good for resale as well.

I can't believe your shingles are toast after only 11 years. They are probably 25 yr shingles too. Such a rip off.

If you re-shingle, you will have to strip what you have off, and take them to the landfill, and pay by weight. Shingles aren't light! And they don't degrade in a landfill. Leave them on there, strap right over top of them, and put on metal.

The question regarding keeping the house cooler in the winter, the answer is no. The reason it stays cooler in summer is because of the air space between the metal, and the old existing shingles. If the shingles don't get hot, the roof stays cooler, which in turn keeps the house somewhat cooler.

S.

The 10year old houses in my niebour hood are all needing new roofs/missing shingles. My house is 8-9 years and I'm starting to see break down. My wife thinks im nuts thinking about it lol. I assumed steel roofs were a by-law thing since nobody had one? I'm a big fan of do it once, do it well

What Sinker said! Cooler in Summer, no differance in winter!

When you start to consider cost look at : cost to strip, dispose of the old ones, the cost of ice and water shield (if done properly). Replacement cost (because they will not last as long as the warranty but who keeps a warranty for 10+ years and even then it doesn't cover removal and labour, just the new shingles).

Do it once, do it right, and you will come out way ahead!

I guess key point is what would the price for shingles vs. metal would be? If it is few thousands more for metal is one thing...if it is double or triple is quite another.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Like I said originally; for me, the cost was 8% more. No brainer as far as I am concerned!

The 10year old houses in my niebour hood are all needing new roofs/missing shingles. My house is 8-9 years and I'm starting to see break down. My wife thinks im nuts thinking about it lol. I assumed steel roofs were a by-law thing since nobody had one? I'm a big fan of do it once, do it well

I think it is more likely a price issue. The builder doesn't want to spend the extra money for steel. They cut costs by using cheap asphalt (good asphalt shingles last more than 10 years) shingles.

p.s. For those recommending steel. Do you recommend steel shingles or the large sheets of steel? What about the tile type roofs (they look like clay tiles but are probably plastic); I think they are supposed to last a lifetime too.

Edited by JohnBacon

I think it is more likely a price issue. The builder doesn't want to spend the extra money for steel. They cut costs by using cheap asphalt (good asphalt shingles last more than 10 years) shingles.

p.s. For those recommending steel. Do you recommend steel shingles or the large sheets of steel? What about the tile type roofs (they look like clay tiles but are probably plastic); I think they are supposed to last a lifetime too.

We looked at the tile roof type, about three times the price. We went with the sheets and while I understand that there are different grades we decided to go with a local installer that had an excellent reputation and the lighter grade of steel. It came with a 40 year paint warranty and the workmanship is awesome! For what is is worth, I would never go back!

If going sheet steel (cheaper) be sure they install bird stop.... My uncle spent 25k on a new steel roof 2 years ago.... Sheet steel.... No bird stop installed ( which I pointed out after the fact) hornets and black jackets love it. A few bats as well.

Make sure you have a barrier to prevent insects and animals to entering you roof system.

G

While steel roofs are definitely better for longevity, they are also noisy. Not that is a problem, just be prepared for it. Get yourself a qualified installer and you'll have years of worry free roofing. There are some pretty good shingles out there now as well. If they say 50 years and it goes at year 49, well then, you get a free roof.

Whatever you go with, just be absolutely sure the product is install 100% to manufacturers specifications.

Steel roofs are only noisy if your attic isnt insulated. Cant even hear the rain on ours. The real benifit is in winter....snow doesnt pile up and make ice dams like it does with shingles. I loved our steel roof at our last house, and its what sold it too!

Shingles are just bad in every aspect IMO.

S.

Steel roofs are only noisy if your attic isnt insulated. Cant even hear the rain on ours. The real benifit is in winter....snow doesnt pile up and make ice dams like it does with shingles. I loved our steel roof at our last house, and its what sold it too!

Shingles are just bad in every aspect IMO.

S.

The new roofs fail so quick because of shoddy carpenters, and garbage building supplies. 3/8 plywood is all thats on those roofs. You can kick thru it with one shot no problem. The trusses are up and down like yo-yos and most subdivision framers SUCK and dont give a darn about their work. I could go on and on....subbdivision homes are made as cheap as possible, and use the worste tradesman going. Total garbage. I would buy a 100yr old house over a brand new subdivision built house.

S.

Shingles are a very touchy subject with me . 5 year old house and the shingles on the whole house have to be replaced . They were actually flying off the roof the first year I

bought it . I'm not going to start throwing the company name out there but I can tell you that I am involved in a class action lawsuit against them and its a big one , company

knowingly sold faulty shingles :wallbash: and of course I have a roof full . Anyways I am watching this thread for some ideas because lawsuit or not the shingles need replacing in

2015/16

Shingles are a very touchy subject with me . 5 year old house and the shingles on the whole house have to be replaced . They were actually flying off the roof the first year I

bought it . I'm not going to start throwing the company name out there but I can tell you that I am involved in a class action lawsuit against them and its a big one , company

knowingly sold faulty shingles :wallbash: and of course I have a roof full . Anyways I am watching this thread for some ideas because lawsuit or not the shingles need replacing in

2015/16

Many are involved..... And rightfully so. I hope you get a decent settlement to replace your roof.

Metal roof all the way. I've built many a house and done many a roof. Shingles just don't hold up , and the warranties really aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Subdivision roofs are built to be as cost effective as possible for the builder. In other words they meet code. many builders will allow you to upgrade if they have not already put up the roof. Up sell just adds to the profit margin. I've only put up a few metal roofs some 20 years back. They were properly plug screwed, critter baffles in place, powder coat, full sheet. They still look brand new. The one on my buddy's barn still keeps everything bone dry.

Even if you pay 25-30% more than shingle pricing. Consider the other costs to reshingle that others have already mentioned. Then consider that you will spend that again in another 15 years or less if you stay put.

I would buy a 100yr old house over a brand new subdivision built house.

S.

Around here the old houses are the ones you want.

All the tradesman worked at the mill, and when one of them built a house all the tradesman helped.

My grandpa was a pipefitter, and 70 or so years later his house is still like brand new. No faults at all.

House we just moved into is almost 100 years old and its awesome!

Back then was a different time. People helped and added their expertise.

When I was in grande prairie, I looked at houses and 300,000 for a 1800 sq ft house built like s%×+.

For anyone wondering the WHY is my shingled roof only lasting half of the lifetime given, the answer is simple, ventilation.

The air in your attic should always be the same air temperature as outside, if you notice your roof melts snow while its still cold out and your roof won't hold the snow without melting it, increase the ventilation because it does the same/opposite in summer and helps curl those shingles up,

Tl;Dr proper insulation and venting will extend the lifetime of your shingles