Keep Your Lights On(NF)

Parnelly

Definitely a bad call in my opinion, And I will be seeing him in court.

My daytime running lights are always on. They come on when the vehicle is started. Even in my old civic, as soon as the e-brake was released the drl's would come on.

He claimed it was inclimate weather, and I had my windshield wipers on. Also that because my vehicle is gray, its harder to see.

Isn't there a law somewhere in the Highway Traffic act that requires you to have your headlights on while your windshield wipers are on.

Maybe that's the reason why he pulled you over......

I wouldnt even take this to court per say. Waste of everyones time and money.

Can you not just go to the crown and explain? This would be thrown out in a second IMO.

Not sure if you can do that anymore?

I did it once about 15 years ago with a ticket for littering which was just as dumb.

Im walking on the sidewalk about 20 ft behind some teenagers. They were clearly drinking in broad daylight and had backpacks full of beer.

Cops pull up and of course they all drop their beers and run.

Cop writes me a ticket???? I explained myself and clearly had done nothing wrong. He wasnt having it. I even asked for a breathalizer to prove I was not drinking, nor was I part of that group. Nope, he wouldnt do it.

I went to the crown, explained in a few minutes and he dropped the fine just like that.

I cant even remember what the fine was, maybe $120 ish. No way was I paying that and the crown agreed

It makes a person wonder is that police forces contract up for renewal soon? Might be a case of them pumping up the ticket dollars so they can say. WE EARN our raises!!! Not like the green machine in T.O. who are currently driving the city into bankruptcy by having reduced their ticket writing.... Or so say the politicians there who want to spend every nickel they can beg, borrow or steal from any source.

I got one of those once :) 1/2 after sunset :( took it to court with the official recorded time the sun had set that evening, I was within a block of home and had 4 minutes left compared to the time stated on the ticket. Dismissed and praised on how I fought it :)

damn nearly ran him over when he pulled a U turn when he stopped me. :(

Monday I went down to the offenses office, and requested a trial. Have to wait now for a piece of paper to show up, so I know what time to meet the prosecutor. We'll see where it goes from there. If they wanna follow through with it, and take it to court, ill gladly follow up with that as well. Only delays how long I have to pay it, if for some reason I'm found guilty.

About wasting the courts time/dollars, I will gladly waste their time and money. I already had to take time off work to go the office, and ill likely have to again, to meet the prosecutor. Who's wasting who's time and money here....They shouldnt be giving out tickets like that when almost every time im out (here in Peterborough) I see several ticketable offenses. So many extremely bad drivers here.

Monday I went down to the offenses office, and requested a trial. Have to wait now for a piece of paper to show up, so I know what time to meet the prosecutor. We'll see where it goes from there. If they wanna follow through with it, and take it to court, ill gladly follow up with that as well. Only delays how long I have to pay it, if for some reason I'm found guilty.

About wasting the courts time/dollars, I will gladly waste their time and money. I already had to take time off work to go the office, and ill likely have to again, to meet the prosecutor. Who's wasting who's time and money here....They shouldnt be giving out tickets like that when almost every time im out (here in Peterborough) I see several ticketable offenses. So many extremely bad drivers here.

I feel for you!

It is a stupid ticket and it is going to cost you money to fight it while the cop that wrote it gets paid to show up in court. There should be some recourse where if you are found not guilty or the charges get dropped you get to recover your costs including your time at a rate of what ever the cops wages are!

I am glad to hear you are fighting it though and will be watching for the results!

Good cops are good people, bad cops are just jerks with a badge. Fortunatly almost every cop I have ever met was good people!

Fortunatly almost every cop I have ever met was good people!

I was coming east across Gerard St in Toronto one day and turned north onto Broadview right at the Don Jail.

As I came around the corner there was a cop car at the curb and as I passed him he pulled out, came in behind me and flashed his red lights. I pulled over and he walked up to my car. I joked that I KNEW I wasn't speeding & I KNEW I hadn't run a red light and he laughed and said "no you didn't, but you made an illegal left turn back there"

I apologized and said "OK I guess you got me, I didn't realize there was no left turn there"

He smiled & simply said to pay more attention next time and have a good day Sir.

Your right Cliff, most are good guys just doing a job.

Haha, Good one. I wasnt speeding, and when he came and asked for my papers I had to ask why I was pulled over. To be completely honest, I was eating a hamburger. Apparently that wasnt a problem though.

Your mistake right there. Some police get annoyed when you start questioning their actions.

Devils advocate time...

Seeing as you were annoyed enough to ask why you were pulled over, would it not be possible that you showed a little attitude when asking said question? That's a surefire way to get the cop to look for any problem that can be ticketed and we all know there's 3 sides to every story...

I understand that proving a point is important to some people who are "never wrong", but why on earth are you even bothering fighting such a low value ticket with no points? Not only will you be wasting the courts time that could be used for more important thing's, by the time you factor in lost wages and gas you'll be lucky to break even if the ticket is completely tossed. Sometimes it's best just to suck it up and move on with life.

My dad think's in a similar way. He received a $150 ticket for hitting someone with a trailer while turning at an intersection. He just had to prove his point that it was the other drivers fault and the end result was the ticket was dropped to half and he missed a day and a half work. Just paying the ticket would have been less than half the total cost.

He isn't the one that is waisting the courts time if he did no wrong, the cop is by issuing a bogus ticket. Sometimes it costs you money to stand up for your rights and all too often people just "suck it up" and pay the fine! If more of us fought these sorts of things they wouldn't happen as often.

When I said wasting everyones time and money, i didnt mean that as a dig.

My point was go to the crown and likely have it dropped.

Remember this is costing him lost time at work as well, and if he did nothing wrong, well thats just stupid. And to go to court and waste his wage, just to likely have a judge call it bullcrap. Well thats just silly.

I just think approaching the crown saves money, and time.

But regardless I guess we pay all their wages regardless so...

Just my two cents

Your mistake right there. Some police get annoyed when you start questioning their actions.

Devils advocate time...

Seeing as you were annoyed enough to ask why you were pulled over, would it not be possible that you showed a little attitude when asking said question? That's a surefire way to get the cop to look for any problem that can be ticketed and we all know there's 3 sides to every story...

that's a little ridiculous. you have every right to ask why you've been pulled over without having to worry about some sort of retribution. asking a question doesn't automatically mean you're giving them attitude. no doubt the scenario you painted probably plays out that way often enough with the bad apples in the bunch. and in that case, fighting it on principle alone would be worth it, in my opinion.

Issue is 312.. your insurance company doesn't care if it's points or not. 3 "infractions" and you get dropped like a stone.. refused coverage and then moved to another company to keep them from full filling the governments regulation that a company can't raise you more than 20% on premiums after 3 infractions. Instead they just drop you... then pass you on to a "sister" division at triple the rate.. ask my wife how that works.. LOL.

As noted a lot earlier in this post... I was through Peterborough that morning.. entered about 7:45.. left about 10:45.. Lights ON! Although at the time of infraction...and the pictures of the OP.. he shouldn't have been ticketed.

It's not always headlights for oncoming... many times it's no tail lights and you could drive right into the back of someone. It certainly wasn't anywhere near that bad on Saturday!