Homemade rinks-here we go again!!

SirCranksalot

So people should just suck it up and let all the little whiners get their way? When does someone finally stand up and say enough is enough?

It's a rink, it gets the kids out of the house, away from the boob tube and video games for a while, it's not a car turned upside down on the front lawn, it won't even be there 2 months from now. People will complain, you're right, but those same people should then be told "if you don't like it, don't look at it".

I don't think I said that, however if you want to go down this path

should you break the law then try to change it or start by trying to change it...the law is the law if we choose to break some, can we really be pissed that we got caught and there is a price to pay

as I said I do not agree it should be removed, but I do see people complaining all the time and am no longer surprised then the call bylaws

sitting here whining yourself that it isn't right . isn't going to help either.....the laws need to be changed

and they really don't need to br told don't look at it

it's going to be gone , so they don't have to

Yes wormdunker, but this issue goes far deeper than having a rink on the front yard, it's about people having the freedom to do what they want on the land they own, without having Mr. & Mrs. Perfect down the street complaining about the "unsightly" blue tarp.

I don't think I said that, however if you want to go down this path

should you break the law then try to change it or start by trying to change it...the law is the law if we choose to break some, can we really be pissed that we got caught and there is a price to pay

as I said I do not agree it should be removed, but I do see people complaining all the time and am no longer surprised then the call bylaws

sitting here whining yourself that it isn't right . isn't going to help either.....the laws need to be changed

and they really don't need to br told don't look at it

it's going to be gone , so they don't have to

They do need to be told not to look while it's there though and that is the issue. So what if it's not their cup of tea, will it really kill them for 2 months? The bottom line is, the kids are the ones that lose out.

And speaking of the law, what kind of law can charge someone up to $25,000 for a 16x20 rink on a lawn, yet people abuse our natural resources and get slapped on the wrist? The world is a very backwards place.

Edited by big guy

from my chair

and just to answer the question

it is against the bylaw, so right or wrong they have the right to complain, would it hurt them, who am I to say

everyones (my perfect world) is different.. some people look to see what restrictions are in a neighborhood and want no old cars old trailers big fences and maybe no rinks with high boards which is just like a fence.. and if someone breaks the rule, I am sorry but why wouldn't they call about it...

if you spent 600,000.00 on a house expecting a certain view I might complain too

not,..... I would be on the ice skating...but I really do understand someone who thinks front yards need to be perfect, complaining....

I can understand what some of you are saying that's it naive to put up a rink in the front and not expect some busybody to complain. Heck, letting a loud one rip is probably illegal there too! I just find it lamentable that we are becoming so tight-assed that the fun is squeezed out of everything. I'm not saying that the complainer in this case is a tight ass, but I bet if you shoved a lump of coal up their ass, in a few weeks you'd have a 24 carat diamond!! :(

I can understand what some of you are saying that's it naive to put up a rink in the front and not expect some busybody to complain. Heck, letting a loud one rip is probably illegal there too! I just find it lamentable that we are becoming so tight-assed that the fun is squeezed out of everything. I'm not saying that the complainer in this case is a tight ass, but I bet if you shoved a lump of coal up their ass, in a few weeks you'd have a 24 carat diamond!! :(

Perhaps thats how they could afford the house???

That post is hilarious???

Please read the article. I'm sure you wouldn't have made your post if you knew the reason for it being in the front yard.

It doesn't matter why it's in the front yard. If it wasn't there, I'm guessing it wouldn't be an issue.

Today's Toronto Star has not 1, but 2, opinion pieces in favor of the Ajax rink. Maybe with the publicity they are giving it Ajax can be shamed into leaving well enough alone. I particularly liked he term "craphearts" that was used in the first piece to describe the complainants. :clapping:

From the first piece:

"Because if there is a rule that says an ice rink filled with children violates some kind of appearance standard, then that rule is self-evidently wrong. And the politicians responsible for that rule — and the bureaucrats who report to them — ought to change it, immediately. Voters ought to make it clear that if the politicians will not stop this removal order, then the voters will order the removal of the politicians at the earliest opportunity.

There comes a time to stand up on your skates and drop your gloves, a time to say “no” to the craphearts and killjoys and their flunkies."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/01/23/take-our-hockey-rinks-from-our-cold-dead-lawns-keenan.html

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2015/01/26/why-is-ajax-taking-a-family-hockey-rink-into-the-boards-editorial.html

Looks like Ajax council has decided to let the skating rink remain as it is for the remainder of the winter and then take another look at the bi-laws against front yard structures.

It,s amazing what those have to fight for today,what was a given, years ago.

Funny, in Hamilton there's a big one taking up someone's whole front yard on stonechurch rd (very busy road for those not familiar) and as far as I know no ones said a word, I hope it stays that way too we already live in a nanny state with basically everywhere banning tobogganing what a joke lol

Edited by Lucas F

its funny how ajax, whitby, oshawa and clarington all have different bylaws regarding outdoor rinks, clarington said they would not enforce any bylaws against outdoor rinks period. oshawa said they would need to make sure the boards weren't obstructing neighbours vision when pulling out of the drive way. whitby said they would need to look at the height of the boards, the grade of the land, the drainage, etc etc..

I was just going to post that link as well. Maybe next year at our house. The neighbourhood rink here is very good and quite close but Ryan is spending so much time on it that having him right outside our door might be better next year.

Changed my mind on Saturday afternoon. Four perfect weather days meant that the front yard went from this:

IMAG1766_zps9ipq9ouh.jpg

IMAG1768_zpsmwy3qxci.jpg

IMAG1772_zpspdiqbi1k.jpg

IMAG1774-1_zpsbyvry8kr.jpg

To this:

IMAG1780_zpsnybhmrmm.jpg