Cracking Finger Tips.. Advice

NAW

I get the same crack in the tip of my thumb. Every ice fishing season. Exact same spot.

It started at the beginning of the season, and stays till the end.

A little back ground, I have about the weakest, nancy office hands you could imagine. But I rarely wear gloves on the ice, so my skin takes a beating.

Does anyone else get cracked up fingertips?

Do you do anything about it?

Does anyone have any suggestions to treat this so it will heal up and GO AWAY?

It makes it hard to text with my phone with the big split up the middle of my thumb.....

I know it sounds silly asking you guys this... But thought it was worth the shot.

Edited by N.A.W

thanks guys!! I'm going to grab a can of the O'keefe's. Looks like you can get it at home depot, and Canadian Tire.

As for Wayne's suggestion... I think that's possibly the worst piece of advice I have ever been given in my entire life.... Thank you. Now. I will come kill turkeys on your property! Does that count?

My friend is a mechanic and takes bentonite (pills?). He says it helps a lot... not sure if it's prescription or not.

I'll give you some of my wife's homemade lip balm when we meet up for fishing, it works good on hands too.

Good man/women

Makes his own solution

I salute you RC (and your better half)

Good man/women

Makes his own solution

I salute you RC (and your better half)

Yep, she's good at doing that. Made our own bugspray last year too (although it didn't work super well)

Hey Chad, That sounds great! Do you make it the same way they make the soap on the movie Fight Club? Can't wait to taste it!!

ha, fight club! Let's hope she's not plotting anything haha.

Looking forward to the nip trip! I'll hook you up.

And when all else fails, boob cream, crack cream, crack sealer and you still have the corner thumb cracks like grand canyon crevises, go and get some "Amantle" cream, it's not cheap and you have to order it from the US. It's about $15 for a 1 oz tube, good for the winter.

Matter of fact, I even tried the 100% udder cream right from a farmer, did nothing but make greasy thumbs.

Edited by Fisherman

If you already have cracks and it's causing pain, aside from Okeefe's, use New Skin to seal it up a bit so it does open up any further. While it doesn't heal splits/cracks per se, it does keep it from getting worse. Or you could try crazy glue...

Bag Balm is not bad but super greasy and didn't make that much diff for finger tip cracks.

Nick, my mitts stay in the hut and I clean my holes with my bare hands. Plus I work in the cold water almost every day of the winter. I use the O'Keefe's Working Hands before going to bed. It works best if it doesn't get rubbed or washed off. Some guys at work swear by Bag Balm.

Yep, she's good at doing that. Made our own bugspray last year too (although it didn't work super well).

Cool! We make homemade balms soaps etc. Made a great bug repellant last year. Worked awesome but only for maybe 3 hours. When i finish unpacking boxes I'll pm you the recipe

For cracked skin I'd honestly just dip in olive oil or coconut butter

Edited by manitoubass2

I have about the worst hands imaginable in the colder months. I got frostbite at work years ago on both hands, and they've never been the same since. It starts at the area that was frost damaged, and works out from there as soon as it gets cold. My wife started buying me Aveeno exzema care. Of all the creams I've tried, including the working hands stuff etc. this is the only one that has worked relatively well. Keeps my hands in reasonable condition, and soft enough that they don't crack as badly around the fingers and thumbs. Not cheap, but its worth a try, good luck!

I have about the worst hands imaginable in the colder months. I got frostbite at work years ago on both hands, and they've never been the same since. It starts at the area that was frost damaged, and works out from there as soon as it gets cold. My wife started buying me Aveeno exzema care. Of all the creams I've tried, including the working hands stuff etc. this is the only one that has worked relatively well. Keeps my hands in reasonable condition, and soft enough that they don't crack as badly around the fingers and thumbs. Not cheap, but its worth a try, good luck!

Haha I use that when I shave off my beard??

Very good easy to find product

My friend is a mechanic and takes bentonite (pills?). He says it helps a lot... not sure if it's prescription or not.

I'll give you some of my wife's homemade lip balm when we meet up for fishing, it works good on hands too.

Bentonite is clay. My mother in law swears it works by rubbing on the affected area, but I have my doubts. She uses it for every possible skin condition as well as stuff like arthritis and other internal ailments.