cooking thread...

Got this for vday from the GF... $32 steak hahaIMG_20170216_165247.jpgIMG_20170216_185003.jpg

IMG_20170216_184315.jpg

IMG_20170216_185526.jpg

That sure is a fine looking steak. But wow $32 sure is steep. I bet you savored every bite.

Last week IG had whole beef tenderloins on for $10 lb. If funds weren't so tight I would have bought a couple. So I was in there today and to my surprise they extended the sale and had them all cut in half. One of the meat cutters said they were actually a loss leader. I couldn't resist anymore at that price.

IMG_0758_zpswedbzkz2.jpg

Should get four good steaks out of that chunk. Two for Sunday with a bag of shrimp and two for the freezer.

Cheers

The price of good meat is just ridiculous today. I get exited over ground beef on sale. My Mom hasn't had to shop for a few years and thought I am delirious when I tell her about the prices of groceries. I brought her a Fortino's flyer the other day, she was shocked.

Where did your wife get that steak Lucas? I know you moved out our way. If I ever collect on my Super Bowl wagers I might buy a few, I'll pass on the warm beer though. Hanson's on Hwy. #3 west of Cayuga has the best meat this way. The place on Hwy #6 south of you has good meat but Hansen's is better value. We have many good beef farms out our way. I have never been one to buy bulk and freeze but have decided to go in on a Black Angus from a farmer I know this way. A 35 buck steak isn't in the budget these days. That's what we paid for the T bones we brought on our recent trip. They were massive 16 to 18 oz. and melted in your mouth.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

She got it from VG meats on upper centennial, $16/lb which was reasonable for that cut actually if you can believe it, she called around places in Burlington where she works and it was $22/lb and up.

Are you talking about the gourmet meat place or wally parr?

I get all my meat there, worth the drive and the few extra $ IMO.

Great looking steak Lucas. :)

I always have enjoyed their meat, whether sausages or burgers they make a great product... And it tasted as good as it looks, or better!

Loving the weather today.... Starting on an entertainment unit for the living room electronics and with the weather being as nice as it has been I was able to get my Ng BBQ piped in a couple weeks back... I'm loving the NG so far ??

IMG_20170218_132136.jpg

IMG_20170218_132242.jpg

I as well have 1 of the BBQ's hooked up the NG on the lake side of the shack. NG will blow out if the wind is up, beware. Ng pressure must be lower than Propane. I can't remember exactly how much. That's why I have a second Q with propane on the laneway side if it's too windy to Q on the deck, which is 80% of the time. Many times I will see the Wind Turbines facing north and wind is also blowing from the south off the lake.

Temp on the car in Cayuga today said 11C, at the lake 2C. The wind is blowing cold off the lake and the ice isn't melting off shore.

then we grab a jalapeno, burn the skin, put it in a paper bag for 10 minutes, peel it and seed it, leaving a smooth heat that pleasures but doesn't burn...

IMG_20170218_175037_zps88nrx7bt.jpg

IMG_20170218_175156_zpsuh2qharp.jpg

add some steak....

IMG_20170218_175838_zpsjzaxjyxe.jpg

et, voila...

IMG_20170218_180323_zps5a7nv8gb.jpg

another year behind us, another one to come. Lets enjoy the ride with all we got!

Anyone ever cooked bear...? I've been offered a roast lol don't know what cut that makes it but I have a smoker so I'm thinking that's the route to best take to make it less gamey?

Let it soak in beer for 3 days. Pull it out and smoke it. Not sure what smoke you would want to use, as I have only fried steaks in fat back. That was the old days.LOL

Look forward to your end result Lucas.

Anyone ever cooked bear...? I've been offered a roast lol don't know what cut that makes it but I have a smoker so I'm thinking that's the route to best take to make it less gamey?

Bear is delicious, as long as the animal was properly cared for by the hunter after the kill - far more important than what the butcher did. (and that includes the hunter that butchers their own bear).

I would not smoke a bear roast, unless I marinated it overnight first (apple juice, garlic, maple syrup)

Remove any fat, if present, season like a beef or pork roast, and into the oven at 325, covered, with a bit of broth or vino in the roasting pan. take it out at maybe 130F and serve it rare, like 140. Forget about the old wives tales about having to cook it to well done shoe leather to kill trichynosis. When was the last time anybody in this country heard of anybody getting sick from eating black bear meat?

If it is a nice looking piece of meat, then I would slice it up and fondue it. The best fondue I ever had was bear loin.

The meat should not have a "gamey" taste unless the bear was not well cared for in the field after the kill.

Enjoy!

Doug

and vis-a-vis bear, I should also note that if you were FRYING a bear steak or similar, then by all means cut off the fat, render it down in your frying pan at medium temperature, discard the solid fat that is left and fry the bear steak in the rendered fat.

I just would not EAT the fat itself, it is not in my opinion enjoyable at all. Hence my suggestion that a roast have the fat removed.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

I've been crazy busy bit I/we still need to eat.

I've made more homemade soups and varieties of soups this year than ever before. Love soups.
Yesterday was a big pot of Turkey Stew and a big pot of Borscht.

Both are delicious!

17310947_1717535235173870_69381790751299