cooking thread...

Well I was rooting around in one of the freezers, looking for something else, and came across a package of pork tenderloins that I had forgotten.  Fortunately they were packed in that cryovac plastic armour and not at all freezer-burned.  After they were thawed, I skinned the bits of fat and silver skin off them, then cut the thinner bottom pieces off, then halved the top pieces width-wise, so I had six fairly similar sized pieces of meat.  I drizzled them with maple syrup, dusted them with Fish Crisp Smokey Maple seasoning and some garlic and let them marinate for a bit, then into the smoker for one pan of hickory chips, then finished them off on the BBQ on indirect heat.

Posted Image

VERY tasty, even if I do say so myself.........

Tonight, will be poblanos stuffed with brown rice, chicken, onions, garlic, shredded carrots and cheeses. and seasoned with a couple of jars of salsa.

All I need to do is get someone to put them in the oven, and hopefully finish harvesting/picking before the sun goes down.

My first ever attempt at this Herman Munster of meat beast.

Thanks Brian. ;)

3lbs of seasoned ground beef topped with sauteed silver and red onions and mushrooms. The rendered juices were mixed into the ground beef. Also added some old cheddar and a few hot pepper rings. It was then rolled up and then placed upon a weave of maple smoked bacon and rolled up again. Must weigh an easy 5lbs. It's now in the smoker with a pan of maple wood...... I hope this works out well.

11951303_1520436628217066_16618920718481

11988184_1520436624883733_26266044752544

11993280_1520436744883721_28107964064490

11145892_1520436801550382_33782771049205

Stay tuned........

A question and a comment:

1. Are all you baconators using fairly THIN sliced side bacon? I was just looking again at this (and yes, thanks Brian!) and thinking it would be a lot trickier with thick slices of bacon. Is this a correct assumption?

2. Last night after a late return from the hunt camp (long story.........) it was time for a venison stir-fry with broccoli, red onions, Vidalia onions, red peppers and celery. Served on basmati rice, mighty toothsome. No pictures of that one, wifey was watching..........and she considers it highly bizarre behaviour to take pictures of meals to put on the Internet on a fishing website............... :whistling:

Oh yeah, BTW, tomorrow is INTERNATIONAL BACON DAY. (I am not making this up...........)

Doug

OK I promised to write out how to pressure can fish and smoked fish. I can't do cut and paste here, but go back to page 56, reply #1118 I think it is, and there are my step-by-step instructions for pressure canning raw meat.

Reading through it, the steps are EXACTLY the same for fish and smoked fish, same time, same pressure, same everything. The only real difference is the spices, and in general I use seasoning salt, dill seed and just a bit of garlic powder on the chunks, then ON TOP of each jar's contents, a quarter teaspoon of seasoning salt. As I recall, you do need to put salt in with the fish so it cans and keeps properly. But I have been doing this for decades, so maybe that is just a notion in my noggin........... Note that the salt often gets a bit onto the jar rim, so it is especially important to wipe them clean before you put on the (hot) snap lids. Salt on the rim will likely cause the seal to fail.

Once again, it is raw fish, or 'barely" smoked fish, that you'll want to can. If you start with cooked or dried smoked fish, that is a hot liquid canning you'd need and is not the same.

When I say "barely smoked" I mean fish that has taken the smoke flavour but is not yet cooked through. One pan of smoke in my Big Chief electric smoker is good.

I do often put diced Vidalia onions, about a tablespoon per jar, in with my fish.

The smoked fish generally turns out spectacular, and makes a fabulous topping for crackers. Just add a couple tablespoons of mayo to the jar contents, liquid and all, mash it up with a fork, and serve.

Doug

I just recived a nice little gift that will have me trying some new and different things. A quick go through, the Einrich,s pickled fish caught my attention real quick. The Lumber jack walleye. If I only could get some in the slot, but have a munger here I can get some from so no worries. Far east stir fry is going to the top of the list to try. :clapping:

Tanks me bye. :Gonefishing: