cooking thread...

I was looking for a cooking forum to get some advice and then I remembered this thread. So here I am looking for ideas for rubs and baste recipes. I've been asked to cook a whole rear 1/4 of beef or it'll be a number of large roasts adding up to approx 200lbs of meat.

I have my own wood fired spit and I've cooked a number of whole pork; largest being 180lbs dressed weight, but I've never done beef on my spit before.

attachicon.gifI pics 038.jpg

attachicon.gifI pics 039.jpg

I was told by the organizers that "Not everyone likes the standard red sticky BBQ sauce"; so I'm looking for a mop that'll add flavor but no sweet or heat (spice); I guess some form of au jus?

It would also be great if someone had any hints on roasting that large amount of beef all at once

It's for a wedding reception and I don't need a pissed off bride after me.LOL

Dan

Couple of things come to mind. First, make deep 4-6" stabs into the meat and insert garlic segments. Infuses flavour all through the the hip of beef.

Simple brine mop of cider vinegar, worcester and soy liberally seasoned with garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika.

Lastly, timing is everything. The longer the cooking time at lower temps is ideal. Depends on the time available.

Tks for the info Doug. Just what I was looking for. My main concern is drying the meat out, so chances are after maybe four hours I'll finish it in the oven at 200° or so. Maybe spread the smokin' to 3 or 4 smaller pans as well.

Dave I've bought a fair amount of those loins over the last few years and never seen them so bad, but I hear you about the sirloin end. Still a real lousy job.

Brian I'll be sure to post pics of the finished product. If it looks near as good as on that recipe link I'll be happy.

Cheers

Here's that link again. http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-make-canadian-bacon-at-home/

Edited by smitty55

Couple of things come to mind. First, make deep 4-6" stabs into the meat and insert garlic segments. Infuses flavour all through the the hip of beef.

Simple brine mop of cider vinegar, worcester and soy liberally seasoned with garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika.

Lastly, timing is everything. The longer the cooking time at lower temps is ideal. Depends on the time available.

The garlic sounds like a great idea; should I use a whole clove lightly crushed per stab hole or just a 1/4 - 1/2 pieces of a clove?

I also agree on the low temps and longer cook time; the last pork I did; I kept the closed spit temp around the 200 - 225 mark; until I have a good layer of crackling formed. The last couple of hours, I could raise the temp to 350 and force the heat to the bone. It usually takes anywhere around 16 to 17 hours to get the internal temp to 150 - 155 and juices to run clear. I then let the pig rest on the carving table for an hour or more; literally a pig in a blanket. The internal temp will easily raise another 10-15 degrees; once this temp increase stops, it's time to start carving.

I'm still concerned about how I'm going to balance out the doneness (word?) of the beef. My wife won't eat beef unless it looks like shoe leather; myself I like mine rare and then there's everyone else in between?

A friend suggested cooking it all rare to medium; have a couple of BBQ ready to finish off the cut to where an individual wants it?

Anyone think that would work and not ruin the smokey spit flavor of the meat?

Dan.

It wont take much to cook it a bit more if you do go with the bbqs and no, I don't think it will hamper the flavor as I said, it wont take much to cook a bit more.

The whole clove of the garlic is what I do even on small roasts like the one I did on the weekend. Just be sure to remove it from a slice before serving. I don't mind it left in, but can make for a powerful taste for some unexpecting quest.

Thanks for the Ztaziki recipe. We had it with BBQ'd Chevap, or Chevapcici, Baltic area mini skinless sausages made of lamb, pork and beef or a combo of all 3. If you haven't tried them please do. Eaten traditionally with raw spring onions.

You mean that skinny coiled sausage? I forget the name of it, but always buy when I can. It goes on the bbq for snacking on while the main dish is cooking. That or spatini rubbed with sea salt once cooked. :clapping:

Eggs are $2.50 a dozen from a local farmer here. Pork is about the same depending on cut. I was in Fortino's yesterday and grabbed 7 packages of 4 a pack Fennel sausages for an average of $1.25 each package. They were marked wrong. I asked the kid putting them out " Is this price right?" Nope, but not before I grabbed them all. Usually 7 bucks for 4. So I bought a bottle of Dr. Smirnoff's on the way home. Freebee. The skinny coils I know of are called Barresi. Usually Lamb but can be Pork.

The skinny coils I know of are called Barresi.

Thats the name. Thanks. I love that stuff. The one I buy is lamb from Coppas ( formaly highland farms). My last visit though ,I find their prices creeping up a bit much for me. Great ontario grown veggies. I need to get me down to the Vaughan area to stock up again.I love the area as there are many great stores to explore. Barrie has filtered try again please.

The garlic sounds like a great idea; should I use a whole clove lightly crushed per stab hole or just a 1/4 - 1/2 pieces of a clove?

I also agree on the low temps and longer cook time; the last pork I did; I kept the closed spit temp around the 200 - 225 mark; until I have a good layer of crackling formed. The last couple of hours, I could raise the temp to 350 and force the heat to the bone. It usually takes anywhere around 16 to 17 hours to get the internal temp to 150 - 155 and juices to run clear. I then let the pig rest on the carving table for an hour or more; literally a pig in a blanket. The internal temp will easily raise another 10-15 degrees; once this temp increase stops, it's time to start carving.

Put the whole clove in the slit.

On the subject of doneness, finishing your cuts on a grill is an easy cheat. That way you keep it simple. The other alternative is to cook 3 hips with different timings for doneness.

I'm still concerned about how I'm going to balance out the doneness (word?) of the beef. My wife won't eat beef unless it looks like shoe leather; myself I like mine rare and then there's everyone else in between?

A friend suggested cooking it all rare to medium; have a couple of BBQ ready to finish off the cut to where an individual wants it?

Anyone think that would work and not ruin the smokey spit flavor of the meat?

Dan.

Sorry for not adding a lot of input lately. Harvest is big this year in volume and quality. That also means a lot of canning. SO far we've put down dills, bread & butters, and sweet & sour pickles, peaches, pears, and a few cases of salsa. For a first, we're even trying our hands at making baby food for the little ones. Stuffed another batch of poblanos for the freezer. That is one simple recipe well worth keeping.

yes and took on 2 more kids who had nowhere to live from Kirkland lake who were up here for summer jobs could not let them sleep in a camper uninsulated for 2 more weeks before they went home and some people on this board think they are stressed over just postings really . wecould lose our house hello