What kind of electronics do you use on the ice.

Hellfish

Hey Gang

I am curious as to what everyone uses on the ice for electronics. I am having a heck of a time finding either a flasher or a Fishable ready to go Ice fish finder, everyone seems to be sold out of just about everything. Seeing as I am in Niagara I am limited of local options but I am open for suggestions.

I really like the features of the Lowrance Elite 4X, I can pick up the Elite 4x for $229 but then it is a $100 for the transducer and another 100 for the carrying bag which puts me up the Marcum VX. Very much a dilemma!!!!

Helppppp! :)

How are the Eagles?

This is really my first electronic and have no preference or experience with anything. I hear really good things about Marcum, Vex and Lowrance which all are the most expensive ones LOL. I really like the features of the Elite 4 as it can be used as a electronic flasher or a graph. I actually used a Vex once and it was great and that would be in the same price range of 350 as well.

A 20 year old Eagle Ultra portable. $100.00 for a bag to carry it? Come on man. For 50 bucks I'll carry it for you.

LOL The bag was just a added bonus. But 229 for the elite 4 and 100 for transducer and 40 for the battery which puts me above the Marcum VX and the FL 28 which are both ready to fish. Anyone see anything the Elite 4x does over the Marcum? I do not have a boat so that will not be my determining factor.

Seeing as you're in Niagara:

http://niagarafishingexpo.com/ice-fishing-series/

Jan 23-25, Niagara Falls NY

Check the show website & you will see there are a number of retail vendors there as well.

Another member here and myself are attending the LOTSA Salmon School & Marketplace (new & used salmon gear & tackle) on Sat & Sun respectively. Even with the low CA $$, tackle, gear & electronics will still likely be cheaper??

You dont need anything fancy. Get the lowrance, and rig the transducer on a stick to put down the hole, and mount the unit on a small cooler or tool box to hold the battery. Works as good as anything.

I use an old lowrance X-96, or a hummingbird 570 portable. They both mark the same fish as the most expensive flasher, and do double duty on back lakes or rental boats. I have a permanant mounted lowrance with GPS in the boat.

S.

I use my old HB 565 portable on any boat I might be in, and on the ice. I've learned how to tie the transducer to the cable at the right angle for the ice.

Just curious, where are you headed in Haliburton?

Edited by chris.brock

Have you considered an online purchase? Our choices for equipment out here is limited and I've bought through both Cabela's Canada and Wholesale Sports online with no problems and quick service.

http://www.cabelas.ca/category/ice-fishing-electronics/2014

http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-accessories/c0-c20-c204-c204010-p1.html

Just a suggestion.

I use my old HB 565 portable on any boat I might be in, and on the ice. I've learned how to tie the transducer to the cable at the right angle for the ice.

Just curious, where are you headed in Haliburton?

My wife and I are heading to Loreale (sp) cabins in Haliburton highlands I guess. We are fishing halls lake. Any suggestions for the lake Chris as I know you are from the area?

I'm not going to be much help. All I've got-

It's a super deep lake. I would still look for 60 to 70 FOW though. They stock it (the MNR has given up on the naturals?) but it's 1 line and slot size (the MNR hasn't given up on the naturals?). There is barely any huts out there and nobody walking out, compared to the neighboring lakes.

My best advice would be to chat with Dennis at Krista's Baits and Bites on Hawk Lake Road on the north end. He looks intimidating but he's a super nice and helpful guy who knows the lake well.

Post a report when you get back.

I'm not going to be much help. All I've got-

It's a super deep lake. I would still look for 60 to 70 FOW though. They stock it (the MNR has given up on the naturals?) but it's 1 line and slot size (the MNR hasn't given up on the naturals?). There is barely any huts out there and nobody walking out, compared to the neighboring lakes.

My best advice would be to chat with Dennis at Krista's Baits and Bites on Hawk Lake Road on the north end. He looks intimidating but he's a super nice and helpful guy who knows the lake well.

Post a report when you get back.

We booked a hut with Kristas on Halls lake I hope we get something for our efforts lol

spend the dough and get a proper unit. I have the vexilar flx 28 and love it. used to use the hummingbird ice 55 and it was good too. I prefer the vexilar though

the new Marcum units are very nice.

I would check with radioworld I am sure he will ship to you. I was in there last week lots in stock

I use Marcum LX-6

also have my hds5 with a portable pack and ice transducer

I have the X67C ice

and a setup with my X15 with a custom made transducer

going to put the hds5 on my atv as a gps

garmin hand held on my skidoo

I'm ready