Whats with the price of pork spare ribs

mr blizzard

When I lived in hamilton we bought directly from the farmer. It was 2.00 per pound paid directly to the farmer. This was hanging weight. So 500lb was 1k..

Kill fee was if I remember correcfly was 60 bux

Butchering as like 20-30 cent per pound.

I saved a TON of money by purchasing directly from the farmer and the product was far superior, cut to what I wanted and I supported the local economy not some office in Toronto or the states.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/meatinsp/licenced_operators_list.htm

Good place to start.

Your not really gonna find May farmers on the web advertising freezer beef at reasonable prices it's all la to da selling grass fed high " high end ". Beef to yuppies in toronto. You gotta ask around , ask family members and coworkers.

When I don't have any in the freezer we shop here. Again buy in bulk when it's on sale. Always a nice steak on sale, that top sirloin at 6.99 a lb. Ain't to shabby. Tbones are often on at 6 bucks as well as sew York strips. Best part they cut it to your liking.

http://www.dipietros.ca/#!dipietros-weekly-flyer/c1e6k

no thanks, consider this, we can't buy our Ontario Shortloins, where the T-bone and new york strips come from, for $6, let alone sell them at that price.

not to turn this into an advertisement, but if you're looking for a quality butcher shop in the Durham Region

We sell AAA or better, no growth hormones added, no antibiotics, free range beef, pork, lamb, chicken, and turkey. beef is aged a minimum of 21 days, chicken is air chilled instead of water chilled, and not pumped! we make our own sausages. everything can be custom cut and wrapped located in the middle of Oshawa. Been in Business since 1956

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buckingham-Meat-Market/256089420768

Edited by FloatnFly

a good butcher shop is worth its weight in gold.

I used to pay about 10% more then Safeway, but I got cuts exactly how I wanted and the difference meat is almost unreal.

go to a good butcher for chicken breast and cook it next to what safeway sells.

UNREAL DIFFERENCE in quality of cut/food

a good butcher shop is worth its weight in gold.

I used to pay about 10% more then Safeway, but I got cuts exactly how I wanted and the difference meat is almost unreal.

go to a good butcher for chicken breast and cook it next to what safeway sells.

UNREAL DIFFERENCE in quality of cut/food

100% agree, the Wal-marts of the world are making it tougher and tougher for small shops like us to hang around since we can't touch their pricing, we just have to make up for it with superior product and customer service.

Support your local farmer. I have and still do. Now that I have moved and found a new farmer to buy from.

You will have a superior product, you know your meat comes from one animal, not hundreds or thousands... And your helping your local farmer who makes much less by selling beef at auctions or to conglomerates.... Win win... And from my experience, pay cash never any tax.

Say what you will befriend a farmer your family will be better for it.

G

no thanks, consider this, we can't buy our Ontario Shortloins, where the T-bone and new york strips come from, for $6, let alone sell them at that price.

not to turn this into an advertisement, but if you're looking for a quality butcher shop in the Durham Region

We sell AAA or better, no growth hormones added, no antibiotics, free range beef, pork, lamb, chicken, and turkey. beef is aged a minimum of 21 days, chicken is air chilled instead of water chilled, and not pumped! we make our own sausages. everything can be custom cut and wrapped located in the middle of Oshawa. Been in Business since 1956

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buckingham-Meat-Market/256089420768

Pretty sure they get their beef from highland packers in Stoney creek. And it way better beef than anything I have ever seen in a grocery store. Like I said. My family raises our own, it hangs for 3 weeks, and it's delicious. but when I need some extras dipietros is where it's at.

Pretty sure they get their beef from highland packers in Stoney creek. And it way better beef than anything I have ever seen in a grocery store. Like I said. My family raises our own, it hangs for 3 weeks, and it's delicious. but when I need some extras dipietros is where it's at.

says on their ad, canada aa OR usda

not knocking them, just making an observation

Edited by FloatnFly

100% agree, the Wal-marts of the world are making it tougher and tougher for small shops like us to hang around since we can't touch their pricing, we just have to make up for it with superior product and customer service.

Out in the KW area, a number of quality meat and poultry shops had to be a little innovative. Not only do they have their home shops. Some have taken to expanding their businesses through St Jakobs and Kitchener markets. I also prefer the local free range eggs I pick up at market.

Mind you some of the best meat around comes from the local Mennonites, and that is strictly word of mouth.

I spend a lot of time at the market, both selling our produce, and doing most of my shopping. I really believe in knowing where and who your food comes from. Of course, we are pesticide free growers, as are the friends we barter with.

again, its buyer beware at these places, USDA or South American beef, and mechanically tenderized.

It's buyer beware at butcher shops as well. Many of them are very overpriced for what you're getting and in no way does buying from a local butcher guarantee quality like you're implying.

Seeing as you made the comment about chicken farmers raising prices "just because", which is 100% false, it makes me wonder how many butchers put higher prices on their meat "just because" as a way to increase profits. Many people think they're getting a better cut of meat simply because it carries a higher price and it would be easy to take advantage of this...

It's buyer beware at butcher shops as well. Many of them are very overpriced for what you're getting and in no way does buying from a local butcher guarantee quality like you're implying.

Seeing as you made the comment about chicken farmers raising prices "just because", which is 100% false, it makes me wonder how many butchers put higher prices on their meat "just because" as a way to increase profits. Many people think they're getting a better cut of meat simply because it carries a higher price and it would be easy to take advantage of this...

I have to agree.......Sam's Club meats are cut up right there in the store and you can watch and it's better then any meat market meat and much better then any super market meat I have ever had.

i will challenge you, go to sobeys, metro, superstore, get their prices for meats, then come in to the shop i work at and compare, its almost exactly the same pricing. i remember seeing a flyer 3 weeks for a grocery chain, forget which one unfortunately, selling STEWING BEEF for $24/kg we sell ours at $14.31/kg

if you want to compare heres some of our pricing, keeping in mind this is Ontario grown, no growth hormones, no antibiotics, free range AAA grade beef, you have to compare apples to apples afterall

Ribeye (Delmonico Steaks) $35.25/kg 15.99/lb

NY Strips $33.04/kg 14.99/lb

T-Bone $29.90/kg $13.51/lb

Top Sirloin $21.80/kg $9.90lb

Stew: $14.31/kg $6.49/lb

Ground Beef $12.10/kg $5.49/lb

Bone In Pork Chops $10.98/kg 4.98/lb

Butterfly Chops $14.31/kg $6.49/lb

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts $17.59/kg $7.98/lb

Pork BACK Ribs $16.31/kg $7.39/lb

This weeks Sobeys Flyer

NY Strips and Prime Rib Steaks $14.99/lb on sale regular 17.59/lb! Thats $1.50/lb more than our ribeyes and $3.50/lb MORE than our NY Strips

https://www.sobeys.com/en/flyer?utf8=%E2%9C%93&products%5Bq%5D=&products%5Bdepartment_id%5D=43

the stereotypes about small butcher shops being more expensive just is not true, we have to stay competative and almost on par with the chain stores, otherwise we could lose that valuable customer base

If I'm in the city I will choose a Mom and Pop butchers shop every time now with meat prices through the roof. Even at a few cents more a pound. I can't ask the butcher a question or cut my steaks or roasts to my liking when I'm staring at into the display at the big stores. I can at the small shops because the butcher is standing right there. When I see a small handful of stewing beef for 6 bucks like last week at Zehrs I want to scream. I'm surprised they don't have security guards there keeping an eye on the meat. Actually shoplifting meat is something common now I'm told, the crackheads and misfits are up early and are sold out by 9AM in Hamilton. Apparently they go in on a scooter early and fill up, no one wants to mess with an old lady on a scooter.

Any one here remember the butcher shops that had 3" of sawdust on the floor?

If I'm in the city I will choose a Mom and Pop butchers shop every time now with meat prices through the roof. Even at a few cents more a pound. I can't ask the butcher a question or cut my steaks or roasts to my liking when I'm staring at into the display at the big stores. I can at the small shops because the butcher is standing right there. When I see a small handful of stewing beef for 6 bucks like last week at Zehrs I want to scream. I'm surprised they don't have security guards there keeping an eye on the meat. Actually shoplifting meat is something common now I'm told, the crackheads and misfits are up early and are sold out by 9AM in Hamilton. Apparently they go in on a scooter early and fill up, no one wants to mess with an old lady on a scooter.

Any one here remember the butcher shops that had 3" of sawdust on the floor?

we are one of those shops. we used to use sawdust way back, then switched to cornmeal, then the health department made us switch to this crap almost like a fine kitty litter, and we told to take it and shove it, and we went back to using cornmeal, and still use it on the floors

We used sawdust back in the 60's / 70's and I still have the wood meat block from my father's store, that adorns the center of our kitchen here at home. Complete with the concave grove that I cleaned into it as a kid with the wire block brush. Not sure how we got out alive... can't cut on wood anymore.. can't put sawdust on the floor. Anyone ever notice how grungy that nylon cutting board you have now gets.. and that's what has to be used as a cutting surface. :whistling:

We used sawdust back in the 60's / 70's and I still have the wood meat block from my father's store, that adorns the center of our kitchen here at home. Complete with the concave grove that I cleaned into it as a kid with the wire block brush. Not sure how we got out alive... can't cut on wood anymore.. can't put sawdust on the floor. Anyone ever notice how grungy that nylon cutting board you have now gets.. and that's what has to be used as a cutting surface. :whistling:

we've got one of those at work as well, solid maple, im 6'4 and its been cleaned down to about knee height in the middle. the nylon are nice, but one slice with the knife and its almost impossible to clean it properly, we use a pressure washer to clean em. still use the metal block brush for the wood block though