Ling Cod

Mr.Topwater!

I was told by the former owner of Bear Creek Cottages, I think it was Dick Donovan, years ago if you have ever ordered scallops in North Bay in winter there is a good chance you will get Ling Cod loin, that's pretty good. Yes they are good, caught a few through the ice and kept a few after he told us that. You take each side of the back, loin, and do them just like scallops. Ugly as sin but not as ugly as some things I've put in my lips on over the years. Like Monk fish, got ya.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

they call them poor mans lobster.

Ive never eaten them but im not much of a fish eater. I do recall during my time living in Flin Flon during the annual Burbot Derby (ling cod) The absolutely massive free fish fry that was held for everyone to enjoy. My brother to this day says that deep fried Burbot is bloody delicious. So if you are a seafood fan at all, id say go for it.

I tried it last winter and was disappointed. I had caught trout that day so we had t for dinner and stuck the ling in the freezer. We didn't get around to cooking it for a few weeks---I kept bringing home small lakers. When we did it tasted like a dishrag. I don't know if freezing it ruined it. Normally low fat fish keep well in the freezer for a few weeks.

My lake, they are there but not easy to catch. I put a lot of effort last winter to try and figure them out. I only caught 1 when I least expected, mid day.

100_2986_zpse45bd265.jpg

I had a tip on a spawning area for the late winter that didn't work out. From talking to the old timers, they used to be abundant and easy to catch. I'm guessing their numbers are cyclical and it's a low cycle now. I do have another tip for a lake up the road where from dusk on, the bite is great.

I did eat that one, fresh, never frozen, as good as walleye and whitefish, deep fried.

edit- oh yeah, 20 years ago my brother thought he had a giant laker, through the ice, at dusk. It was a ling bigger than any ling I've ever seen even in pictures.

Edited by chris.brock