Ice Fishing Creations / Purchases This Year?

EC1

I was a off topic on my last post: I need new line for my ice rods, other than that I'm pretty good for this year.

It's not going to happen this year, but I'd like to build an ice shack and place it on the lake down my gravel road; sure would make it easy to fish for a couple hours without having to haul all kinds of gear every time I want to go out.

Great price

Let us know if they work well.

Well the mailman dropped off the new purchase yesterday. It doesn't come with any instructions, however I'm sure most of us can figure out the star drag, clicker button and spool drag without to much difficulty. The spool has the tiniest amount of wobble, nothing I'm worried about. To engage free spool, push in the side gold button, to retrieve, just crank, instant anti reverse. I put a 110yd pony spool of 6lb mono on, lots of room left over. One turn of the crank retrieves 16 inches of line. I pulled line a couple of times with different drag settings, seems to come off smooth. Then I put on the smallest snap swivel, free spool and down it goes. Added the tiniest split shot and it takes right off. This was done inside. I took the spool off, there's no grease in there to get stiff and slow things down in freezing temps. So far so good, wait and see how it performs with a perch on the other end.

It's not really for ice fishing but I could use it if I wanted.

I'm in the middle of designing and building a large komatik to haul my building materials in to my cabin site.

The size will be just under 4' wide and 12' long.

My new planer and belt sander should come in handy. ;)

I'll post pics when I get it built.

Well the mailman dropped off the new purchase yesterday. It doesn't come with any instructions, however I'm sure most of us can figure out the star drag, clicker button and spool drag without to much difficulty. The spool has the tiniest amount of wobble, nothing I'm worried about. To engage free spool, push in the side gold button, to retrieve, just crank, instant anti reverse. I put a 110yd pony spool of 6lb mono on, lots of room left over. One turn of the crank retrieves 16 inches of line. I pulled line a couple of times with different drag settings, seems to come off smooth. Then I put on the smallest snap swivel, free spool and down it goes. Added the tiniest split shot and it takes right off. This was done inside. I took the spool off, there's no grease in there to get stiff and slow things down in freezing temps. So far so good, wait and see how it performs with a perch on the other end.

when you hold the reel on an angle, spool face towards the ground, does the spool slip off and go into free spool?

that's the biggest piss off about my black betty, and the price sucked for what you get...glad to see some cheaper competitor options, the freespool feature got me bites

when you hold the reel on an angle, spool face towards the ground, does the spool slip off and go into free spool?

that's the biggest piss off about my black betty, and the price sucked for what you get...glad to see some cheaper competitor options, the freespool feature got me bites

Never tried holding it with spool towards the ground, I'll do a thorough check when I get home and report back.

I was a off topic on my last post: I need new line for my ice rods, other than that I'm pretty good for this year.

It's not going to happen this year, but I'd like to build an ice shack and place it on the lake down my gravel road; sure would make it easy to fish for a couple hours without having to haul all kinds of gear every time I want to go out.

be careful and i hope you have good neighbours???

my brand new shack got broken into, used as a brothel, and i lost my heater and two propane tanks. just to be nice they smashed out the windows, ripped off the door and smashed a hole through the wall

oh and some needles on the floor just for decoration

Edited by manitoubass2

Well I tried every conceivable position, rattle, shook, caressed, fondled, nope, the spool doesn't go into free spool.

hmm, i warrantied mine right out of the box, the new one does the same thing....they told me that's how it was...

I've used the reel and like the freespool function, but has a tendency to slip into freespool when it shouldn't, ie right before i set the hook...left hand retrieve, so when I hold rod with my right hand, the spool naturally faces the ground

Edited by bare foot wader