What do you do with your reel boxes and packaging...?

adam lancia

As the topic states, I'm wondering what everyone does with the boxes, packaging and other stuff that comes with a new reel...? I bought a new Revo STX in September and threw the box and sponge padding away as soon as I got home. I regret that now since I'm not sure I want to keep the reel and would like to return it to BPS, but understandably, I would need the original packaging and am now kicking myself for not keeping it. I haven't fished the reel yet since my last outing of the year got kiboshed by that cranky old broad, Mother Nature...

recycling for me.

I rarely buy high end reels and I get my use outta the ones I buy.

most my reels perform awesome with exception being ice fishing reels. I could careless if a $25 dollar reel craps out on me after two or three seasons.

I might keep the boxes however if I had the room.

I hate stuff lying around taking up space however. ask my better half. all her work trips mean garbage clean up for me. bags and bags and bags lol

this usually means alot of donations too.

I learned one thing though, DO NOT EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, THROW AWAY CANNING MATERIALS.

her foot came down purdy hard on that one

I always keep my boxes, especially for the reels. Great place to keep the gear lube/schematic that usually comes along with it.

I keep the original packaging for most everything.

Cameras, lenses, fish finders, other small electronics, reels, etc.

Seems you get a better price when it comes time to resell.

For whatever reason a buyer is more easily enticed if it's all there and intact.

I have a cabinet that all of my fishing gear goes into. Every box that came with a reel is in

there. It is an easy way to find a schematic and all of the stuff that comes with the reel stays in there until it is needed.

I also take all of the line off of my reels, back off the drag and cast control setting and then put the reel back in the box for the winter.

used to be a collector or frequent buyer and seller, kept everything...sold off a bunch past few years to fund new stuff...now all packaging hits the woodstove

keep schematics on the expensive reels, get tossed into a drawer along with all the little packs of oil and vbs brakes,etc i've accumulated

I actually witnessed a guy refuse to buy a last in stock demo reel at 10% off because it didn't come with the box, to me that is odd but to each their own

Looks like the panel is split on this one. If I had the room, I'd keep the boxes, even if my wife did tell me that it serves no purpose other than to occupy space. I would only have 4 reel boxes if that were the case... Anyone know of any inexpensive, weather-tight storage solutions for in our backyard...? 5'x10' would likely do it. I should add that we're only renting a house at the moment, however, my parents live nearby so if we were to pick up the family again, they would be glad to inherit it. Thoughts...? I'd just keep it close enough to the house that I could run an extension cord to it for a little space heater.

I tend to keep them now, good for keeping the swag that comes with them in as noted by others. Also had some evidence that it does help resale too. We had a moving sale for my parents on the weekend EVERY reel in a box (even if dad packaged them wrong) SOLD. Even the more expensive shimanos sat, because they weren't in a box, over the cheapie mitchells and diawas. I guess 7 bucks is the cut off point for used fishing gear too LOL.