Portable ice huts..

skdds

Hi guys,

I'm considering adding a 2-3 man portable ice hut to my hard water gear this year. I was looking at the Rapalas..seems like a reasonable option for the price as I really don't want to spend more than about $350. Any recommendations/brands to consider? Ease of set up, weight and durability are probably the most important factors..but I realize I might get what I pay for..

Thanks skdds

Are you walking or using transportation?

If walking opt for a pop-up and get a lite sled for it & your gear.

This is mine a Eskimo. By far the best anchors.

21Jan12Boshkung001.jpg

If you have a snowmobile or an ATV a flip over is a good choice. They set-up far quicker but can be a pain to pull by hand if there is snow cover on the ice.

Edited by Woodsman

As said if your hand dragging your gear out, get a popup.

I have a 2 man popup for early ice when I can't take the Yamaha out. ;)

So you never got to use it then eh Dave :whistling:

I have the Eskimo as well. Like stated,best anchor screws. The bad side about it is,it a tight hub,so it,s hard to zip up,without colapsing the door wall. Maybe this year it will be stretched out enough that it will zip up easier.

As for pulling it out,build yourself a smitty sled. The cats meow for dragging stuff out.

, definitely worth it to get the drill attachment for the anchors

If your handy,you can make the attachment yourself.

Edited by Brian B

if you move around on the ice, a flip-over is the way to go in my opinion. the pop-ups are ok if you get out, put it up and stay in that spot.

Up and down in a couple minutes. No worries here. On those non windy days,Just drag it.LOL

Edited by Brian B

I have both. A fishtrap guide for behind the ATV and a small popup for when I'm walking. I have no issues moving around with the popup. I actually sold my old flip over when I first got the popup, but then a deal on a flipover came along that was too good through a buddy, so I bought it as it was a 2 man. I really like the popup, and they are light and compact in the sled! As was mentioned, just make sure you drop a stake in the ice first, then put up your shelter. I have one ice screw that I attach a long rope too, that runs to the popup, and I use this one for setting up, then put a couple more screws in. When I want to move, it only takes a few minutes to pack up.

I have a Clam Nanook flip over that I pull with my ATV. It's comfortable for 2 guys, sets up in 2 minutes, easy on the budget. $400.00. Mr. Buddy heater keeps it comfy also. There is a lot of room for storing gear, 2 doors is very handy. Bonus is on a warm sunny day (March) I don't even set it up, just sit on top of it & suntan while catching perchies!!

Ive had a flip over for years, and love them, but im really considering a pop up for this season. You get a lot more space for the weight, and they really do set up easy. For run and gun fishing, and eaase of transport though, you cant beat a flip over.

S.

I like my Clam 2000 for walking with little snow. It's a hard base like a suitcase and fits in the back of most cars. The hard base allows me to use it as my sled too and I just strap the auger and other items to the top half of the case and it does have bucket holder rings. They go up and down real quick too. This year I may opt for a new pop up however as I didn't even use the 2000 last year. I'm going to store the 2000 at the cottage I think so I have a shelter there because I most often drive now on the ice.

Edited by GBW