FWD/AWD for launching?

Dutch01

Saving to buy a boat next spring, which is going to require a new vehicle as well (mine won't tow anything).

Just wondering if anyone uses a FWD vehicle for launching and how they've found it. AWD adds a few thousand $$$ so debating if I can get away with just FWD....

Appreciate any feedback.

Edited by Dutch01

Front wheel drive is definitely better than just rear wheel

I'd argue that statement all day when all the weight lifts off the drive (Front) wheels when you are trying to pull the boat out. At least with a RWD the weight (and traction) shifts to your power wheels.

definately get AWD for piece of mind unless you only launch on perfect concrete launches during perfect weather between May and end of October.

I'd argue that statement all day when all the weight lifts off the drive (Front) wheels when you are trying to pull the boat out. At least with a RWD the weight (and traction) shifts to your power wheels.

definately get AWD for piece of mind unless you only launch on perfect concrete launches during perfect weather between May and end of October.

X2 Was stuck a few times with my FWD. Switched to RWD vehicle and never had a problem at those same launches. I'd get the AWD for piece of mind as well if you can afford to do so.

Two wheel drive (front or rear) with a limited-slip differential and you'll be able to pull sub-2000lb boats out of 99% of launches.

My dad used to use my old Volvo 850R wagon (back when it was bone stock) to tow his 18ft aluminum Lowe fishing machine. FWD with open front differential. Pulled the boat out with never as much as any wheel spin except for one extremely hairy muddy launch (was raining) way up north on nippissing. We had to get an old ford bronco with front and rear air lockers to pull it out, and even then it was barely able to. We then switched to towing with a Volvo XC70 with all-wheel drive. That AWD system was a mechanical system with a center viscous coupling. No real difference at all when pulling out the boat. Most AWD systems with a full-time 90/10 torque split will barely send any more power to the rear in a zero traction or low-speed situation. So for pulling a boat out at extremely slow speeds those systems are barely any help. Very few AWD systems use a center diff with full-time 50/50 torque split. Some older manual transmission subarus, and a hand full of AWD cars that use a wet-clutch pack electrically engaged center diff have the options to lock it to get 50/50 torque split (suzuki SX4, new jeep cherokee, etc). And even fewer AWD systems have a limited slip on either axle, so you're basically still in the same boat as an open diff 2wd vehicle.

So what I'm getting at is very few AWD systems will be useful at the boat launch. The only real step up from two-wheel drive is two-wheel drive with a limited slip diff or an actual 4x4 system that uses a 50/50 split transfer case. The big bonus of getting a real 4x4 is that it's usually paired with a two speed transfer case so you also get low-range. My dad's Suzuki Grand Vitara in low-gear can pull his 21ft Lowe out of the water with both feet off the pedals, and that's a 4cyl with 184ft.lbs.

Just some things to think about. Factor in weight of the boat, what kind of launches you'll be using, how many times a year you'll be towing, etc. etc to see if you actually NEED a truck.

The biggest mistake I see at the boat launch are people leaving their ESP and traction control systems on and can't figure out why their $50k 4x4 truck can't pull their boat out of the water with the gas pedal to the floor. That only becomes an issue if it's pouring down rain or if the slip is gravel.

Edited by Wagoneer

With FWD you will have to pick and choose your launches. I know a guy who tows a Ranger with a Santa Fe and really needs to be careful with the launched he uses. He tries to stick with cement launches and doesn't have any issues with them. If he was to go to a gravel launch, it would be a little hairy.

Two wheel drive (front or rear) with a limited-slip differential and you'll be able to pull sub-2000lb boats out of 99% of launches.

My dad used to use my old Volvo 850R wagon (back when it was bone stock) to tow his 18ft aluminum Lowe fishing machine. FWD with open front differential. Pulled the boat out with never as much as any wheel spin except for one extremely hairy muddy launch (was raining) way up north on nippissing. We had to get an old ford bronco with front and rear air lockers to pull it out, and even then it was barely able to. We then switched to towing with a Volvo XC70 with all-wheel drive. That AWD system was a mechanical system with a center viscous coupling. No real difference at all when pulling out the boat. Most AWD systems with a full-time 90/10 torque split will barely send any more power to the rear in a zero traction or low-speed situation. So for pulling a boat out at extremely slow speeds those systems are barely any help. Very few AWD systems use a center diff with full-time 50/50 torque split. Some older manual transmission subarus, and a hand full of AWD cars that use a wet-clutch pack electrically engaged center diff have the options to lock it to get 50/50 torque split (suzuki SX4, new jeep cherokee, etc). And even fewer AWD systems have a limited slip on either axle, so you're basically still in the same boat as an open diff 2wd vehicle.

So what I'm getting at is very few AWD systems will be useful at the boat launch. The only real step up from two-wheel drive is two-wheel drive with a limited slip diff or an actual 4x4 system that uses a 50/50 split transfer case. The big bonus of getting a real 4x4 is that it's usually paired with a two speed transfer case so you also get low-range. My dad's Suzuki Grand Vitara in low-gear can pull his 21ft Lowe out of the water with both feet off the pedals, and that's a 4cyl with 184ft.lbs.

Just some things to think about. Factor in weight of the boat, what kind of launches you'll be using, how many times a year you'll be towing, etc. etc to see if you actually NEED a truck.

The biggest mistake I see at the boat launch are people leaving their ESP and traction control systems on and can't figure out why their $50k 4x4 truck can't pull their boat out of the water with the gas pedal to the floor. That only becomes an issue if it's pouring down rain or if the slip is gravel.

FYI, the AWD Honda Pilot and Ridgeline have a centre locking differential.

The thing works really well and is pretty surprising really.

I have even used my Pilot to rescue a stuck Suburban on the beach in Alaska. :D

I've towed and launched with a mini-van, Honda Civic, Nissan Altima, and various 4x4 trucks/suvs.

On paved ramps with a light-weight boat, FWD is perfectly fine ... even if its wet. You'll never have a single issue.

On un-paved ramps, you will have all kinds of issues with FWD. If you have a heavy boat, I'd say 4x4 is required for un-paved ramps.

Lots of great advice here guys thanks.

I'd like to get a 4x4 pick up if possible so I can launch anywhere anytime, but finances may not permit. And as an old (somewhat) wise man once said "you cant always get what you want".

At least I know what I'm in for if I get a FWD/AWD SUV.

Go with a 4x4/awd if available.Will cost more up front,but parts are usually a lot stronger,and not to mention a way better resale value.I have not driven a rear wheel vehicle for years.75% of the time it may work.It's that last 25% that can be iffy at best.The deals on 4x4's are awesome now.

Good luck on whatever you decide .

A little trick that works great if you have 2 people at a less than perfect launch is to push the vehicle out with the boat. One guy driving the tow vehicle and the other pushing with the outboard in gear and throttle down as much as needed.

My buddy had truck issues and had left pulling his boat out until the last minute. I had a Nissan Kingcab with a 4 cylinder engine, RWD and his boat was a 20ft bassboat with a 200 on it. Snow covered gravel launch with a gentle slope and I thought there was no way of getting his boat out and not having me put the truck in the lake. I got the trailer in the lake with no issues and waited for him to arrive with the boat. Got the boat on the trailer and with the push from the outboard I pulled him out and towed him a few doors down the road to his house.

Not necessarily doable at every launch but this one had some depth for the outboard to do the work and not wreck the skeg or prop. I've used that trick a few times since. Now with the 4x4, I don't have any issues and really don't think I could do without it.

FWD vehicle, install a class 1 or 2 hitch receiver on the front of the vehicle. Get to the launch unhook the trailer from the rear; spin the the Mini van/SUV whatever around and hitch the trailer to the front. Now you have the trailer's tongue weight on the drive wheels and you're not dealing with mirrors, trying to back down a launch.

I have never seen how well it works in person; but I have a customer that swears by it?

It kind of makes sense for another reason; reversing out of the launch will also give you more low rpm torque because of the gearing?

Like I said this guy swears by it?

Dan.

FWD vehicle, install a class 1 or 2 hitch receiver on the front of the vehicle. Get to the launch unhook the trailer from the rear; spin the the Mini van/SUV whatever around and hitch the trailer to the front. Now you have the trailer's tongue weight on the drive wheels and you're not dealing with mirrors, trying to back down a launch.

I have never seen how well it works in person; but I have a customer that swears by it?

It kind of makes sense for another reason; reversing out of the launch will also give you more low rpm torque because of the gearing?

Like I said this guy swears by it?

Dan.

Actually I have seen that same thing on the trent river at a dirit-gravel launch..He used a Dodge caravan..I was waiting to see what happened..He walked a 18 foot aluminum boat out with a 80 on it with no problem at all..I was shocked to see that..Thought for sure id have to go get my Ram 4x4 to drag him and his boat out...lol

Edited by tb4me

Go with a 4x4/awd if available.Will cost more up front,but parts are usually a lot stronger,and not to mention a way better resale value.I have not driven a rear wheel vehicle for years.75% of the time it may work.It's that last 25% that can be iffy at best.The deals on 4x4's are awesome now.

Good luck on whatever you decide .

I loooove RWD, especially in the winter. I turn the traction control off and drive with the throttle - yeah I'm "that guy".

I'll be sad to see the car go but the only other option I can think of is to pay for a slip somewhere which limits me to one lake all summer (if I did that I'd probably choose Balsam for the short drive there).

I loooove RWD, especially in the winter. I turn the traction control off and drive with the throttle - yeah I'm "that guy".

I'll be sad to see the car go but the only other option I can think of is to pay for a slip somewhere which limits me to one lake all summer (if I did that I'd probably choose Balsam for the short drive there).

How can you argue that logic?Just make sure when your on it there is no one else around.I'm sure you know that

FWD would be a great if you had a front mount receiver and pulled the boat out in reverse :)

All kidding aside a FWD is fine, but it all depends on the conditions of the ramps you're using. If these are good concrete/paved ramps I doubt you'll ever have an issue. The problem arises when you hit that one ramp and get stuck, then you'll be thinking 'Why didn't I get a 4x4'

First thing I'd ask is how big is your boat?

I'm towing my boat right now with a fwd and I haven't had any issues at all, and I wouldn't hesitate to launch at most dirt launches. I haven't even spun a tire.

That said, I'm in the market for a 4wd vehicle, because once you've had it, you miss it baaaaad!! Trust me!

S.

Everybody has a launching story, here's mine:

I come back to the launch and see there is a 4 X 4 suv stuck, digging itself down, he has the floor mats under the wheels too and that's not working. Tried to direct him but nothing is workin. So I tell him to back up and get the boat off. He is able to pull out without the weight of the boat and trailer. We hitch his trailer to my manual transmissiion Subaru with 50:50 torque split (not rated for towing by the way). I back in, load the boat and pull out the rig (over the ruts) without a slip.

He offered me cash but I gave him a Walleye for dinner and we parted ways.......

Kawartha Guy