gill netting stopped on Nipissing

kickingfrog

If you have problem with your plumbing and it's flooding your home, do you first address the very large leak or the small leak first.

Neither, you add another sump pump in the basement and wonder why your electric bill is so high.

I still say to completely close the netting program, let the FN open a bunch of lodges and make a s pile of money with visitors.

Reagan, Looks like the netting plan is to shorten the season for a couple of years. They will not be "allowed" to net until the May long weekend, which coincides with the summer season for recreational anglers. hen they are proposing to close it at the end of August. My guess is that within 5 years there will be no more commercial fishery on Nipissing.

Mike Rousseau, you may not mind if your limit changed from 4 to 2. But you may have fewer clients wanting to spend money to catch fish that the CAN'T keep. It has certainly impacted our local lodges, tourist outfitters and guides!

P.S. I still cant use the quote feature????

Maybe... But as of now we have no slot and a "keeper" here is 3-4 pounds... 2 of them per person is plenty... Heck 1 of them would feed my family of 4...

What I would like is instead of a lake by lake solution... Tighten up everywhere.... Then the MNR/government wouldn't be playing god with travel and tourism folks' livelihoods.... I feel bad for the people working on places like Nip...

Most people I've had the pleasure to fish with aren't meat starved fisherman looking to go home with big bags of fish... They want to learn how to fish and get a meal or 2 of fish in the process...

But I guess I'm lucky in regards to the people I get to fish with...

Most tourist are looking for a good time with a few fish fries which can be easily done with a 2 fish limit. I have yet to have any one I know come back from Canada with fish much less enough to feed his friends. Nipissing has always been a destination for me and my friends and the fisheries can be improved but it is the Canadians I need more than the fish.

Art

wow and here I though Nipps Pickeral fishing had rebounded. We stopped fishing there for 10 years because of a lack of catching. Got back into it three years ago with Grumps ice huts and it's been very good to us for the past three years. Buddy landed a 9 lbr last year through the ice on 4 lb line! Can't wait for the ice.

Most tourist are looking for a good time with a few fish fries which can be easily done with a 2 fish limit. I have yet to have any one I know come back from Canada with fish much less enough to feed his friends. Nipissing has always been a destination for me and my friends and the fisheries can be improved but it is the Canadians I need more than the fish.

Art

Fishermen who travel great distances expect to catch fish or they would stay much closer to home and fish. If the limit is only 2 with a probability of going down to one it's a signal to fishermen the fishing at any said lake is not good and they look for more fruitful waters to have a fishing party/gathering/get together. This is not good for business along any lake shoreline.

Fishermen who travel great distances expect to catch fish or they would stay much closer to home and fish. If the limit is only 2 with a probability of going down to one it's a signal to fishermen the fishing at any said lake is not good and they look for more fruitful waters to have a fishing party/gathering/get together. This is not good for business along any lake shoreline.

I'm not sure I can explain it to you but fishing is not only about what you catch but how you enjoy the time there. While at Nippising I have no problems catching all of the fish I want because I have fished it for 11 years with some of the most knowledgeable people on the board. If I had to make the choice of forgetting all that they have taught me about the lake or losing the memories of the fun and laughter we have shared. I will chose the fun and laughter every time. I travel 13 hours and pass some of the best waters Canada has to offer to fish with my friends and yes I would like for Nipissing to improve but it is far from the fished out place some want to paint it as.

Art

I'm not sure I can explain it to you but fishing is not only about what you catch but how you enjoy the time there. While at Nippising I have no problems catching all of the fish I want because I have fished it for 11 years with some of the most knowledgeable people on the board. If I had to make the choice of forgetting all that they have taught me about the lake or losing the memories of the fun and laughter we have shared. I will chose the fun and laughter every time. I travel 13 hours and pass some of the best waters Canada has to offer to fish with my friends and yes I would like for Nipissing to improve but it is far from the fished out place some want to paint it as.

Art

I second that. I can't speak for all Americans, but for the 12 people in my family that venture to the Nipissing area for vacation, fishing is only a small part of the reason we go there. We've developed a great relationship with our hosts and the area itself is what brings us back. Sometimes I like to stream the radio stations from north bay just to reminisce.

I'll go back as often as I can. Eyes or not!

Mike Rousseau, I wish we could keep one or two 3-4 pounders. Our limit is 2 fish over 18" and I would hazard to guess that 80% of the lakes remaining walleye are 20" or less. Last winter my hut caught 150+ walleye (lots were too small to keep) and only 3 were over 18"!

Edited by Nipfisher