Fall fishing 2014 Updated Oct. 27 with pics

msp

It looks as if the boat will be put away a little early this year and the 2014 season will come to a close shortly. Priorities change and parental responsibilities kick into full swing by mid October.
Once bass season is underway, thoughts and dreams of flipping a jig and pig clutter my mind. Largemouth love I call it. Everybody has their favorite fish to chase. For me its hunting largemouth.
This season was a different season for sure. With the late and unseasonably cold spring, the lakes that I fish seemed quite different than I am used to. Fluctuating water levels and limited weed growth in the places that I usually fish had the fish spread out in not so typical locations. A tough season for big fish this summer for sure.
I did fish a few times this fall on solo missions and got out with a couple of non-fishing friends that truly enjoyed just getting out.

You know the fishermans saying " one more spot ? " Our saying is " one more lake ? " It is not uncommon for us to hit 3 or 4 lakes in one day, running and gunning to all of our hotspots.
Enjoy a few pics from this fall.

Two good ones from a new lake
IMG_2775_zpscc9c56d2.jpg
IMG_2771_zpsed051217.jpg

Two good ones from two different lakes that day
IMG_0731_zpsa4600a74.jpg
IMG_0728_zpsa3d23b14.jpg
IMG_0744_zps8f1fd529.jpg
IMG_1068_zps5b5365d1.jpg

Another new lake near Kingston
IMG_00000238_zpsb1da4052.jpg

A fat largie off a tree
IMG_5569_zpsf19c38a4.jpg

Found them under docks that day
IMG_00000232_zpsa59a81c6.jpg

A nice fatty ( not me ! )
IMG_00000180_zpsf5c72473.jpg

Hero shot !
IMG_0733_zps61f6c207.jpg
Although Im typically not a Muskie fisherman ( I don't know why ) This fish was the highlight of my fall.
As we got closer to the launch at the end of a really tough day, I decided to fish one more spot. A rivermouth with a steep current break. The sun was going
down and I was throwing a flipping jig into deeper water hoping for a big largemouth. BAM " fish on ! "
A 46 inch fall fatty fought like mad in the current as my boat spun in circles in a back eddy. drag loosened off on the flipping stick , the fish was hooked
perfectly in the snout. A great landing job by my buddy, she was in the boat.
IMG_00000250_zps338c0e24.jpg
IMG_00000246_zpsab5199a6.jpg
Hopefully a couple more trips this year if all goes well. I will report back if any big fish get boated.
Thanks for looking !

Edited by msp

Thanks Guys.

I really should try cranks in the fall. From here on we will start to get good largemouth bites on jerkbaits though.

Water temps were around 60- 63 degrees.

A couple of fish were shallow but the key was that they had deep water close by.

Many fish were near their summer spots ( shallow bays ) but they seem be hanging out in the deeper weeds just outside of the shallow bays. 8-10 ft

or they were on rocky points adjacent to the shallow bays

When the water starts to drop into the 50's typically we will target 8-12 ft depth with suspending jerkbaits, jigs and senkos.

During the warm spell we just had in late September the days I went fishing there was little to no wind. Fishing was tough as hell but ended up getting a few good bites instead of numbers ( which is fine with me )

That was the day that I found a good dock bite. also seemed to be holding on deep wood.

IMG_00000272_zpsf142845e.jpg

IMG_00000267_zpse20faee0.jpg

Got out for a couple hours with my son this weekend.

The kid absolutely smoked them. I couldn't get a bite on the jig. The fish only wanted the senko.

On Sunday he boated 13 in 4 hours and I boated 3

On Monday he boated 11 and I boated 4

Here are the 2 biggest. Around 3.5 pounds ?

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't get out on Saturday due to family obligations. With 30km winds in the forcast and a high of only 8 degrees we knew the bass bite woulkd be shut off.
Decided to target pike. Boat control was tougher than normal but the fish were biting well. Boated plenty of pike on jerkbaits.
Here are our 2 biggest
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image