OUR QUEST, for a laker on the toons

misfish

It has been OUR QUEST, both Terry and I, to land a laker fishing out on the toons this year. We have been out a lot, but the weather really didnt help with our days most of the time. Wind,current,rain storms, all played a factor, but we still gave it a good effort each time we tried. We both had no idea what it would be like if we hooked into one,a decent one. Out on the boat you have your feet planted and have full control and leverage. Long rods to fight the fish and a boat that will not be dragged around, get the fish to the boat and just net it. If it made a good run,you just put the boat in gear and head towards it.

BUT WITH ALL THAT SAID,WE ARE FISHING FROM TOONS.

I had thought about heading out in the AM for some bass action on little lake,but with the forcast that was called for and Terry putting a bug in my ear "LAST CHANCE DUDE TO GET ONE" it was a simple decision this morning. Get to the meet up location at 5:30 am and get set up.

Why so early you say,sun dosent rise til 7am.

THIS IS WHY. THE AMAZING MIRACLES OF SUN RISES.

Once the sun was up and safe to head out to deeper waters,we made our quest journey once again. It was the best morning we had ever seen all season out on our toons. No wind,flat water,no current. We could just float in one spot and mark our jigs. it,s so frustrating trying to hold a spot and trying to mark your jig when the elements are against you. We both had some good chases the first couple of hours, but none wanted to take a chomp at the baits.

That was till one said OK,lets play this game. 115 fow. Large mark comes in at 90 fow. I start to reel up the tube. As I reach the 95 fow mark,the line dips. I continued to reel the tube and, WHAM BAM SLAM. FISH ON.

Ok this is different. Sit back you fool or he,s going to pull you in the water. Get the flippers out and get them set on the pegs. Ahhhh, that,s better. Ok now fight the fight you dog. It runs and dives like they always do. Hey Terry look,Im moving. That was an interesting feeling. You will notice in the video during the second run,the transducer is being dragged. That,s how strong these fish are. LOL

Disclosure

When I seen the fish 15 ft down,it looked like 10 lb. It was more like 8. Wouldnt fit in the net,Well it did. There is one swear word. SORRY. PG.

I really had to work hard to squeeze this 1 oz jig head in the tube. Glad I did.

SEPT282014023_zps06f0bf75.jpg

This is our grumpy old men take on the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

FIRST LAKER OUT ON THE TOON,,,,,,,,,Take 65,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ACTION

Now to get a white fish on the toon. But that will have to wait til next years opener.

Thanks bud for twisting my arm this morning.

IM A HAPPY HAPPY GUY .

Edited by Brian B

Well done Brian. Bravo! Loving the vids from both you and Terry.

I've been thinking long and hard about getting a pontoon for both my steelhead and softwater fishing as well as for my underwater photography. Maybe next season.LOL