Dipsy's really work?

davey buoy

We have spent hours with a *0 and a 1 Changed up the lures.Between the two we are running 40 to almost 60. The fish are in that area 85% of the time last couple days.Maybe the bite is off,maybe something were doing?.We change speeds,do turns.Not sure what's going on??.Any help would be appreciated!.Thanks again.

What are you targeting ? Kings ?

Are you using wire, braid or mono ?

What lures, leader length etc ?

Tell us how you rigging it ?

Dipsys ( wire diver ) work well on Lake Ontario, we run A-Tomik flies, meat and spoons of them and take a lot of fish on those set ups,

They all require different leader lengths etc,

Mind you dipsy is another effective tool just like riggers, leadcore, copper etc,

Some days one lure / setup catches more than others.

Lake Simcoe Lakers.Running 8\30 pp.Running a 7' 15 lb fluro leader.Other than a small perch 3 times ago,not even a release of some sort.Never have seen more fish in that lake as of late.I do know September can be a tough month.Hearing on Sunday,fishing has been tough the last little. While.Too many Herring maybe?,lolm

Yep, set the two outsides on #3 setting. Thats the advantage of dipsys.....they get your lures away from the boat.

That said, I've never caught a laker on a dipsy. Tried many times with no luck. Mostly on shield lakes, but still, no lakers ever on dipsy's.

S.

I've only fished lake o with dipseys, I don't have my riggers installed but I have been able to catch fish with dipseys and lead core. When I am on boats with riggers and dipseys the dipsey rods seem to catch just as many fish as the rigger rods.

If you end up giving the dipseys a try on lake o as bill suggests, you may want to stop in At shortwave marine in port credit, they have given me some good advice on set ups and baits that are working.

Thanks guys for all the info.If I was to make that one trip down,maybe out of port Credit or Bluffers,What would be our best odds time wise/month/etc.This fall could be a option.?Also not giving to much away,are they closer to shore this time of year,or a few miles out.Thanks again.

Late June-mid August is typically the best time, you will catch some into September

From the bluffs head west and fish the "drop off", look at your charts and you will easily figure out where it is... Productive depths vary depending on bait location and water temperature, find the bait clouds and you will usually find some fish hanging around it

In years past I have done well in deeper water (180-220') but this year 90-120 was good and 60-80 as September approached and the salmon headed in shallow to stage for spawning

As for dipsies, I use the #1 size, on a 3 setting. If the bait is up high, or down low I run my dipsy accordingly. My main line is 80lb Powerpro.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Pete

Dave - I don't know Simcoe at all (other than the one trip out with Brian), but on lake O I have only caught a laker on a dipsey a couple times. Depth - 80 & 95 ft; wire set up 180 / 220 foot back, set on #3, black and white spin doctor, white fly, long lead between SD & fly (36 and 42 inch), and doing about 2.5 mph on the GPS - in June. I will run the dipsey back till it bangs bottom and make a note some days just to get a feel for how deep it is running. Picking up a copy of Precision Trolling will also give some good insight- Just remember once you start getting that far back and out, every element gets magnified - especially the sub surface currents.

Keep running them, they will produce. This year for me dipseys have under produced every other presentation - but usually they will boat the biggest fish.

Be happy to take you out on the water during laker season next year if you're interested.

Lots of time still to fish Lake Ontario !!! The browns will be easy pickings in a few weeks trolling xraps along the shoreline ,,,, then the steel moves in !!!! Some of the best fast fishing of the year is almost here for Lake Ontario troll the harbor mouths with flatfish and it's game on