Can't bring myself to buy a new knife (NF)

colin519

Gerber's Bear Grylls knife is a great knife. i looked at all these places (SAIL,Flahretys, Canadian Tire, BPS and Cabelas website, the Helle site) for something that would make me spend money to replace the BG knife i've had for 2 or 3 years. I can't do it. it's just perfect. it's cheap, made well enough that it would actually help you survive without breaking, heavy enough that you never have 'too little knife' and if you lose it, who cares? buy another one. the firesteel and orange colour are just too practical to go to something without that built in.

FWIW, I usually do Algonquin/Temgami camping or elsewhere in Ontario. My needs are for scouting, fishing, emergency. I also use the knife to quickly remove the suction cup from my transom (works perfectly for this).

i do find that it's a bit too big to easily cut line from a tied knot but i've been using clippers for that since i was a kid but the serrated edge is beautiful against braid so it kinda evens out.

does anyone else have a great knife suggestion that might replace my trusty BG knife? I would love to have something that doesn't make me look like an idiot consumer in front of the grown ups :) also if you'd like to encourage me to stick to my guns and use what works i'd love to hear that also

Yes, Grohmann Canadian jump knife. Conveniently Canadian made. This and a spyderco delica are all you'll ever need. No disrespect, but I've found most Gerbers to be generally poor quality. Glad to hear that particular model of Gerber works well for you though. There are always exceptions!

Yes, Grohmann Canadian jump knife. Conveniently Canadian made. This and a spyderco delica are all you'll ever need. No disrespect, but I've found most Gerbers to be generally poor quality. Glad to hear that particular model of Gerber works well for you though. There are always exceptions!

i checked out the site and they are all ~200 bucks or so! i don't dispute that the Gerber isn't nearly the quality that i wish it was, thats why i'm open to new knives. i did use a sypderco for a camping trip a year or so ago but having nice convenient folding blade is great and i should grab one of those at some point. i have liked the fixed blade thing so i'm gonna stick with it as a primary knife.

i checked out the site and they are all ~200 bucks or so! i don't dispute that the Gerber isn't nearly the quality that i wish it was, thats why i'm open to new knives. i did use a sypderco for a camping trip a year or so ago but having nice convenient folding blade is great and i should grab one of those at some point. i have liked the fixed blade thing so i'm gonna stick with it as a primary knife.

You should be able to get a quality Grohmann for about $75 at Lebarons. The $200 knives are stag handled etc. Basically the deluxe models.

Below are just a few of many knives I have,

Cold Steel SRK san mai III ( survival rescue knife ) Japanese laminated steel. awesome survival knife.

KA-BAR Becker companion BK2 ( a little heavy but excellent chopper & general purpose knife, good steel )

Cold Steel Bushman ( inexpensive general pupose fixed blade knife with excellent steel ) for rough using around the camp/bush. also can be converted in to a spear.

Hossom Retribution ( large folder ) by Ontario knives, ( custom design by Jerry Hossom, beautiful knife made in Italy with very good german steel and micarta scales )

I am not a big fan of Chinese steel,

My dad gave me a folding buck when I was a teenager. Twenty-five years later and it's as solid as the day it was bought.

Edit to add:

IMAG1390_zps8ed5e947.jpg

Lousy camera phone shot, but it is engraved 1989. When my dad passed away 5 years later I inherited his buck. The knife looks the same, save for the engraving, but the case is much more worn. His must be over 35 years old.

Edited by kickingfrog

Kicking Frog, I love your knife.

My first ever knife was a Buck my Godfather gave me when I was 10. I'll be 60 this year hopefully. It's the only thing I have from back then. She has served me well, can't beat a Buck. Still in the original sheath. You can imagine how a 10 year old can abuse a knife. Cut down saplings as a preteen, opened beer cans a few years latter with her and carved a few hearts and initials into picnic tables.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Like Skud says, no problem having a few back ups

You can spend a bunch of knives and I sure like my custom ones from Ron Post

Canadian Tire regularly puts on a small folding Buck knife for $9.99. It's a 4" black handle folding knife. Usually found in the glass cabinet hanging on one of those peg hooks and normal price is something like $24.99. Packed up in that clear plastic that you have to destroy just to get the knife out. Keep your eye on the flyer as they will go on sale coming into hunting season. These little knifes are absolute awesome.

Never had a knife for that $ keep such a great edge. Handle is very durable and a very easy knife grip and use. When they go on sale I have to resist adding another couple to my pack.

Canadian Tire regularly puts on a small folding Buck knife for $9.99. It's a 4" black handle folding knife. Usually found in the glass cabinet hanging on one of those peg hooks and normal price is something like $24.99. Packed up in that clear plastic that you have to destroy just to get the knife out. Keep your eye on the flyer as they will go on sale coming into hunting season. These little knifes are absolute awesome.

Never had a knife for that $ keep such a great edge. Handle is very durable and a very easy knife grip and use. When they go on sale I have to resist adding another couple to my pack.

x 2...that's a great knife, I buy one every time they have the 9.99 sale

cabelas regularly puts the Kershaw folding knives on sale, they were 7.99 a while back...the rubber handle is awesome...they sharpen well and hold a good edge

if you're a hunter, another good knife is the havalon, has replaceable scalpel blades

http://www.havalon.com/piranta-edge-skinning-knife-xt60edge.html