Must Brings on a Fly-in

BassMan11

It seems that fly-in trip season is well underway. I have one coming up in September out of 7 Lakes in Nakina and want to be as prepared as possible for the drive and the trip itself. Is there anything in particular that is a must bring that is maybe out of the norm? It could be for the fishing, boat, cabin, or the ride up. I would think with the list I have been making since March that I have almost everything covered but I am sure some of the veteran fly-in guys might have something to add.

Don

Hi Don, amazingly I don't have a list but off the top of my head:

-couple cans of Seafoam (often the motors run rough - they tend to mix the gas on the rich side)

-spark plug wrench and sandpaper

-adjustable wrench and a couple of screwdrivers

-duct tape (has a million uses)

-can of indoor Raid to spray cabin before sleeping (preferred over coils, it takes 5 minutes and works great)

-bring a twin mattress sheet for each person along with your sleeping bag. (the mattresses can be gross)

-MSR water pump and 1L Nalgene bottles for clean drinking water

-clamp on rod holders for trolling

-make sure you have extra batteries for your fish finder or if the camp has a genny bring your charger

-an extra coleman lantern (these camps are notoriously dim)

-pack non perishable food items in cardboard boxes. You can burn them at camp and have one less big empty container to bring home.

I'll chime in later with more ideas.

After this month's trip, double the amount of mosquito coils you think you'll need, extra mantles for the camp lanterns, fly strips - we forgot them one year and the flies in the cabin drove us crazy, extra fishing line in case you get spooled, spare rod and reel, 50' of rope (anchor lines, boat lines, clothes lines etc), golf towel - I put in in the boat to dry my hands, hand creme (no jokes fellas) as I find that having wet hands that are nicked from fish and hooks makes my hands a mess.

That's all I can think of beyond the usual.

One more thing - an extra day of food in case the plane can't get in due to weather.

Also, as per the above post highly recommend Sea Foam!

-Paper plates and bowls. Who wants to wash dishes when you're on vacation? Burn them when you're done.

-A giant sponge (Canadian Tire sells them) Invaluable for sopping up water in the boat and cleaning the crap on the floor.

-If I'm cooking a lot of fish, especially deep frying, I always bring a collander with a tight hole pattern. Once the oil has cooled strain it back into the jug using a funnel. It can be reused.

Single Malt Scotch. Or it that is too much -> 40 Creek :whistling: .

Seriously - might want some safety gear too, in case of breakdown. Things like:

Waterproof Matches

Glow Sticks

Whistle

Thermal Blank (they make some really small ones)

A good Knife

Spare fishing line

I wrote this article for my website because I also never seen a comprehensive list of things to bring on a fly-in outpost trip. It might have some useful tips for you. I try to keep updating it as I come across new ideas and suggestions.

Some of the things listed may not make sense or even seem unnecessary. However, once you're at camp and can't find the BBQ spatula or your can opener is a total piece of junk, you'll be shaking your head wishing you'd brought them!

Have a good trip!

Edited by FishLogic

Excellent article! This should be a "must save" for anyone doing fly ins or in fact anyone out for a few days or more whether it's a fly in or not. Also, thank you for the acknowledgement at the end. Much appreciated.

I figured Adam would chime in with his excellent piece.

Another thing that just popped to mind, a bulk pack of baby wipes are worth their weight in gold, especially at a camp with no running water.

Also very handy for lower end maintenance, a common problem when eating lots of red meat and fried foods. :)

I wrote this article for my website because I also never seen a comprehensive list of things to bring on a fly-in outpost trip. It might have some useful tips for you. I try to keep updating it as I come across new ideas and suggestions.

Some of the things listed may not make sense or even seem unnecessary. However, once you're at camp and can't find the BBQ spatula or your can opener is a total piece of junk, you'll be shaking your head wishing you'd brought them!

Have a good trip!

Wow that is a lot of information thank you. Also thanks again for the Map of the lake. I have it laminated and am going to leave it at the cabin for future use

I figured Adam would chime in with his excellent piece.

Another thing that just popped to mind, a bulk pack of baby wipes are worth their weight in gold, especially at a camp with no running water.

Also very handy for lower end maintenance, a common problem when eating lots of red meat and fried foods. :)

. .Thanks for the tips Mike... I believe those were already on the list.

Excellent article! This should be a "must save" for anyone doing fly ins or in fact anyone out for a few days or more whether it's a fly in or not. Also, thank you for the acknowledgement at the end. Much appreciated.

Thanks! Much of my information comes from the various fishing forums such as this one. They have been a great help to me on many levels.

By the time you finish reading "this article" you will have missed the plane!

Lol. No doubt. What can I say? I like to make things as comprehensive as I can.

Edited by FishLogic

About the only thing I would add to the above is a little set of tiny screwdrivers for on-the-spot repairs to reels, sunglasses, and all sorts of other stuff. Amazing how often they come in handy.

And though it's been said, don't forget the duct tape. Greatest stuff ever.

I have not been on many fly ins but have been on my fair share of backwoods adventures . Good list and I cant really add anything new

but can definitely say that baby wipes and duct tape are always on the list . As well no matter what time of year I will always have bug

spray . I have seen bugs as bad in September as in May so you never know ! I will also take a boat motor kit with me that has various things

in it that if anything basic breaks down , it can be fixed . Been on a couple trips where the outboard has broken down in the middle of

no where with no way to fix it . Never again !!! Several lighters or waterproof matches too .

these have been mentioned, but I think they are critical

baby wipes (outhouse), alcohol based hand wash, a water filter pump so you don't need to bring in bottled water, Tang and Gatorade crystals to add flavour

2-way radios (walkie talkies), LED headlights, long needle nose and spreaders, earplugs (snoring sucks!), bow saw

With the number of wannabe comedians on this board, I'm surprised nobody has yet suggested 'aircraft'. :P

or, lots of $

portable depth finder...I even take a 2nd as backup and, fresh batteries.

Edited by wall i

Fantastic article FishLogic. I know how much work went into that, good job.

Something I haven't heard mentioned here is a weapon. A common item below the border on all remote trips. It was a bit un nerving the first time I saw a cousin with a 357 holstered to his belt on a trip in the Smokey Mountains in Georgia many, many years back. We have a different social attitude here about what is needed for protection in the wilderness. Weapons are common for remote hunting trips. I need protection from wildlife when fishing as well. I brought Bear spray the last fly-in I was involved with.

guys with the seafoam suggestion...

ive seafoamed a car, never an outboard...where are you dumping the stuff?

my old 15 gunked up this weekend and left me stranded out on the lake this weekend. Weve taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it out. Where are you dumping it while its running?

That is one heck of a list Adam!! We always bring a tarp big enough to use as an awning at the front of the cabin. Provides shade from the sun and protection from the rain. Eye screws and zip ties to secure to the cabin and rope to tie of to the trees. A rod tube for center support for height and rain run off. Have only had to do this a couple of times but well worth it. Rope is much lighter that bungee cords as well.