Ram 1500 Diesel - 1st Tow (NF)

hutch4113

The diesel thread I opened earlier seemed really hot, so thought I would post my first low tow experience.

Just got back from the Cottage - was really looking forward to this trip, as it would be the first long tow with the Diesel (well - long for me anyway).

Trip was 530KM - round trip. Average speeds of 110KM to 90KM. 1/2 the trip on twisty, hilly (and sometimes very hilly) terrain.

Estimate I was probably close to 5000 pounds all said and done, with the boat, plus all the stuff in the bed/cab. I do have to stress this is an estimate, and might be on the highside - I know the boat is about 2200 pounds dry (which I assume is no motor) - it was fully gassed before we started the journey. I guess one day I will have to get it weighed fully loaded so I know for sure.

Normally with the previous tow vehicle (Veracruz - V6 AWD) I could expect to fill up twice - going up, and then coming back. With the Truck, I am still at just under 1/2 a tank, which is nice.

Ran in Tow/Haul mode there an back. Also used Cruise Control, which I don't normally do when towing, unless the terrain is flat.

Average is showing 11.8 L/KM or about 24 MPG. Overall very happy with how it performed. Never really noticed the trailer - Truck had plenty of power. Even on some of the steep hills - it just pulled and pulled with out a lot of fuss.

That's impressive, I can see myself being interested in one of these in a couple years from now once I'm finished my trade license and can make enough for a new car, house and toys haha. If not this, by then I would hope more mid size trucks would have a diesel option by then, fingers crossed haha

Wow. That fuel economy is pretty impressive.

On my recent trip from London to near Sturgeon Falls I would say I averaged approximately 14.5 - 15 L/100 km. I was towing a Tracker Proguide V16 WT which I would estimate the weight including the crap I added to be approx 2300 - 2400 lbs. I towed it with a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 litre TURBO. I thought that was a little high, but I have nothing to go on for previous experience. The car gets about 8 L/100 km when not towing. It's all those bloody hills that kill my mileage.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I purchased a Ram 2500HD with a Cummins diesel this spring. Never thought I'd be in a Ram when i started my research, but, Ram has come a long way. I love mine. It's the first vehicle I ever purchased where I couldn't find a single defect or minor blemish anywhere and I haven't had a single quality issue in the first 3 months of ownership. Taking our first trip in a couple weeks and I can't wait to hit the road. Congrats on your truck, Your mileage is awesome. I'll be pulling a pretty heavy rig, a 1900 Pro-v and 200 Verado, loaded with 2 weeks of vacation supplies. I'll be very happy with 15 mpg, and I think I'll get that no problem based on local towing trips.

That is impressive. It is a real world report, 630km round trip. Hmmmmmmm......

Nope - 530KM. But I ran the tank down so I could fill up just for the trip. Went to the station first - and then picked up my boat which is about .5 KM away.

I purchased a Ram 2500HD with a Cummins diesel this spring. Never thought I'd be in a Ram when i started my research, but, Ram has come a long way. I love mine. It's the first vehicle I ever purchased where I couldn't find a single defect or minor blemish anywhere and I haven't had a single quality issue in the first 3 months of ownership. Taking our first trip in a couple weeks and I can't wait to hit the road. Congrats on your truck, Your mileage is awesome. I'll be pulling a pretty heavy rig, a 1900 Pro-v and 200 Verado, loaded with 2 weeks of vacation supplies. I'll be very happy with 15 mpg, and I think I'll get that no problem based on local towing trips.

Almost croaked when you said 15mpg, but that has to be US gallons. I can get 18+ pulling a 20 foot travel trailer, mind you I don't drive like a madman.

Wow, impressive. My 2012 5.7 Ram Sport is a consistent 19.8-20.1 L/100 towing the boat and that's obnoxious. I wouldn't have bought it knowing that. Curious to see our fuel eco this weekend; 3000 km round trip with JJCanoe's 2012 Ram towing my boat. The only difference between his and mine cab/bed size but we'll have 4 guys and gear for a week. If we get better eco in his, I'm setting mine on fire!!!

That is gross slowpoke. How big is your boat? Last time I was at chrysler dealer they said they were looking for\paying a premium (whatever that means) for late model rams along with gcs for trade. Might be something to look at as long it makes sense economically.

Wow, impressive. My 2012 5.7 Ram Sport is a consistent 19.8-20.1 L/100 towing the boat and that's obnoxious. I wouldn't have bought it knowing that. Curious to see our fuel eco this weekend; 3000 km round trip with JJCanoe's 2012 Ram towing my boat. The only difference between his and mine cab/bed size but we'll have 4 guys and gear for a week. If we get better eco in his, I'm setting mine on fire!!!

Ya. I looked at the Hemi and it was tempting. But the more research I did took me away from it - it is fine in regular driving, and actually can get some impressive numbers due to cylinder deactivation, etc. But towing - not so much.