Trip to Abamasagi - 1200 Miles North of Philly to Chase Walleye and Pike

mattyk

A few weeks ago I noticed a topic that a group of guys were looking for one person to join them on a trip to Abamasagi lake. I decided to take them up on the offer as the price was excellent and I had just received good news that I received promotion and tenure at work. My wife encouraged me to go and gave me the the ok. With three kids I don't get very many opportunities like this to fish for a full week. So I headed north to my parents place and up in Newmarket. The guys picked me up at Hwy 400 & Hwy 9 Friday at 1:00am and we were on our way to Nakina. We made it to O'Sullivan Lake Outfitters by around 4:00pm. We were boated in to the camp which was a cool experience. During the the trip we had a few days with cooler temps, but in general the weather was nice. We had to put up with a lot of wind during the week. We caught a lot of fish. Our group ended up with over 1000 fish, I think the number was about 1044. I caught a lot of fish. My biggest pike were 36" and 34" all caught trolling big crankbaits deep and my biggest walleye was 23.5" which hit a 9" musky crankbait. I had some really cool fishing experiences on this trip. This one morning I caught a small walleye and I had a pike attack it. I was able to land both fish, which was a pretty exciting. I had another similar experience when I caught a small pike at the dock and had a bigger pike attack it and held on to it. I was able to bring in both fish in and I shook the bigger fish off from the smaller one. This one evening I was able to catch 26 walleye in one hour casting a 3" mister twister jig and it was so much fun. My fingers were hurting from all the cuts from the fish. On the last day it was really windy and we came back early. I fished off the dock and I caught 14 walleye and pike in an hour which I couldn't believe. The lake was beautiful and we saw a lot of wildlife. On the trip we saw bears, moose, bald eagles, otters, beavers, ground hogs, pelicans, arctic terns, king fishers, boreal chickadees, and several different species of ducks. There was a lot of mosquitos that were annoying but if you sprayed they left you alone. I also got a ride on a float plane which was a first for me and a great experience. The guys let me sit up front and the view was spectacular. I had a great time on this trip and the group of guys were great and really fun to fish with and hang out with! Thanks to Mike (Solo Paddler) for the fishing tips and other information which were very helpful.

Getting ready to boat in.

med_gallery_396_700_302663.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_63138.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_45298.jpg

Spinner bait walleye off the dock in the morning

med_gallery_396_700_269916.jpg

Pike that attacked my walleye

med_gallery_396_700_543462.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_519164.jpg

One of the 26 fish in an hour.

med_gallery_396_700_21403.jpg

One of fourteen fish from the dock.

med_gallery_396_700_551858.jpg

Big pike with little pike in its mouth.

med_gallery_396_700_182733.jpg

Beautiful scenery

med_gallery_396_700_716702.jpg

Lake in the morning

med_gallery_396_700_250802.jpg

Back lakes

med_gallery_396_700_149356.jpg

Mr Otter coming to investigate us.

med_gallery_396_700_285619.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_4441.jpg

The bald eagle was swimming and heading back to shore.

med_gallery_396_700_256653.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_860493.jpg

med_gallery_396_700_223956.jpg

Edited by Mattk