Shark in Lake Ontario???

John Bacon

That is what the story says.

Does anybody recognize the scenery? I have no way of know where the video was shot. The frame seems too narrow; kind of like they were trying to prevent anyone from recognizing the location.

http://www.variety104.com/2014/07/14/real-or-fake-shark-in-lake-ontario/

Edited by JohnBacon

C'mon boys......Atlantic

Truly I thought cat as well

But some may know of the story where a great white swam up a river in New Jersey in the early 1900's and lived there in fresh water for a while----and killing more than a few swimmers...some children

That is what the story says.

Does anybody recognize the scenery? I have no way of know where the video was shot. The frame seems too narrow; kind of like they were trying to prevent anyone from recognizing the location.

http://www.variety104.com/2014/07/14/real-or-fake-shark-in-lake-ontario/

Seems like any video shot with an iphone....regarding the narrow frame anyways.

Not saing this is real, but if the above post is correct and there are reported bull sharks in the St lawrance, then i dont see why there couldn't be any in Lake O.

I saw this video a week ago and it claimed to be shot in the kingston area....

Just watched it again, and I can't tell if the snout is pointed or not. The shape of the fin and the ridge behind it seems more like some species of cetacean. The closest occurring whale to Lake Ontario would probably be the beluga, but they don't have a dorsal fin.

Doesn't look anything like a catfish to me. The slowed-down footage, as poor as it is, looks like a bull shark, and it's possible because they can survive in fresh water. But like Dave Bailey said, the ridge behind the dorsal seems more whale-like.

So now I'm confused...

You guys can laugh if you want, but while duck hunting lake ontario last winter, I swear we watched whales breeching the surface many miles offshore. I've seen whales many, many times, and what we saw sure looked to be whales. You could see the spray with naked eyes, but thru binoculars, you could see the whole animal coming out of the surface, with a puff of spray each time they breeched. Craziest thing I ever saw, and there were 5 of us who witnessed this.

S.

You guys can laugh if you want, but while duck hunting lake ontario last winter, I swear we watched whales breeching the surface many miles offshore. I've seen whales many, many times, and what we saw sure looked to be whales. You could see the spray with naked eyes, but thru binoculars, you could see the whole animal coming out of the surface, with a puff of spray each time they breeched. Craziest thing I ever saw, and there were 5 of us who witnessed this.

S.

From the National Post:

"But a marine biologist at the University of Guelph, who specializes in sharks in fresh water and watched the video Wednesday, said he believed it was actually a harbour porpoise — the dolphin’s smaller cousin."