My wife and I went today for the opener and were probably 2000 people back but got in within 20 minutes. The place was fully stocked and there were some decent deals and some real quality products. The store is more geared to the hunting community than the fishing and boating community.

I visited the Michigan location and was far more impressed than I was with this location as far as the static displays and size of the building goes. It is worth a visit and closer for many OFC members than going all the way to Bass Pro.

Went in yesterday. It was busy, but nothing to extreme. I am disappointed in the fishing section however. Not as big as I expected - and nothing really unique. I was hoping they would carry big plastics, but seemed to be limited to 4 inch sizes.

I will use them, it looks like i will mostly shop online, and ship it to the store.

I was speaking with one of the staff before I left however - he did advise they still had not received all there stuff - another truck was supposed to be coming with other items - will see....

Made it for the opening...it was a zoo. The only thing worse than the crowd to going was Mapleview. Getting in and out was a nightmare

Ended up getting the Advanced Angler bag I've been eying for a year now

Did they bring out the yum tubes they were to have on sale? I found 1 pkg Wednesday. :dunno:

YUPPPPPPPPY

They did. $2.45 a pkg is a steal :good:

Still a packed mad house though. it,s nice that I can be in out and be gone in minutes. :D

There were a couple of anglers there signing . Their names were Leo and Ron. :dunno:

Edited by Misfish

They just opened a brand new Cabelas down here by where I work (Delaware, US). Its fairly small by Cabelas standards, but it seems to be fairly well stocked.

I also find that their prices seem a bit high. They do however have a big clearance wall filled with fantastic deals on lures. Their musky selection was terrible though.

I also find that their fishing section is so stinking big, that its hard to find what I'm looking for.

The Muskie selection may be due to the area market? There is really not much of a point in stocking items in local area stores where the market is small?

I have been to WalMart stores near lakes known for their muskie fishing and found muskie tackle ( limited) , the one by me might carry Power Pro braid, just not a big demand for it in my area. Walmart like the Big Box outdoors stores can offer a larger selection on line than they can possibly carry in a small local area store.

They didn't build that Cabela's too close to the BPS store? Market realities? We would probably all like to have the biggest bestist tackle store right next door? They probably understand better that the market might not support it?

Pricing? I always found the price of just about everything in Ontario to be a lot higher than here. Either transportation costs or purchasing power? Meaning no disrespect, but it is what it is.

I don't think there were any grand opening specials... Expect similar prices to what you see down at the BPS in Vaughan. People expecting US prices don't quite understand how things work.

Some one who gets it.

Like OhioFisherman things cost more in Ontario

A few years back here locally we had a Gander Mountian and the manager was a fisherman, great selection and decent prices. He even gave me a geat deal on my first musky rod/reel combo that he put together out of stock. A Dicks moved in right across the street which I thought would be a good thing for competitive pricing which didn't happen. The original store manager at Gander Mountain left and the new person that has taken over moved the fishing section and cut in about half, besides some odds and ends I don't buy much from them and the store is less than 5 minutes from my house.

Its not unlike when Target came. People unrealistically expect the same prices/experience as when they shop in the US.

I visited the Cabelas Dundee store last fall. I thought the prices were high there too. Nice selection, big hunting section, good restaurant but not many deals in the main store. Most of the stuff I bought was clearance priced in the Bargain Cave.

I went, and while it is not a US Cabelas, they did have lots of the Cabelas brand products, and items that you could previously only get by ordering. My opinion is its a winner! Not quite the same as the full experience, but a pretty good sampling of the good stuff! I'm glad to have them, even though its a long drive. Picked up a couple of good bargain cave items, and a couple of regular priced ones as well. I will definately stop in again when I'm fishing in the area!

Stopped by today to check the place out, it was a zoo but that was to be expected on a Sunday.

Though it was busy it was always easy to find an associate for price checks etc . Was able to spend a few moments in the gun room ( solo with two kids under five ) and it was refreshing to see the staff actually had some shotgun knowledge and gun dog know how.

Kids were spoiled rotten with free swag and loved the kids sections.

The thing that impressed me most was when we picked a new dog bed with no price on it, inquired about it with staff and were given a price of 39.99. Got to the front to check out and the bed came up as 79.99.

Cashier called the manager over, a quick on line search revealed the bed was in fact 79.99.

The manager honoured the price quoted to me without me even asking. Impressive .

I look forward to hitting the place once the crowds fizzle out, and hope the service stays the same.

We stopped by yesterday around 8:00 on our way through Barrie coming from up north. It looked like they had a pretty good supply of hunting gear and firearms. As mentioned, the pricing is what you'd expect at a big box retail store. I didn't venture through the fishing stuff but it did seem like a smaller area when compared to the hunting stuff. It looked like they sold handguns as well, which is something I believe Bass Pro doesn't (a Toronto by-law I believe). It seemed to be laid out a little better than the BPS store in Vaughan as well. I really do like the idea of being able to ship to store, it's a bit of a drive for me but we go up the 400 often enough that I could pick something up on the way through if planned enough in advance. When we got there the parking lot was pretty quiet but I could see it being difficult to navigate with a boat or camper hooked to the back of the truck and lots of traffic in the lot. Overall, I'll go back, even if it is just to browse around and kill some time.

It was not what I was expecting, went later last Sunday. I bought some fudge, it was good. Pralines was my favourite. Tried to find a silver minnow as I had lost one catching catfish on our holiday further north. I couldn't find one. I was disappointed.

Seems many are not happy with the fishing dept. I did talk to one person asking them if they knew what fish were targeted in the area. His reply was not really. OOPS

I had mentioned that there are many who rig for salmon and trout on GB and lakers on Simcoe. This area ,your store is very under stocked.

You do have lots of baits for walleye and bass and Musky,but as for pan fish,I see you have missed the mark as well.

Like Kicking Frog said during our visit,,they will figure it out.

The local tackle store carries what the locals want here,and his pricing is at par or better.. BONUS

I find the fishing dept is a carry over of what the state side would use.

This is JMO.

As far as the hunting section goes. They nailed it.

Dropped by today on the way home from Midland.

Overall not impressed, just kind of wandered around, not too keen on the layout. Prices....ouch lol...

The worst part is the actual store location. The far back of the complex? And when you leave to get on the 400 Southbound..... 3 or 4 cars make the left per green signal? Brutal.

Can't see myself wasting the time to visit again unless I want to pick up an advertised sale item or something....

Burt :)