Well I expected a zoo full of people but that's not part of the overall first impression. Looked like a lot of people were browsing and price checking. I hope the store does price matching 'cause right off the bat there were several items I found cheaper even with the employee discount. One particular fellow in the fishing department might want to learn the art of customer service and attention rather than babble about his personal musky fishing expeditions. He wouldn't give me the 10 seconds for a price check on a new Lowrance 5HDI. The one item I did take, a Kolpin ATV box model 93400 will be going back. Once out of the cardboard box, it's got to be the floppiest ATV storage box made. The cardboard box it came in was more rigid. Anyway, they do have all the basic fishing and hunting stuff, just watch the prices.

Hopefully their storefront is as good as their online stuff.

I have ordered from them online in the past many times and found their shipping to be prompt and their customer service to be excellent, esp when I have had to return stuff or file a warrantly claim (eg. on a broken cabelas travel rod ).

nothing but good things about the online experience with them

hopefully the actual store can measure up

Cabelas US is awesome. I don't know if they will be able to match their US experience here. If you've never been to an American cabelas, it is worth the visit. I am hoping the Barrie Cabelas was worth the wait. I'll find hit next weekend!

i would like to hope that if you find an item cheaper at your local shop, you purchase the item from your local shop, and not go to cabela's for a price match.

DUH, that's pretty much a given, but I'm comparing to the other big ones such as LeB, Sail, BPro, not Mom& Pop.

not a given anymore,

folks will drive 20 minutes to save four dollars...then go back to their local shops and complain about their pricing....THAN have the nerve to ask where the fish are biting....

many folks don't give the first crap about local shops....just saving a dollar.

nothing surprises me anymore...and I've seen this all FIRST HAND at my local shop.

Personally, I won't spend a single dime in BPS or Cabela's, unless the item couldn't be purchased anywhere else (such as the bps raingear).

Sail - yes. They are 100% Canadian.

Edited by Steve

This thread was about first impressions not about small tackle shops but since that oft opened can of worms has been re-opened yet again....if I can save a few bucks so be it, I have been unemployed for 16 months and it seems every government agency and store is digging deeper into my ever empting pockets.

Nobody seems to be running to me to and stuffing dollar bills into my pockets!!!

Well I expected a zoo full of people but that's not part of the overall first impression. Looked like a lot of people were browsing and price checking. I hope the store does price matching 'cause right off the bat there were several items I found cheaper even with the employee discount. One particular fellow in the fishing department might want to learn the art of customer service and attention rather than babble about his personal musky fishing expeditions. He wouldn't give me the 10 seconds for a price check on a new Lowrance 5HDI. The one item I did take, a Kolpin ATV box model 93400 will be going back. Once out of the cardboard box, it's got to be the floppiest ATV storage box made. The cardboard box it came in was more rigid. Anyway, they do have all the basic fishing and hunting stuff, just watch the prices.

I thought it was not opening until Thursday? Did you have a pass, or are they allowing everyone in?

I'm hearing that the fishing section is not the best and that is disappointing . I am going to try and get in there next week and see

for myself . Does anyone know if we will be able to order on line and have it shipped to the store in Barrie for pickup and avoid all

the costs of ordering online ?

They just opened a brand new Cabelas down here by where I work (Delaware, US). Its fairly small by Cabelas standards, but it seems to be fairly well stocked.

I also find that their prices seem a bit high. They do however have a big clearance wall filled with fantastic deals on lures. Their musky selection was terrible though.

I also find that their fishing section is so stinking big, that its hard to find what I'm looking for.

I'm sure they will have a few interesting items the other stores don't. It will be interesting to see it... I tend to buy most of my fishing stuff at one of the two tackle stores here in Hamilton but I love to browse through the big box places....

I have ordered from the US site and found most of the time since they build out west that, ordering from the US was still the cheaper option overall in many cases. I don't expect that to change just because they have a store in Barrie. The Canadian arm of Cabelas just seems to feel that we will pay more up here if you get it shipped IMO.

Of course now the exchange is higher so pricing up here will have to increase to compensate for that....

I am hoping to eventually get to the store though to check out the fit of their guide wear so I know what to order when the U.S. has their next half sale, since I was totally unimpressed by the pricing on it for their GRAND opening special..