New Ride (NF) - Ram 1500 Diesel

hutch4113

Was towing my boat with a smaller CUV, but never really liked how it handled it. Decided to get rid of my Car and jump into the Truck world. Since i have love Diesel - and Ram came out with one in the 1500, I was sold.

truck1.jpg

Now I just have to do some towing.....and of course fishing.....

Response to Leaf4 - for some reason the quote option did not work for me.

Have not done any towing on it as of yet, other than a short trip to pick up my boat out of storage - only drove it about 5 minutes.

But in terms of driving it - love it. Won't be as fast as the Hemi, but still pushes you back in your seat enough to make you grin. Super quiet - actually I would like to hear a bit more Diesel noise. I am averaging at the moment 11.6 l/KM (I think that is around 20 MPG) in mostly City driving. Guys who do more highway are reporting 28 to 30 MPG (not towing).

Backup camera is right in the tailgate - centered over the hitch, so makes that part nice backing into the trailer.

Edited by Tupelo

I see the diesel in this truck isn't a Cummins.

Makes sense in a 150, they would be too heavy.

The engine was developed in Italy and is now co-owned by General Motors, Fiat and Chrysler.
Hope they are as reliable as the Cummins.

The engine was developed in Italy and is now co-owned by General Motors, Fiat and Chrysler.

VM Motori makes the engine, as they did with the one in the Liberty. The GC in '07-'08 was Mercedes sourced if anyone is wondering.

The Mercedes connection was dissolved when they sold Dymilar-Chrysler over the diesel engine design. The Mercedes motor found in the Sprinter vans has issues and was then evolved exclusively to the blu tech engine for the only Sprinter now produced for/by Mercedes. Sadly the added technology did not make the engine as good as the inline 5 they used up till 2005. Fiat entered in as Mercedes left and then the final evolution of the Dodge motor was created. Either way you got a very nice truck and it should give you years of carefree service.

Art

Actually Fiat bought out GM - GM no longer has an ownership in VM Motori, who make the engine. This particular motor is 5th or 6th generation (been used in Europe for quite a while now). So far it looks to be good.

They are very nice trucks, and you are getting some real excellent mileage so far, especially considering that it doesn't even sound like it's fully broken in yet

Yes, that will be interesting. I only have 600KM's on it now. Figure I won't start seeing the real mileage until 2K or so. But even with it not broken in, it is right about where I calculated. I did the numbers comparing it to the Hemi, as I needed to verify when my break even would be (diesel is 2850 more than the Hemi - or something like that). I figured I would probably fill up every 1.5 weeks, and I am pretty much on target for that right now.

You won't be seeing the best mileage until it's broken in, more like 10-15k :) This is a diesel after all... The break in period is a lot longer then your typical gasser engine. Right now I'd worry more about proper break-in then mileage. No cruise or constant rpm driving if you can help it and drive it like you stole it.

You won't be seeing the best mileage until it's broken in, more like 10-15k :) This is a diesel after all... The break in period is a lot longer then your typical gasser engine. Right now I'd worry more about proper break-in then mileage. No cruise or constant rpm driving if you can help it and drive it like you stole it.

Yessir. On the way home (took backroads instead of highway) I was doing constant 3/4 throttle/release - after initial take off of course. May have gone over the speed limit.....a few times...... :ninja:

Yessir. On the way home (took backroads instead of highway) I was doing constant 3/4 throttle/release - after initial take off of course. May have gone over the speed limit.....a few times...... :ninja:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I gotta admit, I'm extremely jealous. Keep us up to date on the mileage once the odo creeps up there!

The Mercedes motor found in the Sprinter vans has issues and was then evolved exclusively to the blu tech engine for the only Sprinter now produced for/by Mercedes. Sadly the added technology did not make the engine as good as the inline 5 they used up till 2005.

Art

Which issues do you speak of Art? I have the MB 3.0 CRD in '08 my grand cherokee (same as the sprinter vans)

Raf they are having issues with the O2 sensors on the one mounted by the turbo chargers. They keep sending conflicting info causing sooting that cakes on the turbo and clogging down the line. Another contractor is running 3 of these engines and has replaced 4 O2 sensors and 1 turbo before 100 thousand miles. The EGR recycling valve also sticks and will soot up and put the vans into limp mode. The solutions so far is to run BnG diesel additive in the fuel. Before running this additive the back of his trucks would be sooted in 2 days and now it is just slightly discolored in 2 weeks.

Art