searching for a "new" old truck

pike slayer

I've had my gmc sonoma for the past 4-5 years and its been a decent truck but this past winter did a total beating on it. it needs a ton of body work now and the wheel bearings are ready to blow and will need a set of tires. It was at the point of not putting anymore money in it. So i sold it to a guy at work for $600 and hes turning it into a real bush buggy.

I'm now without a truck and am searching for another truck. I'm on the search for another truck under 10 grand. I live 5km on a rough gravel road where i have to have 4x4 and something that can take a beating.

I'm not brand loyal at all and i believe every brand has had their good and bad. what do you guys recommend? i was tossing the idea of getting something small again like a dodge dakota or a nissan frontier. I'm also tossing around the idea of getting something full size like a nissan titan or a f150.

my requirements are 4x4, atleast extended cab no regular cabs. under 200,000km under 10grand.
what the truck for me?

also im in sault ste. marie and am willing to travel to southern ontario to pick up a truck. If i buy a truck "as is" what all do i have to do to legally drive it back? i would like to do it on a weekend to avoid missing any days at work( i work mon-fri) Then take it to my trusted mechanic and have it certified.

Only answer from me would be F150.

To drive it back you would need proof of insurance as well as a safety slip to get a 10 day permit. Not to mention plates. If you are coming to southern ontario to buy, I would suggest buying a certified vehicle. Dealers can set you up with everything you would need to drive it out the door.

also im in sault ste. marie and am willing to travel to southern ontario to pick up a truck. If i buy a truck "as is" what all do i have to do to legally drive it back? i would like to do it on a weekend to avoid missing any days at work( i work mon-fri) Then take it to my trusted mechanic and have it certified.

If you're looking for a PU, seriously consider Edmonton market. More used PU's in Edmonton than in all of Ontario.

I would reccomend the dodge dakota's with the 4.7 l, especially the pre-2005 models. Lots of them out there still in great shape and super tough trucks.I am also selling my beastly 92 chev right now with lots of life left in er :)<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/north-bay/1992-gmc-k1500-make-me-an-offer/598368650?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true'>http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/north-bay/1992-gmc-k1500-make-me-an-offer/598368650?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true</a>

Great trucks, crappy frames, crappy mileage, bulletproof engines/trannies. That about sums up a Taco.

If I were looking for a 'old' new truck, it would be a Sierra 1500, 5.7/4.8 with the 4L60/65E.. Will run forever with minimal worries.

Edited by BillM

As "Fisherman" can attest, my mechanical savvy is rather (ahem) modest.

I have had excellent service from a series of Ford F-150s, last truck I bought was (is) an F-250 Super Duty Diesel, and I am delighted with it. If it is true that the F-150 is the biggest-selling model in Canada, there has to be lots of them out there in decent used condition. The Triton engines gave me pretty decent mileage and I never had any mechanical problems with them.

Doug

I love my first generation tundra. You can find some good deals on them occasionally, they don't seem to hold their value as well as the Tacos and in my opinion you end up with more truck in a similar sized package. Granted, they probably won't tow like a full size but they do alright. Mines a 2004, had it over 2 years and not a single problem.

I love my first generation tundra. You can find some good deals on them occasionally, they don't seem to hold their value as well as the Tacos and in my opinion you end up with more truck in a similar sized package. Granted, they probably won't tow like a full size but they do alright. Mines a 2004, had it over 2 years and not a single problem.

Head gaskets are a common problem on the 4.8.