Mosquitoes!!

Weeds

Horrible, horrible tonight... Went outside to water the gardens at 8.... Literally chased inside. Swarmed by the buggers. I had two citronella tikis going as well as a mosquito coil... Didn't do a damn thing..

Seriously considering one of those propane traps. This is almost unbearable.

G

Those patches work pretty good, you put them on a couple hours before heading out. The thing that works best is to avoid wearing black... When I wear light or tan colours they hardly ever bite but my buddy who loves his black hat & hoody gets swarmed.

Got back Saturday from ny annual trip to the Upper French. The mosquito's were as bad as I have ever seen them and that goes back to the 70's.

I am usually a stickler for closing the cabin door quickly. It got so bad that there were as many leaving as there were trying to get in. I even got bit while taking a shower. On the positive side, the black flies were not an issue this year and the UF was as beautiful as ever.

The skitters here will drive you out of your mind. During the day they are manageable but come 8pm you better be wearing full head to toe clothing with a ski mask. They are thick but I have yet to see a blackfly yet though. I use Watkins cream and it works ok, after 8 you are screwed. The only place I've seen them worse is up in the middle of the arctic.

Does anybody know if those propane jobbies work? I'm borderline desperate. I am being pestered by a skitter right freakin' now :wallbash:

I haven't tested this yet but heard it works as a mosquito repellant:

15 Drops of lavender oil

3 - 4 Tbsp of vanilla extract

1/4 cup of lemon juice

If anyone tries it, let me know if it works.

Tried one of those mosquito magnet things a couple of years ago. Had a lot of problems getting it to work but when we could get it to keep going we did get a lot of mosquitos (I would say we averaged between 1/4 and 1/2 cup every evening). We ended up having to take our unit back about 5 times for exchange and finally gave up and got our money back.

I ended up buying one of the fogger units and that really helped. I would fog the yard and surrounding bushes and we could sit/work outside for about three hours. Not too sure how good it is for the environment but we had to do something.

At the cottage (Pigeon) lots of big dragonflies hovering around grabbing lots of mosquitoes.

Love those guys.

Always remind me of Vietnam Hughey Helos.

Besides, who else can have sex while flying

Ya...they're part of the Yard High Club :whistling:

Seriously kids, the only way to really avoid getting eaten alive is by wearing a proper bug suit. Period.

People will smear all sorts of stuff over themselves trying to avoid bites, but nothing saves your hide like a lightweight mesh bug jacket. You can buy one for less than you would spend on Muskol and Afterbite over the course of a summer, it will last for years, and you simply won't get bit.

Every year I see guys trying some secret formula that someone told them about, or that they read about on the internet. And they get mauled. Just buy a suit and be done with it. Once you have a jacket, bugs no longer exist.

Seriously kids, the only way to really avoid getting eaten alive is by wearing a proper bug suit. Period.

People will smear all sorts of stuff over themselves trying to avoid bites, but nothing saves your hide like a lightweight mesh bug jacket. You can buy one for less than you would spend on Muskol and Afterbite over the course of a summer, it will last for years, and you simply won't get bit.

Every year I see guys trying some secret formula that someone told them about, or that they read about on the internet. And they get mauled. Just buy a suit and be done with it. Once you have a jacket, bugs no longer exist.

Well, I own a suit and still got bit through it. Guess I need a better suit?

I own this one:

320w.jpg

The secret to the bug suit is to keep the suit away from your skin the distance of a skeeters sucker. Loose cloths and a hat under the suit makes it more effective as well as a dose of deet on the top of the hat makes this skeeter hating comfortable up North.

Art

Years ago I read about B1 vitamin, my Dad and myself went to a relatives cottage where at dark the mosquitoes seem to line up in Roman phalanxes to attack. I still needed the DEET but 300mg in the morning and evening seemed to make a real difference. I also found that the B1 SEEMED to stop ticks from biting. There were lots of ticks along the creek and the one day I actually picked about (didn't start counting until about 20) 75 by my count off me.... still gives me the creeps, I now stay out of the tall grass no matter how good the pool looks! Not one bit, but my dad had stopped taking the B1 and had 3 ticks and all 3 had bit.

For the back yard we have a mosquito magnet, I just checked it after 3 days and the trap was half full... that's nuts! That is hundreds of mosquitoes!. I should have taken a pic yesterday and I just went and got it again, not many compared to the last bunch but it gives you the idea. It attracts alot of mosquitoes to the area so even going near the trap is like something out of a horror show.

MosquitoMag2.jpg

Edited by mosquito