The extra cost of fishing!

muskymatt

Buddy of mine lost his Steez Baitcaster+rod combo at Simcoe last year due to a casting mishap.

We spent over an hour trying to aimlessly snag it off the bottom with no luck.

Another buddy of mine replaced brakes of his car 1st time in his life the night before another steelie trip.

We found out the brake job was not done properly the hard way

- ended up running over his neighbor's fence across the street shortly after backing out from the driveway .... 2am in the morning.

Neighbor called police without finding out what the hell was going on ... everything was cool after spending the next hour with police & the neighbor.

None of passengers (3) (yes, full house) were in the mood to go fishing EXCEPT him.

He insisted on going ... got caught up at boarder and arrived the spot 3 hrs too late ...

However, it ended up the best fishing trip ever .. or most costly fishing trip for him.

It was 9K to fix up rear bumper & neighbor's fence.

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

Last summer was expensive for me, two pairs of + $200 sunglasses over the side, I now have a granny strap.

I took a guest out on my bass boat, hit the throttle, and his very nice camera went up and over the side. The camera was not the worst thing though, he had pics from a friends first steelheading trip on the camera. I felt pretty bad about that one.

He was lucky he didn't go over with the camera... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

One of our favorite sayings when we lose the 2 or 3 kernels of corn off our hair rigs while carp fishing is "The price of fishing just went up !"

One friend of ours forgot to set the "free spool" on his bait runner while carp fishing and sure enough a large carp pulled in his European rod and reel ($1500+)...while casting around trying to snag it one of the lads caught the line but the rod and reel was still caught up in the deep water...A call to the local scuba diving school and they sent one of their lady students over to retrieve it @ $150 per hour ...seeing as how all she had to do was follow the line, he was only charged half price...Phew!!!

Edited by Beans

My son's iphone 4S resides at the bottom of the Grand River.

I've broken rods and reels but have had them covered by warranty each time.

Also lost a seat from my boat on the highway, I was in the middle lane and two transport trucks passed me on the outside lanes - updraft opened the seat and sent it flying. I now bungee strap them closed.

My donations to the fishing gods include:

• 2 Cannon speed and temp probes c/w cannonballs in Lake Erie about 6 miles off of Port Glasgow both times (500 bucks per occurrence)
  • Handheld GPS on Cooks Bay 2 miles out of Gilford (how could it possibly find a 6" hole in the ice???)
  • One 10 colour Shimano leadcore rod & reel combo (the good one of course not the el-cheapo) 18 miles off of Port Burwell (some of my rookie guests clearly don't understand the rod holders have a lock for a reason).
  • A couple of offshore planer boards somehow just 'disappeared' while trolling even though the newbs insist the clip was locked down properly (abducted by aliens I guess??)
  • 15 lb Danforth Anchor, tossed over the side with no rope attached near Point Abino. No explanation, I did it and am not afraid to admit it.
  • Various sunglasses, ball caps, knives, tools etc etc
  • My dad went over the side twice trying to do god knows what. We reluctantly recovered him both times although if I had my Danforth anchor still, I may have tossed it to him for floatation.

We did try to donate a musky rod while trolling in Callander Bay with Danny Columby one time. We didn't see it go but luckily we had 13 feet of line out on a floating plug and were in 12 fow when it went over. We followed our track back on the GPS and the tail end of the plug was just breaking the surface with the line tight to the rod on the bottom. We recovered that one from the fishing gods....

If anybody finds any of my stuff, please return it.....

Edited by G.mech

Was out with a buddy and his 8 year old son for some perching; just West of Port Dover. The fishing was slow but the young guy never complained; but you could see he was board out of his head.

His Dad says well I guess it's time to head in Spencer. The kid got so excited that he pitched his rod over the side; put his vest back on and moved up to the seat beside his dad and never made a sound. We just sat there for a minute looking at each other and then broke out laughing.

The kid is 19 or 20 now and he still turns red when I ask him about the fishing rod that he lost.

Dan.

My son threw a rod sock overboard while perch fishing and quite a few Megabass Ito 110's have broken off on the casts. I am sure I have lost countless Crankbaits as well.

The one lucky one I have was a while pitching, the jig caught some grass laying on top of the water and pulled a Shimaon Core 100MGFV mounted on a Dobyns Champion Extreme 745 out of my hand.

I think the full cork grip gave me an extra second or two to grab it out of the water before it sank.

That could have been a very bad day...

Adam

I haven't lost anything too valuable just a pain to replace some of it.

1) Steelhead fishing off a dock in a marina I thought I would be clever and put my net in the hole of the post at the end of the dock.... I had put it together in the dark, I set it in the hole turned made my first cast after light, heard a faint splash. Yep I had missed putting the lock washer through the hole is the top part of the shaft so the bottom half went into the guck of a bottom like a hot knife through butter never to be seen again... Finished fishing that morning with a 3ft net that wouldn't reach the water, went 2 for 7 mainly because no one was around with another net for a few hours... DOH.

2) Left my 6ft minnnow net on top a parking barrier at Port Bruce one morning after fishing overnight onetime.... Got home and realized what I had done, so I called a few friends who were there that morning asked if anyone had picked it up. NO one I talked to had seen it, so I went replaced it, after a nap by driving an hour to the closest store that had them in stock, took it to the guy who welds them so they won't open and have the arms come out, all in a rush. So I could go back fishing later that week. I get there, start dipping for minnows and a buddy walks by and says, Oh I see your net back from a lady we fish with. I say no this is new, I just bought it and made it up the same as what I had before. He goes nice it looks the exact same, but she has the old one. She told me to tell you but I forgot until just now. Anyhow it took about a month to hook up with the gal who had my old net, but I got it back. ( I have a big red and white buoy on the rope so the rope will float if it comes off someone's wrist when they are using it, I have had to drag it back in 3 times so far, I guess telling people that the loop on the end is for their wrist doesn't sink it... That red and white buoy is how she knew it was my net though so it has more than paid for itself. LOL)

3) Steelheading with my dad on a pier, I was so happy for him as he finally has got one on after about 5 trips where I have done really well and he has just been a bystander... My happiness was sort lived though as I look over and the rings holding his reel have slipped and his reel is the river. I net the reel we get it back on the rod and start reeling fish was LONG GONE. Later that day the rod handle got caught under his coat and in it went with the reel AGAIN. Rescued it with the landing net. Next day went and got him a Michigan handled rod with a PROPER locking reel seat and no issues since.

4) Had a buddy lose EVERYTHING he was fishing for chrome with off the end of a pier, he had just cast put his rod in the holder he on the side a 5 gallon pail. He set the bail to tighten up his line and bang a coho took everything over the side in less than 10 seconds. The pail had all his tackle, baits and lunch in it. Rod was a fenwick his kids had given him years before. He went and got another rod and reel from CTC and about an hour later I caught the coho rod and reel but all his other gear was still gone... The culprit was 1.9 lbs and just over 18" long, but full of pee and vinegar for sure.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Went to Rice lake with a friend years back and was having a stellar day out on the water until I released this one Bass. As I watched it swim away I also noticed my wedding ring doing the slow wobble to the bottom of the lake. My wife and I had only been married roughly 6 months.

Probably 40 years ago my Dad and I, along with a group of friends were smelt fishing from the Whitby pier late at night & Dad tripped over a bollard in the darkness and fell into the drink. We pulled him out and he changed into dry clothes he had in the car and we continued fishing.

An hour or so later a stranger came along and said he'd seen Dad fall in and had just found a soaking wet wallet floating by and grabbed it with his net. He said he figured it was his and wanted to return it.

Dad offered him a reward but it was declined.

So something of value was lost on this trip, but because of the kindness of a stranger the night ended with a handshake and smiles all around.