How to get my Caravan ready for towing

Rizzo

A couple of months ago I asked here about the necessity of getting a "tow-package" installed on my Dodge Caravan to get it ready to tow. The consensus was 1) don't tow with Caravan and 2) if you have to tow then yes, do get the tow package. Anyways, I bought the van last year and it did not have the tow package. Called the Dodge dealer yesterday to get "tow package" installed and he didn't seem to have a clue what I meant by tow package. Apparently, they never install the tow package after the fact, they come that way from the factory when the vehicle is purchased new. I called a second dealer and got the same story. I know the tow package would include a tranny cooler (which I am told the Caravan already has) but what other things would I want to do to this dang thing to get it ready for towing? And what type of comapny would I call to install it? The dodge dealers only seemed prepared to do the receiver and wiring, not other things that might have been part of the "tow package"

All good advice. I think Glen meant do not pull on humid days but sometimes, you won't have a choice.

Other than the hitch and wiring, there isn't much more to have installed. Look to find a reputable place in your area to have the items installed and this would not be the dealership. They do not do enough of these to IMO be good at it. Finding a reputable truck accessory place that does 10-15 of these a week would be a better bet. I know of a a place down near ottawa so if you are in the area, send me a PM. I not, ask around and see where other people had theirs installed.

Adam.

I can't speak about the Caravan, but I have had 2 vehicles with tow packages installed from the factory. the diff between that and aftermarket were as follows

- trans cooler

- the transmission was set up via the computer that when you press the "tow/haul" button on the shifter it makes the trans shift a little more aggressively. meaning you will not get the smooth shift from gear to gear, it is more agressive so there is no delay getting into the next gear. I did notice the difference in the shifting pattern. I believe, but not %100 sure it eliminates the lock up torque convertor during over-drive.

- trailer brake control in the cab

- it also warns NOT to use cruise control while towing

Having said that, I tow a 17' 1/2ft aluminum boat. I just bought a truck and didn't get the tow package. The aluminum is so light the truck doesn't even know its there, and I don't have trailer brakes so that is just a waste.

Not sure about the weight of your boat, or the dimensions which come into play especially during windy days.

Check the weight against what the owners manual says the truck can haul.

Good luck, hope it all works out for ya!

Edited by dracokaos

I put 450K on a caravan and towed my boat, 2 kids, and 100lb dog all over the place every weekend. Never had a single issue with that van.

Drive in 3rd gear if its hilly. Other than that, just drive sensible, and you'll be fine.

I think the people who crap on the caravans are the ones who haven't had one.

S.

My Honda Pilot didn't come equipped from the factory with the tow package, but I installed it myself.

It consisted of trans cooler, power steering cooler, hitch and wiring.

Not a ton of stuff. You do have to make sure you change your tranny fluid more frequently though.

Failure to do so will result in shortened tranny life. Not a good thing when getting them rebuilt these days is generally a $3500-$4500 chunk of dough!! :w00t:

I had the dealer do my fluid when I was on vacation last month. Cost was about $225. Cheap peace of mind when you think about what a rebuild costs.

If you purchased your vehicle new no worries for a while but if you got it used I would get the fluid changed before towing if it has 50K or more on it.

Often the tow package includes a lower rear end drive ratio. Strange how guys fuss over the proper prop for their boat and don't give a thought to the axle ratio of their tow vehicle, basically the same thing :wallbash:

Rog. I take it the Caravan is for the family when traveling all together. As for being the wifes ride,you could try this,,,,,,say hun,I want to make you happy,happy then ever. I bought this 4dr Raptor for you. It will allow us all to travel together in comfort,and if I,I mean we,want to take the boat along,it,s not a problem.

I have no advice on this,just trying to help ya get something bigger badder and tow able.LOL

I had two Grand Caravans. Towed my 16' aluminum every year. Boat/motor.trailer was in the 1000-1200 pounds range with all my gear. Tow it NOT in overdrive. Tranny cooler is a must.

I also towed my ATV on a fairly heavy trailer with no problems either. IMHO, if your trailer setup requires brakes to be legal, it is too heavy to tow with a minivan.