Very frustrating,bad gas in my built in tank NF

davey buoy

Started the boat Sunday ran for 2 mins,sputtered after,took the fuel line off the carb,turned motor pumping white(water)

I did put in half bottle of stabil in tank in October.Added two bottles of gas line antifreeze last night to the tank.Not a sputter tonight. Took fuel line off at carb,looked clear with very little smell of gasoline.Checked secondary's at carb,spraying fine.

Added straight gas a few minutes ago through carb and fired right away.

Is there something else I can add to my tank(15 gallons I estimate)to make this gas gold again?Looks like trying to empty it would be a job.It's a built in 30 gallon tank below the floor boards.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This boat was wrapped so tight that when I removed the covers,not a bit of moisture inside.Don't get it unless condensation of the tank caused this?

Dave

Edited by davey buoy

Check the fill cap seal some of them are on a flat surface and if the seal is bad it can drain into the tank.

Art

It was completely wrapped Art.Any additive you know of that will help get this left over gas igniting?It was working 100% before it was wrapped.Obviously something happened in the last 7 mths?.Thanks.

Edited by davey buoy

No choice if it's coming out milky Dave... the one thing that makes built in tanks a real pain. Pop the line off the engine, put a syphon pump on it and start draining it into cans. If the boat is high enough you may be able to extend the fuel line and just get a syphon going and it will drain itself. You can then separate gas from water by simply using a 60 Oz booze bottle... and then pour the fuel into your vehicle as you go.

Issue becomes... how is your fuel tank positioned.. where is the outlet.. does the reserve position drain from a lower location.. all unknowns without pulling the floor up to look, otherwise you'll leave water behind.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks guys,if I could hook up a pump before the seperator,into that hose,I should be able to pump out as far as empty would be.It's almost wanting to run now,but not quite.Do not have a clue how this coud of happened.Wrapped completely and dry when I broke it open.

Wayne the gas in hose,vent fitting and hose,and fuel hookup hose all come from the top.Very close together I may add.

I do have a flow n go lol.Never used it .Wonder if I could mcgiver it to the hose that attaches to the seperater?,may be a idea?

Thanks everyone.

Well that sucks but it's got to go. I know with my built in tank when I've drained it, I just disconnect the fuel line from the engine. Then give the primer bulb a few pumps (acts as the siphon) and the fuel starts flowing. the tank is pretty much dry when the fuel stops flowing. I should also say that I don't have a connector to the engine, fuel line just gets clamped on. If you have a connector, remove it and you should be good to go.

Need to ask, was there ethanol in the fuel and was the tank filled before storage?

I hear these things contribute to water in fuel but I know there is controversy

No controversy Capt. I saw the effects first hand with my buddies 2 boats down in Florida this spring.

I ended up wrenching on both to get them running properly. Water in fuel and deteriorated fuel lines due to ethanol fuel were the culprits in both instances.

I am very lucky living in the far North as there is no ethanol in any of the fuel sold North of 60*

The easiest test is to place a few drops on a piece of plate glass and let it evaporate if it is just fuel then it should dry clear.

http://www.boatus.com/

This is a really good source of info on boats and boating issues. Take the legal info. with a grain of salt since it is US based and geared for our laws that differ to some extent on the water.

Art

The thing is I added stabil,a vey generous amount I may add based on 20 gallons.The carb is getting gas and the secondary's are spraying.This afternoon in the rain she fired and ran for a minute.Change of heart now.Added more fuel and antifreeze,checked the line to the seperator ,looking and smelling like gas now.Looking like now if this rain stops pouring, it might be alright?.Added 99% isopropyl alcohol and a fair bit of it.I know it's not a good idea,but I do have room to add a few gallons of gas if it stays running to dilute it.I would like to see a idle for 2 mins minimum without sputter.

What about the effect that water will have on the other components of the engine, head, valves, INJECTORS (if you have them), cylinder sleeves, just drain it and cut your losses. Sure it is a pain now, but will be an even bigger pain if you conk out in the middle of the lake. In a storm, with water on board, and your grandkids, kids and mother in law (well that's a bad example) or wife, or or or ME! :sarcasm::tease:

Also alcohol will not mix with oil as well as gas. Gas is a hydrocarbon, as is oil, alcohol is not.

Edited by HTHM

What about the effect that water will have on the other components of the engine, head, valves, INJECTORS (if you have them), cylinder sleeves, just drain it and cut your losses. Sure it is a pain now, but will be an even bigger pain if you conk out in the middle of the lake. In a storm, with water on board, and your grandkids, kids and mother in law (well that's a bad example) or wife, or or or ME! :sarcasm::tease:

Also alcohol will not mix with oil as well as gas. Gas is a hydrocarbon, as is oil, alcohol is not.

I was ready to drain it but you know that one last try,lol.she started,got to wet to continue with either or.Will try and drain when the rain stops sometime this week hopefully.

I'd blame this on ethanol in your fuel, storing without filling the tank, and not using seafoam.

Ethanol actually ATTRACTS water from the atmosphere.

My boat engine won't see ethanol if I can help it. Unless I'm far from home, I use nothing but ethanol free fuel in it.

S.

Say you went to the pump and selected super. If its one of those select a grade pump you will most likely get a bit of corn gas. Ethanol gas does not keep its octane long. Are you still using the red stabil? That stuff does not stop the damages due to ethanol. Ethanol damages lines, squeeze balls etc.. Get some blue stuff! Suck that stuff out of your tank....

I'd blame this on ethanol in your fuel, storing without filling the tank, and not using seafoam.

Ethanol actually ATTRACTS water from the atmosphere.

My boat engine won't see ethanol if I can help it. Unless I'm far from home, I use nothing but ethanol free fuel in it.

S.

I'm thinking that now Shane.Out almost every weekend on good runs,costs a fair bit with a 305.The extra 11 cents a litre for shell premium,I may want to rethink.Glad the Stabil kept the carb spraying.Gas was pumping well.Thanks.

If you run the alcohol in a high concentration you have changed the oil fuel mix as well as the octane. You need to drain it out not run it out.

Art

Not to worried Art,it's a 305 v8,just waiting to get it going and then will change the oil.Thanks.

For what may be damaged running that compromised fuel through the engine and components dump it all. Buddy put his 30 footer away 5 years ago with about $700.00 of gas at prices then. Decided to put her in this year. We took a sample to the refinery here in Nanticoke and as a public service they analyzed it. With a suggested amount of additive they said it was good to go. My opinion was any tar that settled on the bottom will eventually come free and make a mess of the fuel system, probably 20 miles from shore in a storm. Tough decision to dump 1000 bucks worth of fuel to flush the tank clean. Easy decision to dump 20 gallons and start fresh.

The reason there is that amount of water in it is a real mystery, are you 100% sure it's water?

For what may be damaged running that compromised fuel through the engine and components dump it all. Buddy put his 30 footer away 5 years ago with about $700.00 of gas at prices then. Decided to put her in this year. We took a sample to the refinery here in Nanticoke and as a public service they analyzed it. With a suggested amount of additive they said it was good to go. My opinion was any tar that settled on the bottom will eventually come free and make a mess of the fuel system, probably 20 miles from shore in a storm. Tough decision to dump 1000 bucks worth of fuel to flush the tank clean. Easy decision to dump 20 gallons and start fresh.

The reason there is that amount of water in it is a real mystery, are you 100% sure it's water?

It was white,very cloudy.No idea as it was wrapped tight all winter.First time in years this has happened.No smell of gas at all.I'm kinda leaning to the ethanal attracting condensation?.Must be ?