New to me boat, deep cycle battery help

Can_38

Decided to get rid of my small boston whaler and picked up a 2009 Legend Prosport sc. During the negotiating I had the dealer add a new minn kota power drive troller on the bow (45lb).

Since I have never owned or used a trolling motor my question to y'all is what size deep cycle? And recommendations on brand and where to buy?

Can't wait for the maiden voyage!

FWIW...I run a 55lb PD on my 16ft'er and run 2 31DC's for fishing. mind you, I do a lot of continuous trolling with mine. They'll run longer than I can fish unless its really windy.....if its that windy I dont go out.

S.

There was plenty of discussion on batteries here concerning the same thing last spring. You can search that thread(s) here on the site. What I did learn looking for 2 replacements for the 24 volt unit I have is that 1 manufacturer, something industries, and I'll be dammed if I can remember the company makes about 80% of all batteries. Then places like The Price Club, CTC, Wally World and Costco etc. slaps their brand on the things such as Kirkland, Die Hard and Nautilas for example. The difference between a $89.99 battery and a $149.99 battery is the number of times the battery can drain from 100% charge to 20% and still maintain a re charge. As the battery ages and discharges the less full charge time can be had.

Can't go wrong with Interstates, my personal favorite. As the saying goes you get what you pay for. Some may have sat on the shelf for a year, like selling milk, old stock to the front of shelf,that's not good.

And like Bill said running 2 in parallel is great if you have the room and the coin. And there is a difference between a car, RV and marine battery.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I used the search and found a dozen or so discusions using the key phrase " deep cell battery ".

Using "deep cycle battery" as the search criteria will get you a lot more.

Anyone looking for an Energizer battery at Walmart will have no luck at all as they re-branded them at least 5 years ago and they are now called "EverStart". The only people selling "Energizers" now are Sam's Club stateside.

If you're going with two grp 31DC batteries and want to connect them in parallel, make sure that your battery bay (hatch) will accept the size.

Just remember that grp31 is only the case size; inside that case is what's important. Check what the amp hour rating is and the reserve capacity; the higher those numbers the stronger/better the battery. If you don't remember what you're looking for numbers wise, pick the battery up; the heavier the better.

Dan.

Take a look at batterystuff.com They have a lot of valuable info which I am sure will help you decide which battery you would want/need. I purchased their battery minder model 12248. It is a charger, 2/4/8 amp settings, settings for different types of batteries such as AGM, flooded or gel, also a de sulphation process which will resurrect older, poorly maintained batteries. $140.00 for the charger at my door. Very good service from this company.