Lake Ontario newbie

Fishwilly

Hi gang,

I'm gonna be venturing onto the big "O" for the first time this summer. I'm hoping for salmon, trout, steelhead etc...

Boat will be set up with pair Scotty 1116 downriggers and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for rod/reels for trolling. I'm thinking of setting up four on the riggers stacked and maybe another two port and starboard with inline planers. Can I stick with the same rods reels across the board or...???

I don't want to break the bank but I usually buy quality stuff. Can't find much info on Rapala levelwind linecounter such as the Delta model at LeBarons. Anyone have any experience with this unit or should I stick with Shimano or Daiwa?

Cheers

Downrigger rods and dipsey rods are quite different. I have not heard good things about the Rapala linecounter reels, but their rods are OK.

Okuma Convector linecounter reels are probably the best bang for your buck at around $85

Okuma Coldwater linecounter reels are a bit nicer but also a bit more at around $130

Shimano Tekota linecounters are awesome but pricey at around $200

Shimano TDR rods are also a good deal for the money and perform well, think they are around $35

Shimano Talora rods are sweet but cost more at between $90 to $105

There are many other rods to choose from out there that are good performers and not that expensive including the Okuma line.

My setup for this year:

2 Talora rods paired with an Okuma Convector 30 and an Okuma Coldwater 30 for dipseys

2 Ugly Stik Tiger downrigger rods paired with Okuma Convector 30s (I also have a couple other downrigger rods if these prove to be too light of an action)

If you are going for a big purchase (ie 6 combos) I would go to LeBaron and buy the membership card for $35 - it will save you 10% on all purchases for a year and will pay for itself immediately with the savings. (ie $80 off a $800 purchase) LeBaron has some of the best prices out there on Convectors and many of the other items I have mentioned above.

Good luck with your search - and welcome to the big water club! It's a blast out there.

Pete

I suggest running only 4 rods to start, 2 riggers and 2 dipsies off to the side, until you get a lot of experience. Maybe add a 10 colour leadcore in the slot off the back next. I would also recommend the convector/talora combos to start.

50 lb braid will be ok with dipsies until the fleas start , but I'd say start with wire divers and be done with it.

I've kept the cost pretty low myself. Okuma Convector 30's, Okuma Classic Pro GLT Downrigger rods, and Shimano TDR's for inlines, a couple of the Rapala Dipsey rods. Rod and reel combos are about $150 with tax, might be a bit less. You'll need different rods for the riggers and different rods for the boards and different rods for the dipseys. Mind you after popping the tip eyes on the TDR's and adding a Twilly Tip they work pretty good for dipseys. I've heard of some guys having problems with the Rapala reels so I'd stay away. If you want to save a bit more money on the reels, try the Cabela's DepthMasterII reels. One of the charter guys I know was running them for fun and they held up well and has been running them for a few years now. I've picked up a couple to try myself this year.

I use flea flicker line on the riggers and wire on the dipseys do to the fleas - especially last year. Some guys are saying that a 30 pound mono will keep them off as well and is much cheaper.

Welcome to the big water!!

Edited by fishnsled

I find most of the fleas stay on the braid above the dipsy and doesn't make it down to the lure, I run 40lb braid on my dipsys and 17lb Trilene Big Game on the rigger rods.. I'd probably start out with 4 rods as well... I run convectors like fishnsled and cheap Rapala dipsy rod (Spend more $$$ on the reels, the rod doesn't make a huge difference, they are all pool cues).. As for rigger rods I have a set of old Fenwick custom fibreglass ones with are a blast paired with some Diawa Sealine 47Hs (Can't go wrong with these either)... It really doesn't have to be complicated out there.

When I was chartering on Lake O we would run 4 downriggers and a flatline down the center.

One of my buddies boats had outriggers and we would add dipseys off them.

All of our riggers were run with sliders in order to cover more water.

Depending on what you have for a boat, I would go 2 lines on riggers, 2 on dipseys and a flatline or lead core down the center.

I use them all summer with leadcore, catches bows, cohos and some nice kings

Absolutely. Add a torpedo or diver to get additional depth on sectioned core. Great stealth presentation.

For the OP, if you are looking to get some set ups, some great input above - there are quite a few boards for big water trolling that frequently have great deals on lightly used set ups.

Oh,and if your'e gonna stack and run dispeys your first year, bring scissors or a knife, lost of extra lines and terminal tackle and patience :), especially on weekends when the water is full of boats.

Wow lots of usefull info to digest. Re: planer boards... Can I run Dipsys on in line boards or is that too much pull? Also you guys are talking about running wire on the dipsy rods....so I need special rods for wire line? What about the reel , would the convector 30 be ok with wire line?

Ok this might be a stupid question but why do I need wire line for Dipsys. If I'm running inlines with Dipsys can I use mono or braid?

And if wire line is a must with inline planers , is it also the same if I'd be using planers with a mast?

Thanks for the patience lol

Ok this might be a stupid question but why do I need wire line for Dipsys. If I'm running inlines with Dipsys can I use mono or braid?

And if wire line is a must with inline planers , is it also the same if I'd be using planers with a mast?

I've never head of anyone using wire off of planers, I can't imagine that would work very well. Lots use lead core off of them though. You don't need to use wire off of dipseys. Braid works great, but lots of guys like wire as spiny water fleas don't stick to it. I use braid myself, but sometimes fleas are a pain. I have used mono dipseys before, and they are hard to trip when you have a lot of line out. I won't use them myself.

Wow lots of usefull info to digest. Re: planer boards... Can I run Dipsys on in line boards or is that too much pull? Also you guys are talking about running wire on the dipsy rods....so I need special

rods for wire line? What about the reel , would the convector 30 be ok with wire line?

I've heard of guys using the big Church boards (tx-44 http://www.churchtackle.com/Product%20Pages/Planer_Boards/TX-44_Super.html) but personally I have not. Put a dipsey on a #3 setting and let it go back 200-275ft, works great to widen the spread and no board to deal with. I haven't found the need to run a dipsey off a board yet and certainly too much pull on a regular board. I'll use the inlines for (regular size) for my leadcore and mono with snap weights. If you go with wire (I use the 19 strand torpedo line) you can get away with a regular trolling rod with a twilly tip. For running copper line I'd get a wire or roller rod. I run the convector 30's with 1000ft of wire. You need a bit of backing for (a bit of dacron on mine) for the wire to bite into.

For wire dipsey rods , just replace the tip top with a twilly spring top , there is roller guide rods but they are big bucks and not necessary. Put the whole 1000 feet of wire on the Convector 30 , it will fit.

Yep

Wire for dipseys just makes it easier to trip the dipsey and eliminates the flea problem. Braid works great as well but after dealing with the fleas last year I switched everything over to wire on my dipsey rods and added a twilly tip. Mono on a short lead is Ok but if you are running long leads it can be difficult to trip, even with the dipsey set light. Never run wire on a planer!! The slightest pinch or kink puts a weak spot in the wire and becomes easy for it to break there. Wire (7 and 19 strand) is strictly for dipseys and copper should be flat lined. At least that is my understanding of them.

I've never head of anyone using wire off of planers, I can't imagine that would work very well. Lots use lead core off of them though. You don't need to use wire off of dipseys. Braid works great, but lots of guys like wire as spiny water fleas don't stick to it. I use braid myself, but sometimes fleas are a pain. I have used mono dipseys before, and they are hard to trip when you have a lot of line out. I won't use them myself.

Porkpie has you covered as well

A four rod spread will keep you busy enough starting out. I would suggest buying all 4 reel with line counters. Based on seasonal techniques you will have times were you run boards and flat lines so the line counters are helpful

Run 1 run rod for each rigger and add a slider - 3ft section of 20-30lb mono with swivel on each end. To one swivel attach a spoon and then put the other snap around your main line. Throw the slider over board and the lure will travel down and sit for a while on the bow in the main line. I like smaller/lighter spoons on my sliders.

For your other 2 rods look at a diver set up. You'll need 2 extra rod holder that can take some strain as divers pull hard. Start with 30 lb mono and get used to the set up and then next step would be to go braid or wire. The braid and wire set ups are a littler harder on tackle. Get your self 2 in line planer boards like the offshore ones. In the summer I run this set up when the bows are around. 3 color section of lead core off the board to 50 ft on mono and a spoon or jointed plug. My diver rods can double as planer rods and I can switch them out if needed. I always have a set (or 2) of in line planers in the boat but run the divers pretty much all summer/fall. The planers do excel in the spring and fishing up high when out deep in the summer.

i should also add that for true newbies, it really is a great investment to book a guide or charter to learn "hands on". Or even better, hook up & make friends from OFC or Spoonpullers who live close to you.

It does go a long way to shorten the learning curve as well as having a small network of pals to share notes/info with.

I personally met a few guys nearly 10 yrs ago from here and we have fished ALOT together since and remain as great friends.

What kind of boat are you mounting the riggers on? That will also have an impact on what and when you can fish out there. You've got some great advice though. I still only run 4 rods...2 riggers, 2 divers, and sometimes a leadcore down the middle....that's all ya need to catch fish. Simple and effective. Now stock up on spoons, flashers and flies LOL

S.