More Bad News For Nipissing

Fish Farmer

Just ridiculous how local media has hopped on this ongoing story. Nipissing is such a strong fishery yet the 'dying fishery' myths persist. Incredible that the stakeholders are even considering limiting sport fishing options even further with zero scientific evidence to suggest it would help.

Yea cause it's not like the MNR samples the lake using calibrated methods and gear (Fall Walleye Index Netting, Near Shore Community Index Netting, and Broad-Scale Monitoring to name a few) and uses the results to extrapolate to how much of a population there is or anything. However, the rumour of the limit going to 1 is probably as legitimate as the the rumours about the MNR opening Cisco in Simcoe next year. Until the MNR suggests it in a public document don't hold your breath about it the limit going down to 1.

Funny, but I haven't seen a fish above the slot in years on that lake... oh, there are "plenty" of fish below the slot and the occasional fish just into the slot, but from my experience, nothing but small fish.

Once again, the anglers it appears will take the brunt to accommodate others. I would say that in my last 4 or 5 trips up, I have not taken home any fish as my two fish limit of 14inch fish simply isn't enough for a feed of one, much less a family of four.

But there are lots of fish still in Nip!

HH

What is the date on that article?

We have to be careful with how our individual experiences influence what we believe to be reality.

My average size has never been better on Nipissing and has been very good for the last 5-6 years. I won't keep fish over the slot so getting walleye for the last number of years for even one feed has been a challenge.

The question as to what state the lake is in currently is important, but it is even more important to know whether or not it is improving or declining. That can't be determined from a few fishing trips every year.

Once again, the anglers it appears will take the brunt to accommodate others.

HH

That's the important issue.

I don't imagine any changes will occur until there has more time to monitor the effects of the 2 fish limit, which will surely be negligible.

And there are lots of in, and over the slot fish in Nip.

Funny, but I haven't seen a fish above the slot in years on that lake... oh, there are "plenty" of fish below the slot and the occasional fish just into the slot, but from my experience, nothing but small fish.

Once again, the anglers it appears will take the brunt to accommodate others. I would say that in my last 4 or 5 trips up, I have not taken home any fish as my two fish limit of 14inch fish simply isn't enough for a feed of one, much less a family of four.

But there are lots of fish still in Nip!

HH

just got back from nipissing,we landed several 12-16 inch fish...but also one 25 inch beauty (released) and lost one even bigger at the hole....i would post a pic of the 25 incher if i knew how

The fishing was good this winter. We had no problem catching walleye on our trip and have heard that many others experienced success. Can't see why they would want to drop the limit again?

Don't know if our group will go back if the limit is dropped to 1 fish per guy.

FYI Shawn the writer, is the owner of Idle Tymes and Bear Creek Cottages on Nipissing.

A 15.7" Walleye, why would you even think of keeping 2 sausage Walleye, now 1 . Lets go Perch fishin for a feed :clapping:

At over $6.00 a gallon for gas, it almost makes one think staying closer to home.

I know our yearly trip was canceled going to Nip.

I feel for the people that rely on tourism.

I wonder if they should not have put all their eggs into one basket, if you will. Instead of heavily promoting Nip as a great walleye destination, they should also be promoting other species as well like pike and bass. I've never fished the main body of water but presume if the West Arm has them, the big lake should as well.

I fish for pike and bass primarily but won't turn my nose up if moon eyes are on the radar ;) Do walleye fishermen look down on other species ? Honest question.

-and imo, pike taste just as nice if not better than wallies :)

I had understood there was (is?) an unregulated commercial fishery on Lake Nipissing. It takes a lot of anglers to catch as many walleye as a mile of square hooks.

Stocking fish in hopes of building/rebuilding a viable sports fishery, when (IF?) there is an unregulated commercial operation, strikes me as trying to put out a house fire with a teacup.

And slashing a sports angler's limit to a single small fish sounds like serious HOGTOWN mentality.

My heart goes out to the people of that area who depend on the lake for their livelihoods, since it sure does not sound to me like the government of this province has any intention of helping them out. If indeed there is a commercial fishery (as I had understood to be the case), perhaps the government could compensate the commercial fishermen and remove the nets from the lake.

That's not how the regulations work though. Fisheries are split up as follows: Native personal/ceremonial, Native commercial, Commercial, then Recreational. Restrictions will be put on recreational fisheries before commercial fisheries almost always. It's a federal regulation under the Fisheries Act if I remember correctly. Plus the commercial fishery on Nipissing is Native, so good luck trying to get them to reduce their harvest when there is a recreational fishery going on for the same species.

Back to Garfisher.......

OK so it sounds like the commercial fishery is run by one or more First Nations. If it is in their economic best interest to surrender the commercial fishery for some valuable consideration (defined however), then perhaps a good faith negotiation could find some common ground to "buy out" the commercial "licence" and allow the tourist potential of the area to rebound. I think that personal consumption/ceremonial/etc use by the First Nation(s) involved would not be a significant factor, and should continue. So maybe the outfitters and other tourist-dependent businesses, in conjunction with the government of Ontario, could find an agreement that would see the commercial fishery cease or decrease significantly. Everybody wins, if the First Nation(s) involved are willing to accept (for example) job training for young folks and compensation for lost fishing income in return for hanging up their nets.

Just a thought, and no, I do not wear rose-coloured glasses. There is ALWAYS a solution to a disagreement if both/all sides are willing to bargain in good faith. This sure looks like a place where a good faith discussion might be useful.

Doug

Wooden Boater, there is an outstanding bass fishery on Nipissing. Both SM and LM. Pike and Muskie are regular targets of many summer anglers and the Perch population is booming.

Shawn Degagne (writer) and the LNSA are spreading the "doom and gloom" in hopes of getting their restocking approved. I am 100% in favour of restocking the lake. Even with minimal success it still adds some fish to the system. As long as it is not costing the anglers, or outfitters.

Finaly I have heard that they are considering other regulations changes that include increasing the slot size bottom measurement from 15.75" to 16.75" and keeping the top end the same at 23 & 5/8". They may also modify the pike slot size and limits and open Bass season for longer. This is all considerations and I believe there wil be no significant changes in the next set of Regs.

Here is an article from the Nugget today. I am in the fur hat and black/grey jacket to the left.

http://www.nugget.ca/2014/03/09/new-mnr-plan-terrifies-operators Edited by Nipfisher

akaShag I'm all for that idea. It would be great to create a partnership where commercial harvest is reduced or eliminated while efforts are made to boost populations of walleye in Nipissing. However, considering the first nations are entitled to harvest fish commerically as long as the populations aren't in serious trouble (i.e. the walleye are dangerously close to becoming extirpated/population crashing), I think they would be as opposed to reducing their harvest significantly as anglers would be opposed to further reducing the daily creel limit.

Well, if there is money in the pot to buy out the operations that would enable the Fist Nation(s) to turn to a different profitable enterprise (s), which does provide work for their youth, they there might well be a path to a greatly reduced commercial harvest. Anyways, in my view that would be the most likely option to succeed in restoring Nipissing's walleye stocks..............not knowing what OTHER significant factors might well be in play such as invasive species. But if there is a large commercial catch of walleye, then it is feasible to turn some or part or possibly even all of that into fish that are available for sports anglers.

Doug

Those newspaper articles are terrible and way too censored. I'm really confused about this whole situation, but as the article fails to mention, the Natives play a HUGE role in this mess of a story. Isn't the Nugget owned by the Sun, since when are they worried about being a bit political?

I wonder if they should not have put all their eggs into one basket, if you will. Instead of heavily promoting Nip as a great walleye destination, they should also be promoting other species as well like pike and bass. I've never fished the main body of water but presume if the West Arm has them, the big lake should as well.

I fish for pike and bass primarily but won't turn my nose up if moon eyes are on the radar ;) Do walleye fishermen look down on other species ? Honest question.

-and imo, pike taste just as nice if not better than wallies :)

I won't attempt to speak for other walleye fishermen, but think of it this way. You are a walleye fisherman, you get maybe two-three weeks of vacation/year. Are you going to a lake where opportunity for walleye may be limited or are you going to a place where catching walleye, including trophy walleye is very close to a given? Many fishermen decide the latter choice suits them best. It's not a matter of being a snob, it's a matter of what and how one likes to fish, and of course there are other factors to weigh such as increased fuel costs, and increased demands on personal time. As for your preference for pike, I would agree that fresh pike is very good. I would say most folks wouldn't know the difference. I do not care for it once frozen.

Edited by doubleheader

AS long as there is an unregulated comercial fishery there is no help for the lake.

Just take the size and catch limits off of walleye and be done with it.

There is no way that the recreational fishery is hurting the population compared to the comercial.

When the comercial guys want to set realistic regulations, then set regulations for the recreational guys.

IF the lodges start closing the natives still get to suffer consequences. Pink slips all around for lodge employees, including natives. Fewer tourists in the region mean fewer people buying native caught walleye, native made goods, souvenirs, etc....