The MNR stopped by my hut yesterday, some interesting things about that

chris.brock

There was a derby for the Legion in Coboconk on my lake yesterday. The COs decided to show up, knowing there would be lots of people to check. Pretty crappy in my opinion, next year when the turn out for the derby goes down, the Legion can thank the MNR.

some interesting things-

-they appear as normal snowmobilers, heading down the lake, then come blasting up, to catch you by surprise, each CO talking to each hut, to see if the stories jive

-there was 2 COs and a dog handler K9 unit, he said the dog is trained to sniff for 13 things, one of them being slot fish hidden in snow banks, when the dog approached me, I tried to greet it, the handler yelled "DON'T PAT HIM!", I guess he's on the job

-we had beer and empties from previous outings, they didn't even acknowledge this, I guess they can't lay charges?

-we were fine, no problems, they leave, I grab my cell to let everyone know to watch out, a neighbor is fishing in his hut close to an island, the MNR parks behind the island, out of sight, and creeps through the bush, I'm assuming with binoculars, to secretly watch

a guy I was talking to at the Legion said he was charged by the same CO for $9800, a duck hunting incident, ouch!

Sneaky they are! I had 3 CO's watch me ALL day once on lake joseph. We fished morning until night, and released ALL our fish. When we got to shore, walking in the trail, they jumped out of the bush and searched all our gear, found nothing, then tore apart my car, and found nothing again. When we were checked the first time I told him we were staying all day, and releasing everything, targeting BIG fish. I guess the sneaky buggers didnt believe me, so wasted sa whole day trying to catch us in a lie.

S.

If you're abiding by the regs, there's nothing to worry about................They've got a job to do, so no complaints here on their approach.

M.

Agreed. I dont have any respect for those that dont abide by the rules and respect our resources. Nice to see the underfunded MNR do their job. Edited by Bladeburner

If you're abiding by the regs, there's nothing to worry about................They've got a job to do, so no complaints here on their approach.

M.

I hear ya, the timing is what irked me, the Legion is trying to raise a few $$$, next year some guys won't go because of what happened this year

$9800 Ouch is right. Any details on that?

a few, baiting too close to the season, lead shot, he mentioned, there must have been a few more too

M.

X4

And why would the turn out for the derby be affected by whether or not the CO's check everybody? Is it normal for them to keep slot fish etc.??? (I would assume not!)

Burt :)

X4

And why would the turn out for the derby be affected by whether or not the CO's check everybody? Is it normal for them to keep slot fish etc.??? (I would assume not!)

Burt :)

there's not many cottagers in the derby, mostly local residents with a bit of a red neck attitude and for right or wrong, a general disregard for the MNR and COs

I'm pretty sure there will be a few who boycott next year

poaching is one thing, a couple beers, riding without a helmet, or towing without a rigid hitch is another (in my opinion)

hope the Legion had a good turn out and a good amount was raised !

now about the MNR, it seems they just can't win, they're either too lax or too tight. I wouldn't he bothered by them showing up at a tourney and actually would probably welcome it. if they were smart, they would have had a set up to fly the flag and do some public ed.

have spent time around police dogs and while they were working, they weren't the most social of dogs ;)

observations made over the course of a day ice fishing?

Nah, I thinking something more to it then that. The observations kinda one directed no? I mean how was the fishing, what was best lure, was it cold that day?

M.

True but if we all stop abiding by the regs they would have everything to worry about and how would they deal with the power of the populous then? Just a thought.

Cherry picking with all the other infractions in plain sight irks me to no end. Do the job right or stay out of my face.

Edited by moxie

I have no problem with CO's checking me when I'm out. They are there to protect the resources and catch those who do not play by the rules.

Not enough of them IMO.

WR

No there aren't enough of them but don't be fooled in the belief they are protecting anything other than their own jobs. If the ministry really cared about the resource they would man up and be done with the mess that is the commercial and indian slaughter.....er... i mean.... harvest of "OUR" resource. Simply put, we are just easy targets.

Edited by moxie

there's not many cottagers in the derby, mostly local residents with a bit of a red neck attitude and for right or wrong, a general disregard for the MNR and COs

I'm pretty sure there will be a few who boycott next year

poaching is one thing, a couple beers, riding without a helmet, or towing without a rigid hitch is another (in my opinion)

I get it. Unfortunately the Derby will suffer....sad. Picking cherries!!!!! I can tell we'd get along fine....and our bravos could race! lol

quoting moxie

Totally understand and agree but there is one major issue. Its not the MNR or provinces problem to deal with. It is a Canadian Charter of rights. As it stand our Natural Resources legally will always go in order, 1. Native, 2. Commercial and then 3. us as Sport. Its written in stone and something we always have to deal with but hard to accept as they are abused.

Edited by ONbuckhunter

I have no problem getting checked. What I notice is the push to issue tickets. The last CO I dealt with "seemed" dissapointed not charging me. First I approached him as he was already n the parking lot and had to go by him anyway. He didn't stop at checking license and asking questions and had me open up everything and did a bit of a search. Several years ago another CO told he he was disappointed in not charging anyone when he checked a group of 6-8 I was in perch fishing on Couch. Now anytime I deal with a CO or police I go in that they are looking to charge me, not looking to help me in any way.

In all my years fishing and hunting I have only ever had one bad encounter with a CO. I was coming out from duck hunting 10 minutes before case time and he stopped me before I could put my gun in the case and started talking to me. He checked our shells and all our gear and ducks no problem.

This whole conversation took about 15 minutes then he asked me if I knew when case time was. I looked at my watch and told him it was 5 minutes ago and he said he was going to give me a warning. I insisted he charge me because we were going to be going to court and he was going to end up looking like an idiot. A couple of shots sounded a short ways off and he left in a hurry without giving me a warning or charging me.

I have had many, many other interactions with COs over the years and never a problem, I have even offered to take them out in my boat here in the spring becaues I often see people taking OOS fish and over limits of fish.

Just happy to see them doing their jobs.

Never had a problem with a CO.

doesn't matter if it's a derby, a guy fishing with his buddy, group of people renting a hut, the CO should check us all.

And as many have said already, if you're following the rules, nothing for you to be worried about.