one stop hunting

agoertzen

I don't know how much I remembered from the fac days but I would have had no problem with the 2 written tests without the course. But I've only handled lever action rifles and auto shotguns in class so that classroom part helped with that aspect of the practical exam. It is more efficient to do both wt once anyway.

Better to do both at once but ya almost impossible to fail. instructors will help u get thru if you need it.

instructors are taking heat for that just recently, might expect things to get a bit tougher but basic common sense and the slightest knowledge of firearms will get most people passing with flying colours

cbc sent in an undercover instructor to audit the testing standards in each province apparently

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2544002

I did my full courses this past summer. I come from a hunting family/community so it was literally the easiest written test I've ever taken. For the practical portion, just take your time and think of what you are doing, don't be all nervous and weird like some of the people; who probably shouldn't be holding guns at all haha.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on choosing to join the hunting community! I hope that you will be able to find a mentor, after your course is complete, who can help you to put into practice the knowledge you will gain on the course.

The Ontario (hunting) course is excellent, and the federal firearms course is, shall we say, skewed somewhat because of the origins of the Firearms Act. All of the knowledge is useful, some marginally so, but most directly applicable to modern day hunting. Your instructor(s) will ensure you know the material, and have practiced the practical aspects, so by the time you take your tests you should have no problems whatsoever in achieving passing grades.

Remember: there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't understand something, ASK. And good luck to you!

Doug

• 1 month later...

Congratulations!

Turkey season opens 25 April, but you will also need a turkey course to hunt them. Keep an eye on the cut-off dates for deer tags and all of that.

And if you need advice about buying a firearm please send me a note. I do have significant expertise in that regard.

Doug

Congratulations,

Hunting is a signicant talent to practice and learn in my books. Respect your weapon and its direction/backdrop, Respect Nature,and Respect Landowners. You do those things, you will have a lifetime of fun. Someone will take you under their wing a bit, thats the hunter way.