adventure report

Rod Caster

Long held plans are hard to break. Doesn't matter if it means waking up at 4am facing 90km/hr gusts and a thick blanket of snow. Doesn't matter.

Nick (NAW) and Jason (LivinFishin) and I met up in Callander at 545am as we picked a fight with Lake Nipissing on the windiest day of the year. You can guess now who won that fight.

We never made it out to my shack, its too far in blizzard conditions, the old tracks are gone and I won't risk crossing a pressure crack after conditions change like that and visibility is low.

We bumbled around a small area of the lake, getting stuck, guessing and generally just showing up to the fight. We fished three locations and got into a few small fish, but nothing worth discussing.

At 4pm we were done. DONE. I was asleep at 7pm last night. The photos will explain.

Still I had a great time, lots of laughs and some catching up!

Early morning snow

IMG_20140222_052120_zps587d7d90.jpg

IMG_20140222_085706_zpse9f1ccf0.jpg

Nick in his little cubby

IMG_20140222_104816_zps4142e0f2.jpg

IMG_20140222_120637_zpsbb5d0720.jpg

IMG_20140222_130406_zpsc4230663.jpg

Exactly how I felt after hours of wind-blasting

IMG_20140222_131303_zps2694284a.jpg

Yep. It was an adventure!

We pulled out of Orr Lake and the roads where dry, no wind, smooth sailing. Then I get a text from chad saying his road is in the worst condition he has ever seen in before... Hhmmm... Adventure time!

I think we only had to get out and push 3 or 4 times. Hey, you gotta get a work out in somehow right!

Here's a few random pics I took during the day.

How I start most fishing mornings.

image_zps6b8ddf8a.jpg

Chad setting up the Leachman Special.

image_zps735eb341.jpg

Notice the direction the snow is "falling"...

image_zps6bffc60e.jpg

The throttle got a froze up on my auger... So our last set up we had to manually turn holes through 3' of ice... A lovely was to finish off the day...

image_zpsf281e773.jpg

Thanks for the fun times Chad! You jeep guys really like to push your equipment!!! It always makes for an adventure!

I too went to be early... And up just rolling out of bed now..

Edited by N.A.W

It's trips like these that are the most memorable. Adventure indeed!

Nick, that last picture with the auger might be one of my favourite ice fishing pictures of all time

Wow. Thanks man. That holds some weight coming from a professional such as yourself!

Jay needed a break at the halfway point. We twisted that auger right to the handle...

Edited by N.A.W