Tough sloggin for the critters

lew

With all the deep snow this year it must be tough for alot of the animals to get around. This guy was walking across my yard an hour ago and the snow is up to his knees and we've still got a couple months of winter to go.

005-3.jpg

Coming home from the cottage today there were two deer on the road. They ran down the road a long way before they found a place to get off. The banks are certainly getting higher and we don't have anywhere near as much as others.
I was wondering about the wild turkeys too. This kind of winter could be hard on them.

The turkeys just fly and roost Bernie and eat what ever frozen berries and such they can find. And as Rob points out this snow is doing the deer a service as the 'yotes are having a tough time of it. I've watched a few trying to move through the yard and they could never run down a deer unless they caught them on a laneway, road or lake. Great shot Lew!

Ive been keeping an eye on a nice flocl of turkeys since the fall, but havent seen them the last couple weeks. This deep snow will be hard on them for sure.

Its a tought winter. Survival of the fittest will certainly become a reality for some critters. It will only strengthen the one that make it.

S.

Just nature taking its course...

My brother shot a deer close to Christmas this year... Due to the deep snow with an ice crust on top the front of the deers legs were raw and wounded....

Survival of the fittest....

Lots of snow is bad for some... But think about this spring.... Should be great for fish spawning in creeks and rivers... And maybe bring up water levels...?

Nice pic Lew..... Must be nice to sip your coffee and watch that scene....

Our snowmobile club in bobcaygeon has had to post about "be careful of the deer and even moose" as the snow is so deep they really prefer to walk on the hard packed snowmobile trails instead of the deep snow in the bush !!!!! We have had a few close calls already this winter !!!!!! Even the turkeys as well seen a few of them on the trail yesterday just east of fenelon falls !!!!!!

There were a lot of animals on the roads and sholders right after the ice storm. I think some of the trees falling in the forest scared them out.

This time of year,it,s not hard to find moose and deer at the side of the road. It,s do to the salt thats being spread. They will come out and lick the road/snow due to the salt.

I was talking to a neighbor the other day and he said 4 deer have been hit around here in the last couple days and yesterday I had one run across right in front of me.

I'm on on a dirt road a mile & a half in off the hiway and pretty well every time I drive in or out lately we see deer on the road. I guess their just trying to get on a decent smooth place away from the deep snow for a change. Pretty tough for them too with snow piled 4 & 5 feet deep everywhere.

Your thoughts about the salt seem good too Brian, I know deer like it.