Ice Auger Problems

Broker

Hey guys,

Fairly new to ice fishing, started last year and my auger worked fine all year and worked fine for my first outing this year. Its a low end Rapala Nordic (probably my first problem) However today it just wasn't grabbing on my local creek for sunfish, when trying To start a new hole it would just spin all over the ice and make a very wide awkward hole and what normally takes me 30 seconds was taking me 10-20 minutes. Somethings not right just not sure what exactly it is haha. New blades, sharpen blades, new auger I have no clue. Just wanted some experienced input before I made an unnecessary investment. (Ive Maybe drilled 20-30 holes with this auger)

Thanks guys! :worthy:

Did you?

Cut the hole first time out and bang the blades on the ice to clear chips etc.

Let the blades come into contact with metal objects with the blade cover not in place.

I did all the above at one time or other over the years and solution was to replace the blades.

Yep, your blades have been damaged. Replace them and it will work again.

Doont bang the blades, dont cut old holes, dont cut thru junk in the ice, dont push down on auger, and never touch the blades with anything but clean ice. They need to be razor sharp, no nicks or dings, or they wont cut ice.

S.

Excuse the last post, didn't go through as I wanted. Anywho yes I have admittedly bashed the blades of the ice in order to get chips off of it, my bad! haha so I guess I need these replaced. Can I possibly sharpen them on my own by chance?

Heres the picture, most likely backing you guys up on the bashed up blades idea... sorry for my stupidity

5C403D40-9E9D-4D63-B59E-F2615EB31DA0.jpg

My freakin plastic butter knife is sharper than that rusted piece of foreign slag iron. Pay attention, get the Made in Sweden blades, keep the cover on when not drilling, just like when you keep russell the muscle in your pants during idle times. Protect with oil/grease during off season and never bang it on the ice to get stuff off. Do you do that to russell?

Get it warmed up and running good... remove cover...drill hole... flush hole if you like.. pull auger out and blip the throttle to throw the water off. Shut off and then set it carefully on one handle (with fuel filler up) and cutting blades resting on cover cap until it dries/water freezes. Put cover on... Repeat.. (and NEVER put your hand on the auger shaft if the engine is still running!)

Edited by irishfield

LOL Shayne... I guess when I saw "it spins all over the ice" and viewed Thorpe's Rapala powered auger this morning I threw two and two together and got Zero! ......

Now I'm REALLY wondering how you do that to the blades on a manual...

Edited by irishfield

There is a place in Orillia called Rockey's. They do sharpening of those blades. They have a special machine from Sweden. It's $4 per blade. Cut like new after that. Only one problem he is closed on weekends.

Edited by Costa

Thanks Costa, but that's too far for me to drive just to get it sharpened, I think ill just buy new ones from around here. Thanks again. :clapping:

I'd get a new set and ship the old ones to Rocky's for sharpening and have a spare set on hand. I would imagine the turn around would be pretty quick on these. Might be worth a phone call and or email with the pic to get his opinion.

Before you throw the blades away try shimming the blades. Take a soup can or a piece of thin tin and cut 2 pieces 3/16 X 2", loosen the screws a little and shove the pieces under the cutting side of the blade then tighten. Try that. It will tilt your blades a bit and dig-in.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you buy new blades, if you have banged it, it can throw the pitch off the auger and you're augers toast.

Hint: when you drill through the ice and clean the hole, reme with the upper screw part not the cutting end.

Lots of used augers in garage sales that are toast because they have been banged and the pitch is gone.

Edited by Fish Farmer