Awesome Canoe Trip Doc(Amatuer)

Musky or Specks

Brad thank's so much for posting this!

I paddled the Fawn solo as part of lengthy expedition, although the difference in my case was I navigated the river upstream. One of my favorite all time trips.

On that same trip I also paddled the entire length of the Asheweig, another very similar river with the same quality of trout fishing.

This coming summer after a 20 year absence I'll be returning to the Asheweig. I cannot wait!

Edited by Mike Borger

Brad thank's so much for posting this!

I paddled the Fawn solo as part of lengthy expedition, although the difference in my case was I navigated the river upstream. One of my favorite all time trips.

On that same trip I also paddled the entire length of the Asheweig, another very similar river with the same quality of trout fishing.

This coming summer after a 20 year absence I'll be returning to the Asheweig. I cannot wait!

I knew you would enjoy this Mike ,thought it would bring back some fond memories for you.

July should be fun :)

It will. I think I'm looking forward to this trip even more than the Sutton. Still, it's a far cry from a 30-60 day canoe trip.

Bill and I will be travelling and fishing on the Asheweig with the Oji-Cree of the Kasabonika Lake First Nations. I'll be documenting the trip and Bill will be taking photos.

It will. I think I'm looking forward to this trip even more than the Sutton. Still, it's a far cry from a 30-60 day canoe trip.

Bill and I will be travelling and fishing on the Asheweig with the Oji-Cree of the Kasabonika Lake First Nations. I'll be documenting the trip and Bill will be taking photos.

with my new job hours and having all that time off through the week I'm going to be doing a lot of soloing for the first time in my life. Bought a new solo canoe.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreational/pack/

Mike did you ever use a kayak paddle for soloing or were you strictly a one blade guy?Trying to decide which way to go. Mostly lake travelling but there will be some river work and I do like to run the white water.

with my new job hours and having all that time off through the week I'm going to be doing a lot of soloing for the first time in my life. Bought a new solo canoe.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreational/pack/

Mike did you ever use a kayak paddle for soloing or were you strictly a one blade guy?Trying to decide which way to go. Mostly lake travelling but there will be some river work and I do like to run the white water.

When I informed my doctor of my plans for all this soloing she asked me how I felt about if I had a heart attack and died in the bush. I told her that would be beautiful. That is a way I would chose to go.

When I informed my doctor of my plans for all this soloing she asked me how I felt about if I had a heart attack and died in the bush. I told her that would be beautiful. That is a way I would chose to go.

Doing what you love,what better way if you have the choice!

Most of my solo trips involved both flatwater and some serious river running and I always had two standard straight shaft paddles with me. I'm waaay more comfortable using that style than anything else.

On one trip to Quetico which was all flatwater I used a bent shaft paddle and loved it.

With all due respect to the guys in the video and all the replies from people who want to do this - to me this does not seem like an enjoyable vacation.

I just don't get it. Sorry.

Lots of people don't. :lol:

I was never in a rush when I did my long extended wilderness trips. I had no shedule and could do whatever it was I felt like.

I've always said only the grossly rich or really poor can do a lengthy trip like that. (I was in the latter category LOL!) For the average person it's impossible to take 2-4 months off and I feel incredibly fortunate that I was able to live this type of lifestyle for a number of years.

On long expeditions every day is a new adventure, as unless you're windbound you're travelling and seeing amazing new sights. Yes there's physical labor involved but it's taken in stride. As you get stronger and stronger you revel in it.

On my solo trips I ate when I was hungry, slept when I was tired, fished whenever I felt like it and answered to no one. Trust me that's a great feeling.

Everything needed was carried on my back - food, clothing, shelter, transportation... It truly hit home at least to me how little one needs in life to be happy.

These trips also changed me as a person profoundly. They instilled such a deep sense of accomplishment in me I realized that I was capable of anything.

I could go on, but I'll stop. This is actually one of my favorite topics and I tend to ramble.