Awesome Canoe Trip Doc(Amatuer)

Musky or Specks

There's a weird feeling you get after humping a SportsPal through 750M of the thickest bush/deadfall only to be rewarded at the end with bee stings and 10lb walleye :) There are parts of it you absolutely hate and parts of it you absolutely love. In the end (at least for me) I've never regretted a single second of it

Lots of people don't. :lol:

I was never in a rush when I did my long extended wilderness trips. I had no shedule and could do whatever it was I felt like.

I've always said only the grossly rich or really poor can do a lengthy trip like that. (I was in the latter category LOL!) For the average person it's impossible to take 2-4 months off and I feel incredibly fortunate that I was able to live this type of lifestyle for a number of years.

On long expeditions every day is a new adventure, as unless you're windbound you're travelling and seeing amazing new sights. Yes there's physical labor involved but it's taken in stride. As you get stronger and stronger you revel in it.

On my solo trips I ate when I was hungry, slept when I was tired, fished whenever I felt like it and answered to no one. Trust me that's a great feeling.

Everything needed was carried on my back - food, clothing, shelter, transportation... It truly hit home at least to me how little one needs in life to be happy.

These trips also changed me as a person profoundly. They instilled such a deep sense of accomplishment in me I realized that I was capable of anything.

I could go on, but I'll stop. This is actually one of my favorite topics and I tend to ramble.

I am glad to have spent a couple of days paddling with ya , ... I need to get to Quetico before I am too old .... LOL

It's about the sense of accomplishment. I'll equate it with the extreme of climbing a mountain. It's physically demanding and involves hardship and its not about relaxation that most equate with vacations. When I'm doing an extended trip with crappy weather, bugs, long overgrown portages I always think why am I doing this??? Then its over and I'm done and all I can think is what an awesome adventure can't wait to do something like it again. I don't do the same trip twice I always want to see strange new places.

I found the one part where the guys summed up the trip very enlightening.

This is what he said, and it rings true to life in general.

Quote:

"You need to work hard every day and you're not going to come out to a big answer, or THE answer, you're just going to find yourself at a new spot a little further down the river. You're going to be a little stronger, you're going to grow with the people around you and you're going to wake up the next day and you're going to do it again."

EDIT: Should have made that enlightening post my next one, jeez, look at my post count :o

Edited by Joey

I found the one part where the guys summed up the trip very enlightening.

This is what he said, and it rings true to life in general.

Quote:

"You need to work hard every day and you're not going to come out to a big answer, or THE answer, you're just going to find yourself at a new spot a little further down the river. You're going to be a little stronger, you're going to grow with the people around you and you're going to wake up the next day and you're going to do it again."

EDIT: Should have made that enlightening post my next one, jeez, look at my post count :o

That's a good find. For sure you should have saved that post Now your 10,000th will probably be something profound like "yup"

I only got to watch a snippet. But I really liked what I saw.

Very cool video. I used to live in Pickle Lake back in the day. One day i would like to go back for a few weeks to explore, and get back to my roots. Maybe paddle some of the same rivers.

I still have an old mesh back cap from the "Pickle Lake Black Fly Festival". And a few mugs from the "Pickle Lake Ice Worm Festival"... Crazy place to call home.

Those guys are a great inspiration.

Thanks for posting :thumbsup_anim: . I can't wait to watch the entire video.