Why should I get fined, when....

nofish4me

..... Cat owners have no problem?

I own a "Hunting Dog" (Beagle) and take it out for regular "exercise & training". According to the reg's, I can be fined for not having a Hunting License. During the "Off Season" I'm covered under a "Training Permit" which costs virtually nothing.

So, why can cat owners let their cat/cats out to roam any time of year and not be fined under the same reg's?

My guess would be, they aren't "hunting dogs". hahaha

Thought this might be a fun topic.

Please keep responses light hearted. Hahaha

Edited by nofish4me

Because cats are the superior animal....

But really, as far as I know, most municipalities have by-laws against cats being able to roam outdoors. Check your local by-laws, if there is a 'problem cat' I believe you have the right to trap it and bring it to the humane society, which then the owner would have to pay a decent fine to get the cat back.

I own a "Hunting Dog" (Beagle) and take it out for regular "exercise & training". According to the reg's, I can be fined for not having a Hunting License. During the "Off Season" I'm covered under a "Training Permit" which costs virtually nothing.

What reg's are you talking about? Covered for what with a training permit?

I have a 3 year old German Shorthair that I run for an hour every day. Would love to know if I'm breaking any laws LOL!

I was afraid someone might ask. Hahaha. I'll post it once I find it again.

"You must have an authorization or licence issued from the local ministry office to conduct dog training and field trials on game mammals and game birds during the closed season, or an appropriate hunting licence during the open season."

I guess it's best if there is no training involved. Hahaha

Edited by nofish4me

I read that in order to go raccoon hunting you have to have a registered hunting dog. I have never heard this before and years ago we shot all kinds of raccoons without having a dog present. I own a mixed breed a Beagle crossed with a German Sheppard, so if I take her fishing or hunting am I breaking some new law ?

Outdoor cats cause so much damage it's unbelievable! If you have a cat, do the wild animals a favour and keep those things inside!!!!

Agree 100%. We have a neighbor in Bobcaygeon who started feeding the ferrel cats 2 summers ago. One of my wives favorite pastimes is reading and she could sit in the yard for hours in her Muskoka chair armed with peanuts to feed the dozens of chipmunks and bluejays. Two summers of the neighbor feeding the cats and the chipmunks are completely wiped out...we literally only seen one all last summer...when before we used to see as many as 4-5 at a time. And to add insult to injury most weekends when we get to the cottage Friday night we will have to chase a bunch of those cats off our porch when we get up there :angry: I have nothing against cats...we have a house cat and she is a great pet and companion. I just don't understand people who think it's okay to let there cats out. To me it is one of the most despicable disrespectful things you can do to your neighbors or your neighborhood. I have seen a favorite fun pastime of Debbe's completely wiped out by outdoor cats. Very upsetting and sad.

I read that in order to go raccoon hunting you have to have a registered hunting dog. I have never heard this before and years ago we shot all kinds of raccoons without having a dog present. I own a mixed breed a Beagle crossed with a German Sheppard, so if I take her fishing or hunting am I breaking some new law ?

I think you'll find that applies to hunting coons at night.

Agree 100%. We have a neighbor in Bobcaygeon who started feeding the ferrel cats 2 summers ago. One of my wives favorite pastimes is reading and she could sit in the yard for hours in her Muskoka chair armed with peanuts to feed the dozens of chipmunks and bluejays. Two summers of the neighbor feeding the cats and the chipmunks are completely wiped out...we literally only seen one all last summer...when before we used to see as many as 4-5 at a time. And to add insult to injury most weekends when we get to the cottage Friday night we will have to chase a bunch of those cats off our porch when we get up there :angry: I have nothing against cats...we have a house cat and she is a great pet and companion. I just don't understand people who think it's okay to let there cats out. To me it is one of the most despicable disrespectful things you can do to your neighbors or your neighborhood. I have seen a favorite fun pastime of Debbe's completely wiped out by outdoor cats. Very upsetting and sad.

You need to borrow that beagle for a couple of weekends, the cats will get the run put on them pretty quick! All kidding aside, if these cats are causing a problem I would consider calling animal control, you might have to borrow a live trap, and catch them but animal control will take them away for you.

So I

You need to borrow that beagle for a couple of weekends, the cats will get the run put on them pretty quick! All kidding aside, if these cats are causing a problem I would consider calling animal control, you might have to borrow a live trap, and catch them but animal control will take them away for you.

So I guess it would be illegal just to pop a few of them off? :huh::angel:

^^^ yes , so long as it's done humanely , you are allowed to dispatch any stray without identifying tags on private property ... been there done that ,after nearly losing my hand to a bite from a stray.

those who follow me on FB can attest to it .

All of our squirrels and chipmunks disappeared one year on the island up North.. but I really appreciate that the wire chewing, nest building buggers are gone.... and more so the lynx walking by from time to time!

I understand that Wayne...but thankfully we have never had an issue from critters chewing things up or being where they shouldn't be. Maybe it is because we have winter tennants so someone is always there.However we do have a small opening to the crawl space under the cottage that the critters can always get in. I can't get to it from under the cottage...to tight a fit for me...and I would have to rip the porch apart to access from outside. So we used to find peanut shells under the cottage. Now we have chipmunk and bird carcasses left by those darling cats. And it is sand under there as well...which means to them it is a big old litter box. Yeah I just love people's outdoor cats :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: